Camouflaged Mosquito cover query

gaz232sqn

Gaz: This isn't the only example, but here is Lt. Col. Evans Carlson at Tarawa Atoll, with the Net-Cover for all to see:

post-3226-1271467586.jpg

There is another Tarawa shot of Carlson, "Red Mike" Edson and a group of Marines questioning a Japanese prisoner which shows the Cover even more clearly.

Hi

Thanks for this one , this is a cool pic,showing the cover in use, excellent period shot......

Nice one,and thanks again :thumbsup:

The Marines had these in stock on Okinawa until not too many years ago. In 2007 one of our forum members bought one from a Marine "who says he got a few of them that had been DRMO'd out of supply on the island" (released to the surplus market by the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office).

Remember there are two different kinds too, Im assuming the more khaki cover is earlier manufacture or just a manufacturer variation.....mike

post-350-1271520003.jpg

The Marines had these in stock on Okinawa until not too many years ago. In 2007 one of our forum members bought one from a Marine "who says he got a few of them that had been DRMO'd out of supply on the island" (released to the surplus market by the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office).

Thanks,that is again very interesting,I assumed these were, out of circulation around about Nam.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Remember there are two different kinds too, Im assuming the more khaki cover is earlier manufacture or just a manufacturer variation.....mike

post-350-1271520003.jpg

Hi Mike.

This is great, I am amazed there is,so much interest and info,on these covers. :w00t:

I was definetely not aware ,that they came in different colour types, I wonder if your right,about the Khaki type,being the earlier type issued/manafactured?

I bought this cover as I knew,it would be a cheaper alternative,to the USMC camo covers.

I saw a USMC camo cover go this week, for mega - bucks on ebay........stupid money ,hundreds of pounds!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the info :thumbsup:

Yeah, these are nice little covers and the more khaki variation also has a different foliage band, its not connected all the way around.......mike

Yeah, these are nice little covers and the more khaki variation also has a different foliage band, its not connected all the way around.......mike

Mike- All of the Wartime photos I've seen of these Covers in use show the 1" or so gaps in the foliage band, which are opposite each other. Also, notice that the camo shades on your khaki-band Cover are nearly identical to the shades on the H.B.T. cloth, Shelter Halves, etc., whereas the later ones are noticeably different in shade. Nice early Cover you got there! :thumbsup:

A close-up:

post-3226-1271535166.jpg

Here's a weird one: the netting on the left is printed in a "reversed" color scheme like the Ponchos...never seen another like it:

post-3226-1271535326.jpg

Those are some very interesting early ones!!... :w00t: ..you just dont see them come up for sale often, only seen a hand full of them....hey made the later version by the truckloads i guess!.....mike

heres a side by side comparison of the bands

post-350-1271541082.jpg

Those are some very interesting early ones!!... :w00t: ..you just dont see them come up for sale often, only seen a hand full of them....hey made the later version by the truckloads i guess!.....mike

heres a side by side comparison of the bands

post-350-1271541082.jpg

Music to my eyes :wacko: :w00t: Yours even has a "Marine mustard-tan" foliage band, making it a double-keeper :drool2:

Dittoes about the availability of the 2 variations; you're the only one I know of besides me that has one of the "split band" Covers- I don't think many of 'em survived. The newer ones I used to see all over the place at gun shows and surplus stores, but not so much any more.

I don't have it scanned in (dang), but there is a great clear shot in the "Our Kind of War" Raider Units History (a treasure chest of pics and stories) of War Dog Handler Pfc. John Kleeman on Bougainville with his pooch, and a Cover-net on his lid with the gap right in front.

Gentlemen- sorry, the gap isn't exactly in front, but still very visible toward the right side of the pot.

Pfc. John J. Kleeman, 1st Marine War Dog Platoon, 2nd Marine Raider Regiment, with "Caesar"...

post-3226-1271603062.jpg

It must've been a really hot day- could be that's why he's khaki-shirted :think:

Here is the same guy, with the same dawg, all 'flaged out with Coat and H.B.T. Pot Cover:

post-3226-1271605948.jpg

Thanks again.

I've never seen,a version like this before,and don't suppose I ever will :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

I've never seen,a version like this before,and don't suppose I ever will :thumbsup:

Patience, Gaz; most of what I have laying around on display is stuff I never thought I'd find ;)

Patience, Gaz; most of what I have laying around on display is stuff I never thought I'd find ;)

Thanks mate,that's good advice, good things come,to those who wait ;)

Mercenary25

Wow, I've seen those type of covers being sold for very cheap. MUCH cheaper than HBT type ones. I guess I'll have to pick up this cover to have another VN era example helmet.

Cheers.

Corpsmancollector

Great discussion gents!

They're super pics from Our Kind of War Jim, that book is a gold mind of pictures!

I'm trying to hold out for one of those early covers, the only one I have at the moment I purchased from Jim Moran as part of a grouping. I don't think its seen the light of day many times!

Great discussion gents!

They're super pics from Our Kind of War Jim, that book is a gold mind of pictures!

I'm trying to hold out for one of those early covers, the only one I have at the moment I purchased from Jim Moran as part of a grouping. I don't think its seen the light of day many times!

Hey, Will- wondered when you were gonna jump in here, you being one of the Forum 'Flagists :lol: Kind of amazing that this fairly common, simple piece of gear would create a 3-page discussion thread; up until recently, most guys didn't know that there were 2 different variations of these (the only reason I knew was from looking at pictures :ermm: )

That last photo I put up was from Jim Moran's reference book, and the War Dog Guy is out of the Raider history which, as you said, is a wealth of photos and history. I sent Jim a photocopy of the 1942 Helmet Cover Specs (which called for foliage slits!!)some years ago, and we had some good correspondence. I would recommend all the W.W.II Marine (and Army) unit histories as well, because they're all heavily pictured (2nd and 3rd Division books are heavy on the 'flage B) ).