Chaplain (Major) KD Tomter

gpw_42

I'm looking for info on CH(MAJ) KD Tomter, who was assigned to some portion of the 2d Infantry Division. I recently acquired his named WW2 tunic for his pinks & greens (I'll try to post pics later today). The short version is that it has a 2ID patch, MAJ pinback rank, and Chaplain clutch back insignia. It's named to him in 1943. Based on his rank, I'm assuming he was assigned as either a Regimental or Division Chaplain.

I've found very little information about him so far, but here's where I've looked:

- Social Security Death Records show a Kenneth D Tomter B: 11 August 1918 in Ohio, D: 19 March 1997 in Arizona. So, that's about the right age group.

- I also found a house in Mesa, AZ in 2001 with Kenneth D Tomter listed, but that was after his death. Could it have been his wife/kids still using his name?

- AAD/NARA enlistment records. Nothing, so he didn't enlist before being commissioned.

- 2d Infantry Division Association. No records of him ever being a member.

- WW2 38th Infantry Regiment pamphlet. There was no mention of a Chaplain on the Regimental Staff.

Can anyone point me toward some more/different/better info?

- How does one access the Chaplain info at NARA? Via a FOIA letter, as if for any other (enlisted) veteran? There's an intriguing reference to this in the thread located here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=72682&hl=

Thanks!

Steve

From http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;FLid=26461699 is this Obit: "The Arizona Republic, undated. "Kenneth D Tomter, 78, of Mesa, a retired pharmacist, died March 19, 1997. He was born in Highmore, S.D., and was a World War II Army veteran. Survivors include his wife, Lorna K; stepdaughters, Bonita, Tammy and Peggy; stepsons, Ronald, Michael and Steven; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Services: 11 am Monday. Christ the King Catholic Church, 1551 E Dana St., Mesa. Contributions: Alzheimer's Assn., 1028 E McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85006. Melcher's Chapel of the Roses."

-Anonymous

Added: Oct. 16, 2009"

Well, the plot thickens - that's the same DoD as I found in the Social Security Database, but they say he was born in OH, not SD. Sorry I haven't yet been able to post pics of this uniform, life has been catching up with me. Thanks to all who PM'd with info about this search, especially MWalsh!

Steve

From http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;FLid=26461699 is this Obit: "The Arizona Republic, undated. "Kenneth D Tomter, 78, of Mesa, a retired pharmacist, died March 19, 1997. He was born in Highmore, S.D., and was a World War II Army veteran. Survivors include his wife, Lorna K; stepdaughters, Bonita, Tammy and Peggy; stepsons, Ronald, Michael and Steven; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Services: 11 am Monday. Christ the King Catholic Church, 1551 E Dana St., Mesa. Contributions: Alzheimer's Assn., 1028 E McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85006. Melcher's Chapel of the Roses."

-Anonymous

Added: Oct. 16, 2009"

Well, the plot thickens - that's the same DoD as I found in the Social Security Database, but they say he was born in OH, not SD. Sorry I haven't yet been able to post pics of this uniform, life has been catching up with me. Thanks to all who PM'd with info about this search, especially MWalsh!

Steve

His name was not on any of my rosters. But I do not have a complete roster before the war, or for those who got certified to be a chaplain before the war.

That said, since he was with the 2nd ID, and the division was at Fort Sam, which has a large hospital, perhaps he was a chaplain and then became a drug pusher.