Question about variants of Marine Raider SSI

tsellati

The photograph below was kindly provided by Donna Wosk -

MACRaidersallx3.jpg

I am curious to learn more about the basis for the variation in patch design such as the different size and style of skulls. Were the different styles worn by members of the different Raider battalions? Or is it that one was more commonly worn than another? Am I correct in understanding that any of these variants might have been worn by Raiders operating in the PTO during the war?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

The photograph below was kindly provided by Donna Wosk -

MACRaidersallx3.jpg

I am curious to learn more about the basis for the variation in patch design such as the different size and style of skulls. Were the different styles worn by members of the different Raider battalions? Or is it that one was more commonly worn than another? Am I correct in understanding that any of these variants might have been worn by Raiders operating in the PTO during the war?

Tim, When your overseas, You can have the patch made by several different vendors from a mamason to a small side road store to the U.S. Gov issue.

I bet these were like that. Some could have been hand sewn.

Best

Matt

During WWII there were many manufacturers (hundreds) in the US alone making patches for the different services. There were general guidelines or descriptions given to these makers to produce the patches. The different factories used different machines, materials, techniques or even added there own spin on the patches to make them more unique. This accounts for some of the variations seen.

Then there were theatre-made patches made anywhere in the world where a G.I might be and buy them. Sometimes someone would be charged with ordering and buying locally made patches for the unit overseas. Some of these were very small shops and some were larger factories. Some of the very first Marine Corps shoulder sleeve insignia produced in WWII were made in Australia when units were refitting there after Guadalcanal.

Marines as a general rule would have worn these patches on dress uniforms only as, unlike the army, no SSI were worn in the field.

During WWII there were many manufacturers (hundreds) in the US alone making patches for the different services. There were general guidelines or descriptions given to these makers to produce the patches. The different factories used different machines, materials, techniques or even added there own spin on the patches to make them more unique. This accounts for some of the variations seen.

Then there were theatre-made patches made anywhere in the world where a G.I might be and buy them. Sometimes someone would be charged with ordering and buying locally made patches for the unit overseas. Some of these were very small shops and some were larger factories. Some of the very first Marine Corps shoulder sleeve insignia produced in WWII were made in Australia when units were refitting there after Guadalcanal.

Marines as a general rule would have worn these patches on dress uniforms only as, unlike the army, no SSI were worn in the field.

I particularly like the style of the smaller 2" twill patch. That one looks like it could have been theater- and, perhaps even, hand-made.

Thanks for all the information you have provided.

Tim

No problem, glad to help.

Here are two other variations of the Raider patch and the three Wosk variations you posted before. The next one on my list is the J.J. Cash Co. Aussie-made Raider version. With those going for about $300-$400, and new car payments to make, I don't see one in my very near future though. ;)

post-6395-1271491672.jpg

Not sure what you mean here, but to avoid any confusion, the 2 inch twill patch being sold by the Wosk Family is not a theater made or even a hand-made example. Its an original WWII era American made version.

Vance

I particularly like the style of the smaller 2" twill patch. That one looks like it could have been theater- and, perhaps even, hand-made.

Thanks for all the information you have provided.

Tim

Not sure what you mean here, but to avoid any confusion, the 2 inch twill patch being sold by the Wosk Family is not a theater made or even a hand-made example. Its an original WWII era American made version.

Vance

Vance,

Thank you for the clarification. I was merely speculating, obviously incorrectly, that the 2" twill patch was theater and/or hand-made. As you point out, it is neither.

I am going to see if Donna has one of these available so I can add it to my collection.

Tim

Vance,

Thank you for the clarification. I was merely speculating, obviously incorrectly, that the 2" twill patch was theater and/or hand-made. As you point out, it is neither.

I am going to see if Donna has one of these available so I can add it to my collection.

Tim

I picked this one up, and have never seen another like it on a uniform, or stand alone. It's a fully embroidered small one.

post-470-1271897984.jpg

post-470-1271897998.jpg

I picked this one up, and have never seen another like it on a uniform, or stand alone. It's a fully embroidered small one.

Wow, that is a gorgeous example!

Tim

Yea, that's a real beauty. It's rare enough to find a uniform with a Raider patch still sewed on it, let alone a fully embroidered mini. That was one of your rag house finds, if I remember correctly from one of your other posts?

Yes, it was. In the 20 plus years of going to the rags and picking up stuff, I only found 2 Raider patched ones. This is one, and the other was an unnamed blues that had the small twill patch, and believe it or not an aviation striker. That one was lost during a flooded garage incident. The blues were not named. The Heideman blouse belonged to this Sgt in the 3rd Raider Btn. from Chicago,Ill