Paint removal from tires

outlook6

Has anyone had any luck removing 60-70 year old paint from 60-70 year old tires? I've tried lacquer thinner, brake fluid, "Lift Off", "OOPS", and "Goof Off", to no avail. A power washer is too strong, it takes the rubber off with the paint. My next attempt is to use some jellied paint remover and see how this works. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have four tires with a good amount of Navy grey paint that I need to remove.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Has anyone had any luck removing 60-70 year old paint from 60-70 year old tires? I've tried lacquer thinner, brake fluid, "Lift Off", "OOPS", and "Goof Off", to no avail. A power washer is too strong, it takes the rubber off with the paint. My next attempt is to use some jellied paint remover and see how this works. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have four tires with a good amount of Navy grey paint that I need to remove.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Did you try a citrus based cleaner with those green Scotch Brite cleaning pads to scrub it? If you soak those they will do a good job of taking off paint over paint, but I have to say that the vbonding between rubber and paint has to be quite different than paint on metal. Another thing to try is a Dremel or other rotary tool with a brass brush: I use those on metal and fabric (such as web belts) with good results. I have a variable speed Dremel and always start with the slow speed. I also use Goo-Be-Gone or WD-40 (depending upon whether I'm going after paint or rust) and the rotary brush and as long as I keep everything saturated with the wet cleaner it keeps the underlying material or paint from being damaged (think of it as a form of wet sanding

Now of course there are some things that just seem to resist all means of eradication: I had a vintage M1 helmet that some had put a lot of masking tape on many year ago. I wanted to remove it but save the underlying paint, but nothing even made a dent in that and I ended up giving it someone who will probably just and it down to bare metal and repaint.

Did you try a citrus based cleaner with those green Scotch Brite cleaning pads to scrub it?

Mod,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the citrus based cleaner next. I thought of the brass wire brush wheel in a Dremel tool, but assumed it would leave brush marks in the rubber. I'll have to do a little experimenting. If find anything that works, I will post the results here.

Thanks again.

Jim

Would you suggest the same thing for removing paint from old leather? or something softer?

I have to say that a slow moving brass brush works wonder on all sorts of materials: I have used it on leather when nothing else would work: as always test on a section that normally would not show. I also use the handheld brass brushes that look like toothbrushes, but the variable-speed dremels do most of the work. As for leaving marks: in some cases a few marks will look better than the paint, but generally a slow speed brush and a lot of moisture (like a liberal dose of Goo Be Gone) can do wonders without leaving marks.

mach1derful
I have to say that a slow moving brass brush works wonder on all sorts of materials: I have used it on leather when nothing else would work: as always test on a section that normally would not show. I also use the handheld brass brushes that look like toothbrushes, but the variable-speed dremels do most of the work. As for leaving marks: in some cases a few marks will look better than the paint, but generally a slow speed brush and a lot of moisture (like a liberal dose of Goo Be Gone) can do wonders without leaving marks.

FS,

I'd agree, I just wanted to see if someone had luck with it before. Besides a nice dose of peckard, black rock or vaseline on the leather after removal will probably hide most of the marks anways.

• 1 month later...

There are actually products out there that are for removing paint, etc from rubber and tires. Go to your local tire shop and see if they will sell you a can as they have it there to prep rubber surfaces for patching. Never use brake cleaner as it will destroy the rubber over time.

• 1 month later...
M35A2runner

Thanks in advance,

Jim

use oil eater it works ! also clean with a little bit of acetone. these worked for me on my jeep.

I ended up using Savogran Strypeeze. It's a jellied paint remover I got at Lowe's. I did small areas at a time and washed off with soap and water as I finished each area. It worked relatively easily and with no damage to the tires.

Regards,

Jim