Thin Pilot's Wings - White co pattern

MikeK

G'day to all,

I've recently taken more of an interest in US Wings and I've been reading your forum with much interest. It's been very informative!

I'm currently trying to figure out whether the attached set of wings are originals. I've searched but haven't managed to find a similar pair discussed, so any help will be appreciated.

They are 74.94mm long, 20.42mm high and quite thin at only ~1.5mm. They are also light at 7.78g. The pin opens to ~160deg.

Although not evident on the scans, there are shear marks on the edges. STERLING has been stamped into the center reverse (and if you look at the obverse of the shield you can see a raised "lump" caused by the stamping). The reverse appears smooth (aside from the raised edge of course) - there are no indications of casting that I can see from the reverse. The obverse feathering looks nice but the thing that throws me is the very weak "pebbling" in the obverse background of the shield, rather than the fine lines found on most other Pilot's Wings.

I can provide additional picks as required.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Mike

post-11042-1271089144.jpg

John Cooper

I have seen this in a box from the White Co. I have heard many opinions on these wings:

1) WW2

2) Sweetheart

3) 1920's (due to being similar too the BB&B marked wings)

I have yet to see a photo of them bein worn by a pilot in period photo although I know one collector who said he pick up a uniform from a estate but who know if \when they were put together.

In short the jury is out on these wings ATM until more information is discovered...

Cheers

JOhn

I have two pairs very similar and also very thin. One looks just about like this one and the other is gold-plated.

I have photographic proof that they were WWII sweetheart wings. These came from a war time album that Alice Cobb kept of her husband's service. John Cobb was a mechanic and NOT a pilot.

Here are the wings and a vintage picture of Alice wearing them. I am convinced that they are the very same wings that she put in her album.

While it is possible that these were sometimes worn by pilots, frankly, I have always doubted it myself.

Patrick

post-1519-1271201883.jpg

post-1519-1271201889.jpg

post-1519-1271201895.jpg

Many thanks for the replies gents, much appreciated.

I am happy to learn that they are indeed period wings, even if they are known to have been worn as full sized sweetheart wings!

Patrick, thanks for showing that grouping. I think I can make out a faint STERLING just above the Alice? Is is stamped or raised?

Regards,

Mike