Service Pilot Wings - Genuine??

Harrythepicker

Harrythepicker

I have often wondered about these wings. The reverse is impressed marked STERLING (lower left) but no maker mark. Are these genuine or no? Thank you for any help.........Harry C

post-10695-1271185968.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Collector Greg
I have heard varying opinions on these, I tend to avoid them. Anyone else?

I agree with Paul. This one looks like it could be authentic, but I have heard varying opinions on them too.

JPMMILITARY
I agree with Paul. This one looks like it could be authentic, but I have heard varying opinions on them too.

I LIKE THEM BUT I ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM THIS THIN TYPE STAMPED AS CHINA IS PUTTING OUT ALLOT OF THESE RIGHT KNOW IN STERLING

John Cooper

Well it appears that the jury's still out on these... as always the first step is to look at the construction and then compare them to know good examples of the same wing pattern. I like to think of these as hollow back wings which just may have been a different process and likely cheaper.

If JPMMILITARY and share some examples of the Chinese wings I think that would be helpful since they only one I have seen from China is an older style AMCRAFT with the typicall pattern on the reverse.

Here is a wing I feel is good that I got from another forum member. I will post two standard shots and one detail shot of the reverse which is the area of focus on the wing this thread is about.

Cheers

John

post-227-1272161798.jpg

post-227-1272161810.jpg

I'm generally wary of these rib-backed wings too. However, I believe some of them are legitimate, including John's. Here is a wing found in a grouping that belonged to a man who flew as a navigator during WWII, then stayed in the Air Force for a full career. His wings consisted of a credible sequence from WWII navigator to USAF Nav-Obs and finally to the USAF Sr. Nav-Obs. Both WWII wings were of the graduation variety including this one:

post-3515-1272215922.jpg