1916 first aid pouch?

MattOravik

Good thing I rechecked the site where I bought my 1913 dated pistol belt. I spotted this 1st aid set named to the same guy. I'm not sure exactly which model this is. It's pea green and has early fasteners.

post-137-1271441122.jpg

post-137-1271441129.jpg

The bandage tin is unopened and dated 1916.

I also have the same first aid pouch marked R.I.A. 1916, thanks for posting this topic! Im curious to here what others have to say.

I was also looking at that 1913 dated M1912 pistol belt to complete a display i have been working on, but in less then a second it was already sold, man you are fast! :pinch:

David.

post-9256-1271442100.jpg

Good thing I rechecked the site where I bought my 1913 dated pistol belt. I spotted this 1st aid set named to the same guy. I'm not sure exactly which model this is. It's pea green and has early fasteners.

Those wouldn't be blood stains....would they?!

Sabrejet :pinch:

Haha I guess I just happened to look at the site at the right time! I didn't know how long it had been listed and was filling out the order form as fast as I could. lol.

I'm not sure if those are blood stains or not. I was also wondering about that. They seem to be to splattered to be rust.

-Matt.

craig_pickrall

I think blood turns black on something like that pouch. It may be iodine stains.

New Romantic

Hi Matt, I can't remember if the webbing sewn to the back came out in 1914 or 1915. I'd date your pouch to that time. In 1916 the glove snaps were replaced by the Carr snaps.

What kind of bandage would be held in the early first aid pouches prior to the 1916 dated bandage tins?

I have seen these tins dated as early as 1906.

mach1derful
The 1906 dated packet that sold on ebay a while ago:

Nice! Nice! I jsut picked up a early pouch so now I have to find one like that! How much did that one sell for? Are those wire hooks supposed to be there or is that a modification?

Nice! Nice! I jsut picked up a early pouch so now I have to find one like that! How much did that one sell for? Are those wire hooks supposed to be there or is that a modification?

I forget the exact price but I think it was outrageous. Those hooks are supposed to be on that one. That is like the earliest model of the bandage tin and was hung directly on the belt without a pouch.

-Matt.

I agree that the one you posted here is from 1916.

Are the snaps brass or metal?

This one is dated 1916 and has metal snaps & sewn on hooks.

Also came with a 1916 first aid tin.

post-2260-1272025785.jpg

Pep

mach1derful
I forget the exact price but I think it was outrageous. Those hooks are supposed to be on that one. That is like the earliest model of the bandage tin and was hung directly on the belt without a pouch.

-Matt.

Matt, wow, that's pretty interesting, no wonder lot of examples didn't survive! good to note that judging by the dents on the tin cover, they smartened up and started putting it in the bandage pouch once they began manufacture.

Hello guys!

I'm not an expert on these WWI bandage tins, but I love them a lot. But I must say that the splendid, hooked one, is not convincing me...Look at the picture I got time ago from the Forum (I think so, but not sure..., maybe from eBay): very same tin, very same month, day and year and no hooks... Look also at the 1907 tin with one surviving hook: the attachment is very different. It looks like someone took a nice June 27 1906 later style tin, punched two holes in the rim and attached two well "antiquized" hooks on it and sold it for a fortune...Maybe I'm wrong, anyway. I would like to know what you are thinking about...

Fausto

post-8381-1272034415.jpg

New Romantic
Matt, wow, that's pretty interesting, no wonder lot of examples didn't survive! good to note that judging by the dents on the tin cover, they smartened up and started putting it in the bandage pouch once they began manufacture.

The individual first aid dressing was an experimental item in the early 1900's. Up through 1903/1904 a prototype dressing and pouch were tested and this item was worn on the double loop Krag cartridge belts. The cartridge belt had two grommets on the back for the first aid pouch. See this topic for more info- http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=42606&hl=

When the M1903 pocket cartridge belt was adopted, the first aid dressing was originally to be carried in one of the belt's 9 pockets. Then in 1904 the first aid dressing and pouch were officially adopted. The pouch was to be worn hanging from the belt.

Further changes occurred in 1907 with the adoption of an improved, thicker first aid dressing packet . This is the first aid dressing used and made through 1918 with various dates, the most commonly seen are 1916, 1917, and 1918.

If anyone is interested in the evolution of the first aid pouch from 1910-1918, then here's a topic I did a few years ago- http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=25571&hl=

From the article I read(Company of Military Historians) the M1907 pouch had the M1907 hook replaced with the 1910 steel hook we have all come to know and love. This was the first pattern M1910 first aid pouch.

After the M1911 pouch came out it was replaced very fast by the 2nd pattern M1910, then 3rd ptrn then the fourth. The last pattern(5th) is the most common with the normal snaps. Last dated one I saw was 1942.

This pic is of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th patterns. So after the M1911 and before the common WW1 version.

post-2260-1272037168.jpg

Hi Frankie! I remember your fine work on these first aid pouches and tins. I would be very interested in your opinion about these two June 27, 1906 tins, one without hooks and one with hooks... Thanks a lot...

Fausto

mach1derful

From the photos, it looks like the difference between the 2nd and 3rd pattern is the stitching looks to be more reenforced around the snaps?

This would be the 2nd pattern m1907??:

post-10771-1272043717.jpg

From my point of view the one you pictured mach1derful is indeed a second pattern M1910 pouch.

You are also correct about the fold, the 3rd pattern had more of a hem to it so the snaps would have more material to "hold" on too.

I saw the one you have pictured on Ebay. Nice example of a 2nd pattern M1910.

The M1907 used different material and older type glove snaps.

Just my opinion...

mach1derful
From my point of view the one you pictured mach1derful is indeed a second pattern M1910 pouch.

You are also correct about the fold, the 3rd pattern had more of a hem to it so the snaps would have more material to "hold" on too.

I saw the one you have pictured on Ebay. Nice example of a 2nd pattern M1910.

The M1907 used different material and older type glove snaps.

Just my opinion...

Pep, thanks, just to double tap it, Here's the photo showing the snaps. I think it is a M1907 because of the earlier snaps, but I may be wrong. They are not the same as the m1910 pouches I have.

I feel like I may have hijacked this thread slightly with a bunch of questions, but I think we addressed some good stuff.

post-10771-1272131002.jpg

Pep, thanks, just to double tap it, Here's the photo showing the snaps. I think it is a M1907 because of the earlier snaps, but I may be wrong. They are not the same as the m1910 pouches I have.

I feel like I may have hijacked this thread slightly with a bunch of questions, but I think we addressed some good stuff.

Pics below are of my M1907 dated 1909.

The female part of the snap has a more clam shell shape.

Indeed one of the changes between the two along with material, was an "improved" snap.

post-2260-1272133052.jpg

post-2260-1272133067.jpg

I have learned a lot from "hijacked" threads but this was not the intent.

Pep