Coast Guard Patch - Real or Memorex??

summersdogs

summersdogs

Hello to all,

This patch measures approx 3.75" x 3.25". The embroidery is done on what appears to my untrained and elderly eyes to be some kind of felt with a backing that looks like cloth. Is the patch "real" and if so, what is the age?

Thanks much,

Lynne

post-1405-1271183950.jpg

post-1405-1271183958.jpg

summersdogs

Hi, Bluehawk. Thanks so much for your replies and the link to Mr. Wessling's website. I couldn't find a patch there just like the one I posted, but I'm going to email him today and ask if he would consider looking at this one.

Lynne

I’m not a Coast Guard patch expert but your patch has the “Racing Stripe” in the background. The stripe was designed in 1964 and put into use in 1967. Your patch is real and would date from 1967 to what appears to be the late 1970’s. Hope that helps, Gregg

Garth Thompson
I’m not a Coast Guard patch expert but your patch has the “Racing Stripe” in the background. The stripe was designed in 1964 and put into use in 1967. Your patch is real and would date from 1967 to what appears to be the late 1970’s. Hope that helps, Gregg

Gregg is correct on the "racing stripe", this patch would be from no earlier than the 70's. It is a non official "gedunk" item.

Garth

summersdogs
Gregg is correct on the "racing stripe", this patch would be from no earlier than the 70's. It is a non official "gedunk" item.

Garth

Many thanks to Gregg and Garth for taking time to post. This is just the information I was looking for.

Except what is "gedunk" ? It sounds like what might be growing in the drawers of my fridge. :huh:

Lynne

:lol: "gedunk" means that the patch was gotten by anyone who was alive when it was issued... sort of like the National Defense Service Medal.

At least that's how it has been explained to me long ago.

In the Navy a gedunk was the canteen or snack bar in a vessel, I'm told, where the candy vending machines were/are. The sound candy makes when it hits the bottom of the tray is "gedunk" (pronounced with a hard "gee").

So, the connection between a snack bar and a patch might be that it could have been gotten from a vending machine, so to speak.

Many thanks to Gregg and Garth for taking time to post. This is just the information I was looking for.

Except what is "gedunk" ? It sounds like what might be growing in the drawers of my fridge. :huh:

Lynne

It also means something you could pick up any where, not issue. By it at the exchange or in an off base shop to put on your jacket and such.

Steve Hesson

summersdogs
:lol: "gedunk" means that the patch was gotten by anyone who was alive when it was issued... sort of like the National Defense Service Medal.

At least that's how it has been explained to me long ago.

In the Navy a gedunk was the canteen or snack bar in a vessel, I'm told, where the candy vending machines were/are. The sound candy makes when it hits the bottom of the tray is "gedunk" (pronounced with a hard "gee").

So, the connection between a snack bar and a patch might be that it could have been gotten from a vending machine, so to speak.

To Steve and Bluehawk, I truly appreciate the clarification of "gedunk". The fuzzy blue stuff growing in my fridge can continue to be just familiar old "mold". :yucky:

Here is part of the response I received from my email to Mr. Wessling, whose Coast Guard patch wbsite is spectacular:

"I've not seen this specific generic patch, but have seen several similar.

It's 'real', but was probably privately produced more as a generic novelty patch, rather than for any specific unit in any 'official' capacity.

This design is usually seen with 'ACADEMY' at the upper right and often with a class year at the bottom.

I have records of this design as an Academy generic patch, and specifically for the classes of 1980 and 1982.

Other years may also exist, but I haven't seen them.

As the Class of '80 first came aboard in 1976, the patches may go back that far, but I've seen no evidence of use

past the mid-1980s. I think they were used by cadets on civilian blazers, not for class reunions.

So getting back to your patch, I would speculate that whoever made up the Academy patches tried to make a

Coast Guard generic version also. It may have sold locally in New England, but apparently did not catch on nationally and soon disappeared. Date-wise, probably early 1980s.

Thanks for a new design ... it will get into the Archive eventually ... it's about 35% complete of what I know about.

---- Rex M. 'Wess' Wessling, LCDR, USCG(Ret), CGA '67"

What an interesting and appreciated response. And thanks again to the ever-helpful forum members. You rock !

Lynne