Camouflaged Mosquito cover query

gaz232sqn

Jim, throw in one more version that isn't mentioned here. It is the solid OD green version. Look here at post # 1:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=969

Dang it, Craig, that's one puppy I don't have :pinch: I was just reading that thread today, and some of the photos I posted here are already up over there...(oops :ermm:) I've only seen one of those O.D. ones in my whole life, at my friend's Dad's hunting cabin years ago. I didn't even know they were a military item!

craig_pickrall

I can't gurantee they are military but I can tell you where I got them. About 1985 or so there were about 500 of these covers in both camo and OD at a surplus store at Ft Bragg. They were a good mix of colors, etc. They were a whopping 10 cents each so I bought $5.00 worth. Last of the big spenders. So I tried to get the best assortment I could. I didn't have time to unroll all of those so I made some quick judgements and grabbed my 50 and ran. I'm don't recall how many OD were in the mix but it was several.

"Kind of amazing that this fairly common, simple piece of gear would create a 3-page discussion thread; up until recently, most guys didn't know that there were 2 different variations of these (the only reason I knew was from looking at pictures" .......................................

I am equally amazed,that this cheap and cheerful cover,has led to all this discussion :w00t:

I did'nt think ,I would get more than a couple of responses, to be honest ,so again ,a big thanks to everyone, who has contributed so far...and long may it continue :salute:

Mercenary25
"Kind of amazing that this fairly common, simple piece of gear would create a 3-page discussion thread; up until recently, most guys didn't know that there were 2 different variations of these (the only reason I knew was from looking at pictures" .......................................

I am equally amazed,that this cheap and cheerful cover,has led to all this discussion :w00t:

I did'nt think ,I would get more than a couple of responses, to be honest ,so again ,a big thanks to everyone, who has contributed so far...and long may it continue :salute:

I wonder if it mean this type of cover's price will go up since it seems like there are more interests for it now. :lol:

Gaz: The pleasure has been ours! :D

Mercenary: You can almost bet on that- especially the early ones with the 2 gaps in the foliage band. :pinch: Discussions like this (along with photos) will only serve to alert more people as to their authenticity.

Craig: I'd say that it's definitely military: a Helmet Cover identical in every way to the 'flage version, save for the shade, found in a surplus store. Ever seen any pics of these in use?

craig_pickrall

Jim,

I have never seen a photo of it in use. It is hard to find decent photos of the camo version as you know. I think it would probably be pretty easy to overlook an OD version in a B&W photo. The thought has crossed my mind too that they may be an Army version of the cover. Then you would need to be looking in another place all together fot photo ID.

Hi Guy's

In my local surplus store,there a Khaki coloured mosi net.

I'm not sure if it's U.S. issue or Brit,I may check it out ,this coming weekend. :think:

If the price is right ,and it looks promising,I will post it for opinions.........Hey you never now :thumbsup:

Gaz: The pleasure has been ours! :D

Mercenary: You can almost bet on that- especially the early ones with the 2 gaps in the foliage band. :pinch: Discussions like this (along with photos) will only serve to alert more people as to their authenticity.

Craig: I'd say that it's definitely military: a Helmet Cover identical in every way to the 'flage version, save for the shade, found in a surplus store. Ever seen any pics of these in use?

Thanks Mate, glad to be a part of this community :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector
Hey, Will- wondered when you were gonna jump in here, you being one of the Forum 'Flagists :lol: Kind of amazing that this fairly common, simple piece of gear would create a 3-page discussion thread; up until recently, most guys didn't know that there were 2 different variations of these (the only reason I knew was from looking at pictures :ermm: )

That last photo I put up was from Jim Moran's reference book, and the War Dog Guy is out of the Raider history which, as you said, is a wealth of photos and history. I sent Jim a photocopy of the 1942 Helmet Cover Specs (which called for foliage slits!!)some years ago, and we had some good correspondence. I would recommend all the W.W.II Marine (and Army) unit histories as well, because they're all heavily pictured (2nd and 3rd Division books are heavy on the 'flage B) ).

Absolutely Jim, that's what I love about this community. I've just got the one mosi next cover, as most the ones I've seen appear to be identical and in similar condition. This discussion has alerted me to the different types which is great, but I think I'll have trouble finding one of the earlier variants!

Jim M is a cool guy, although I've not spoken to him in a few years now. It was good to see some of the mosi covers in recent episodes of The Pacific too!

sgtdorango

I just stumbled on another early pattern camo mosquito cover!!.. :w00t: ..pics to follow when I get it!.....mike

craig_pickrall

It's been 4 days already, so where is it? The suspence is killing me.

sgtdorango

Its coming from Canada, it was sitting on the website The Collectors Guild and nobody seemed to want it so i jumped on it!....hopefully will be here in a day or two!.....mike

craig_pickrall

Tell um it is a top priority. We need it now!

sgtdorango

Just received the cover/net today, its a little different than my other one, netting much lighter and camo cover darker, tie strings and camo band a little different shade too, just slightly, maybe a different manufacturer?....hope you guys like it as much as i do!....mike

post-350-1273510475.jpg

post-350-1273510503.jpg

craig_pickrall

Very good buy, that is the early pattern as explained earlier in this thread.

'Flage Guy

WHEW.....

Those are the best surviving examples of the early-production Net-Covers I've seen yet- nicer than mine :thumbsup: The "mustard tan" foliage bands just flat give me the grins :w00t: :w00t:

A hearty congratulations, Mike! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

My local Army Surplus store has these fro $4.00 a piece. I just bought one and think I'll go buy the other

3 or 4 they have. They are the later style ones with the green band, but for $3.99 + tax how can you go wrong?