Headwound Gasmask - Rare

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1270757326.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers. This could possibly be the rarest pattern of gasmask used in WWII, the one shown in this archive photo is dated 1944

I have one of these in my collection that is dated early 1945, are there any more out there amongst forum members.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1270757787.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers.

Here is my headwound mask laid out flat, the filter is unused as I beleive is the mask, the dark shades on the mask are reaction to the fibre buckles used for the straps where it was folded for storage.

The see-through panel on the archieve photo appears to be full face, where as on mine it has been reduced to just the eye area.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1270758147.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

The carrying pouch constructed of the same material as the mask.

Cheers Lewis

Hi Ken. That's a really bizarre piece of kit...like something from a '30s Flash Gordon movie! Thankfully, they never had to be used "in anger", so to speak.

Ian :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Hi Ken. That's a really bizarre piece of kit...like something from a '30s Flash Gordon movie! Thankfully, they never had to be used "in anger", so to speak.

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, I wonder how many of these were actually manufactured, never seen any in use in a hospital scene, especially a posed one for news reports.

Waiting to see if other members have any

Cheers Lewis

Ken, Great piece you have there!! It is amzing the intricate equipment that was developed during WWII, for basically a disposable function. I can't believe they would have tried to decontaminate it and use it again.

Bob

General Apathy
Ken, Great piece you have there!! It is amzing the intricate equipment that was developed during WWII, for basically a disposable function. I can't believe they would have tried to decontaminate it and use it again.

Bob

Hi Bob, can we begin to wonder the full cost of WWII when you consider all the things that were considered for use and manufactured. Have you ever read the story of the attempt to manufacture ships made of ice, see the short story at the link below the experiments were carried out in the Rockies Northern America out of site of the Germans.

http://www.combinedops.com/Pykrete.htm

Cheers Lewis

craig_pickrall

I have wanted to comment on this mask since you first posted it. I have had the book laying on my desk all this time but just an hour ago was the first chance I had to take photos. This is by far the rarest gas mask of WW2 as there were just 13,076 manufactured. The next rarest was the horse gas mask and that had three times as many made.

Great item Ken and thanks for showing.

post-5-1271302078.jpg

post-5-1271302084.jpg

post-5-1271302092.jpg

post-5-1271302098.jpg

General Apathy
I have wanted to comment on this mask since you first posted it. I have had the book laying on my desk all this time but just an hour ago was the first chance I had to take photos. This is by far the rarest gas mask of WW2 as there were just 13,076 manufactured. The next rarest was the horse gas mask and that had three times as many made.

Great item Ken and thanks for showing.

Hi Craig, great stuff, there really can't be much information printed about this style of gasmask and it is good to see what you have added, and to see another photo of it that I have not seen before. :thumbsup:

I note that they didn't make mention of dog masks in the list so I wonder how many of those were made, pleased to say I do have one somewhere in the shoe box under the bed.

Cheers Lewis

I would love to look in the boxes under your bed. Hell I'd like to dig through your house. Maybe we could make it a annual event during D-Day events. "COME DIG THROUGH LEWIS"S HOUSE". Robert

craig_pickrall

Ken, there are a couple of paragraphs in the book concerning the dog mask but no mention of quantity. I wonder if they had more dogs in combat zones than they did horses and mules?

There is also a paragraph (no photo) of pigeon gas masks. It is described as a pigeon sleeve designed in 1934 and standarized in 1941. It is a gas proof cloth sleeve slipped over the pigeon cage. The unit had a bellows and canister. Again no quantity was mentioned.

Robert, since you are a retired police officer I'm sure ken would be scared to have you looking around. He would have a fear of your obligation to report what you see. Just think of the evil that lurks in that shoe box under the bed.

General Apathy
Ken, there are a couple of paragraphs in the book concerning the dog mask but no mention of quantity. I wonder if they had more dogs in combat zones than they did horses and mules?

There is also a paragraph (no photo) of pigeon gas masks. It is described as a pigeon sleeve designed in 1934 and standarized in 1941. It is a gas proof cloth sleeve slipped over the pigeon cage. The unit had a bellows and canister. Again no quantity was mentioned.

Robert, since you are a retired police officer I'm sure ken would be scared to have you looking around. He would have a fear of your obligation to report what you see. Just think of the evil that lurks in that shoe box under the bed.

Hi Craig, I read that it was found that putting a gasmask on a dog rendered the dog useless, losing it's sense of smell left it without the ability to react to anything, it couldn't trace scents and smells.

I am pretty sure I have seen a photograph of a pigeon mask with a hand operated bellows for providing air.

It doesn't concern me having police or official visitors, I don't have anything that I need to worry about, well not now anyway. :lol:

Thanks Robert & Craig.

Lewis

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.