32nd Division M1 helmet

just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
Those Wisconsinites are overfed and full of, well, they are just full! The truth is I am the real grandson of dear old Fritz, and I can tell you stories of his service that would turn your Alabama hair WHITE! I remember one especially, "It was a hot day at Tarawa................................. :lol:

:lol: Thanks Ken!

just-a-good-ole-boy

Do you know if he was in the National guard after WWII? I have seen several other 32nd helmets over the years with similar markings to this one that were used Post WWII/occupation, when the 32nd Infantry Division was de-activated and again became the Wisconsin National Guard after it's return to the US.

No I dont know about that, I guess it would be a question for the daughter of which I am still debating on contacting. I would think that if these markings were done post war, then there would be no need for the officers bar on the rear.

Steve

Do you know if he was in the National guard after WWII? I have seen several other 32nd helmets over the years with similar markings to this one that were used Post WWII/occupation, when the 32nd Infantry Division was de-activated and again became the Wisconsin National Guard after it's return to the US.

No I dont know about that, I guess it would be a question for the daughter of which I am still debating on contacting. I would think that if these markings were done post war, then there would be no need for the officers bar on the rear.

Steve

Nice helmet! The use of officer and NCO bar's continued after World War 2 as well. Here is a picture of soldiers in Korea with NCO bars on the back of their helmet.

post-8296-1270992951.jpg

I hope Sgt. Dorango doesn't mind me posting pictures of his great collection, but here is an example of an officer bar from a later period. This is on a 503rd helmet I believe, from their time with the 11th Airborne at Ft. Campbell from 1951-56

post-8296-1270993213.jpg

Steve,

I thought that was you that laid down that big sum!! I had just a coupke of bills up there and thought this was a steal!! Boy, I was surprised!!

Congrats on a rare and beautiful helmet!

Mike

What a beautiful helmet! You might check with the WI National Guard museum at Volk Field to see if they can provide any further information on the vet or if they have similiar examples of the helmet for comparison. Very nice!

Side note to BUGME; it's not the cheese, it's the butterburgers and custard at Culver's!

• 11 years later...

Gorgeous! Here's hoping I can score one of these myself someday. I know I'm a bit late to the party, but congrats!