Met with KIA MOH Vietnam Mother

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

Hey Gang, I had the Great Pleasure to meet the Mother of Vietnam MOH KIA recipient William T Perkins.

Just wanted to share some Photos of my Visit.

post-633-1271124149.jpg

post-633-1271124157.jpg

post-633-1271124162.jpg

CS

It is fortunate to be able to meet with someone like her and be allowed to see what most people never will.

I love the citation signed by "Tricky Dick".

Kurt

Got da Penny

She told me that he is the ONLY "Combat Photographer" to ever receive the MOH.

I must of said the right thing, because she was showing me a book she has about "Operation Medina" and she GAVE it to me.

Well, I had the presence of mind to have her autograph it for me. :w00t:

Definitely a treasure.

teufelhunde.ret

perkinswilliam.jpg

William Perkins, Jr.

Citation

CORPORAL WILLIAM T. PERKINS JR. UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a combat photographer attached to Company C, First Battalion, First Marines, First Marine Division, in the Republic of Vietnam on 12 October 1967. During Operation MEDINA, a major reconnaissance in force, southwest of Quang Tri, Company C made heavy combat contact with a numerically superior North Vietnamese Army Force estimated at from two to three companies. The focal point of the intense fighting was a helicopter landing zone which was also serving as the Command Post of Company C. In the course of a strong hostile attack,an enemy grenade landed in the immediate area occupied by Corporal Perkins and three other Marines. Realizing the inherent danger, he shouted the warning, "Incoming Grenade" to his fellow Marines, and in a valiant act of heroism, hurled himself upon the grenade absorbing the impact of the explosion with his own body thereby saving the lives of his comrades at the cost of his own. Through his exceptional courage and inspiring valor in the face of certain death, Corporal Perkins reflected great credit upon himself and the Marine Corps and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for hiscountry.

RICHARD M. NIXON

President of the United States

:salute:

William T. Perkins, Jr., who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism in Vietnam in 1967, was born 10 August 1947 in Rochester, New York. In elementary school he moved with his family to California and graduated from James Monroe High School, Sepulveda, California, in 1965.

He enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve 27 April 1966 and was discharged to enlist in the Regular Marine Corps 6 July 1966.

Upon completion of recruit training with the 2d Recruit Training Battalion Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California, he was promoted to private first class 22 September 1966. Transferred to the Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, California, he underwent individual combat training with the 3d Battalion, 2d Infantry Training Regiment.

From October 1966 to January 1967, he served as a photographer with Headquarters Battalion, Marine Corps Supply Center, Barstow, California. He was promoted to lance corporal 1 January 1967. For the next four months, LCpl Perkins was a student at the Motion Picture Photography, U.S. Army Signal Center and School, Fort Monmouth, New Jersey. In May 1967, he was transferred back to Headquarters Battalion, Barstow, California.

In July 1967, LCpl Perkins served as a photographer with Service Company, Headquarters Battalion, 3d Marine Division and was transferred to the Republic of Vietnam. He was promoted to corporal 1 August 1967. While serving as a combat photographer with Company C, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division during Operation Medina, he was killed in action on 12 October 1967.

A complete list of his medals and decorations include: the Medal of Honor, the Purple Heart, the Presidential Unit Citation, the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal with one bronze star, the Vietnamese Military Merit Medal, the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Palm, and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.

kriegsmodell

What a great honor and thanks for sharing. Humbling to say the least. Not sure if the book you mentioned is The Lions of Medina by Doyle Glass? Regardless, I recommend the book completely. It is truly a great work and narrative of men in mortal combat. Corporal Perkins is of course mentioned. I have read many works of military history and this ranks in my top five. There are parts of the narrative that can move you to tears. It is now available in a trade paperback edition. Here is the author's website link. My thoughts only .....

http://www.lionsofmedina.com/welcome.html

• 2 weeks later...
Got da Penny

Here are a few items she entrusted me with. :w00t: and yes they are in my collection now.

post-633-1272126379.jpg

post-633-1272126385.jpg

Got da Penny

Now you know why i wanted the RVN military merit medal ------ Thanks Dennis ----- !!!

It goes with the award document from the RVN office of the president.

post-633-1272126940.jpg

post-633-1272126946.jpg

Stunning!! What an honor it must have been to meet her and be entrusted with the documents. It is a privilege it is to see them. Thank you for sharing them. Mark

Now THAT is not something you see every day. What an honor to have the opportunity to keep the legacy of this Marine alive. Congrats on the find of a lifetime, and glad to see it's in good hands.

Semper,

Ski

Brian Dentino

Just amazing. Fantastic.....not many can say that they were welcomed into a MoH winners family home, let along to have been entrusted with such precious items for safe keeping. Just amazing.....and to Cpl. Perkins.... :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: