Navy Pennant for the USS Salem

paulyp99

post-3656-1271357047.jpg

I recently got this pennant for the USS Salem. I'm not sure if its for the CL-3 CM 11 or CA-139. Obviously without knowing which ship it's for I don't know how old it is. All I ca tell from seeing the pennant is that it is fairly old due to the fading of the color. It measures about 26 inches long by 8 inches in height.

It is odd in the fact that unlike other Navy ships pennants I've seen it has Salem, Mass under the USS Salem name. I know that the city of Salem never had any of the three ships as a museum piece or anything so that makes me wonder why it has the city name on it. I was thinking maybe it was made to commemorate the USS Salem coming to Salem, Mass, I know in CL-3 made a few stops in there in the early 1900's but I doubt the pennant is that old.

Cobrahistorian
post-3656-1271357047.jpg

I recently got this pennant for the USS Salem. I'm not sure if its for the CL-3 CM 11 or CA-139. Obviously without knowing which ship it's for I don't know how old it is. All I ca tell from seeing the pennant is that it is fairly old due to the fading of the color. It measures about 26 inches long by 8 inches in height.

It is odd in the fact that unlike other Navy ships pennants I've seen it has Salem, Mass under the USS Salem name. I know that the city of Salem never had any of the three ships as a museum piece or anything so that makes me wonder why it has the city name on it. I was thinking maybe it was made to commemorate the USS Salem coming to Salem, Mass, I know in CL-3 made a few stops in there in the early 1900's but I doubt the pennant is that old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Salem_(CM-11)

Looks a lot like CM-11. The bow isn't long enough to be CA-139 and isn't vertical enough to be CL-3.

I'd date your pennant to 1942-44. Really nice!

Jon