ARMY NURSES CROSS THE RHINE

FAAA

ARMY NURSES CROSS THE RHINE

As part of the FAAA organised “Campaign 45” event that was undertaken to commemorate the 65th Anniversary of the last campaigns of WWII, FAAA’s “Army Nurses” deployed to the Chiltern Open Air Museum in March representing the 24th Evacuation Hospital US 9th Army during Operation Varsity.

The Ladies and men of “Army Nurses” which included an MP Detachment and an Admin Mess and Supply Field kitchen section provided a very realistic field hospital scenario combining a tented receiving area and hard accommodation ward. Throughout the weekend casualties were provided by various allied and Axis units and worked closely with their British counterparts from the 195th Air Landing Field Ambulance, 6th Airborne Division.

Again this predominantly female group worked as a standalone unit representing the ANC on the front line. All group members undertook basic medical training and having been given instruction in Map Reading and the use of the compass undertook a successful night Navigation exercise.

A very rewarding weekend proving again that there is a real role for uniformed women in the hobby.

Dear Ma and Pa

APRIL 6th 1945

It’s been a while now since I last wrote, but it has been so busy here I have had little time to myself. Until now we have been on the move, breaking camp and re-establishing our hospital nearer to the front line. A continuous rumble of artillery announced the start of this new offensive and towards the end of last month the first casualties began to arrive. It was a busy time and we handled nearly two thousand patients in 31 days of operation.

We moved again at the beginning of March and moved to Straelen in order to be ready for the push across the River Rhine. The whole country was low and wet but we set up on the site of a German working camp. Access was easy for it had gravel roads and concrete paths; unfortunately, most of all the buildings had been knocked down. The buildings were salvaged and the remains pieced together to be used for messes, recreation, showers and supply rooms.

In the north the British were ready to cross the big River Rhine at a place called Wesel. In daylight the sky was full of Aeroplanes and Gliders, they flew right over us and across the river, and the noise was terrific, the big guns fired for hours. We found out later this was the big airborne operation we were to support once we ourselves had crossed the Rhine. The Ninth US Army that we were now part of crossed the river on March 24 and five days later we was able to cross the Rhine to join them. We set up in a field near a place called Peddenberg, about four miles east of Wesel. On the day we crossed our reconnaissance group was real close to the front line. Bombs dropped near a convoy of trucks from our unit which were being used to ferry another outfit, it knocked out 2 badly-needed trucks and slightly wounded 2 of our drivers.

Our Hospital was under tentage once more as a part from one old wooden building we used as a ward there were no suitable buildings available. The location was nevertheless ideal except that the grounds were very wet, as it seemed to be everywhere. Once the forward troops moved rapidly forward the ambulance haul was up to 120 miles from the front and that to the rear was also long so there was always a shortage of transportation for our unit. The Hospital could keep up with the work but we were very worried about the availability of beds because of this. The other major challenge for us at Peddenberg was the mud, on arrival the Engineers were requested to construct roads but before they could arrive, we improvised, using rubble from Wesel and sand for roads to consolidate the receiving section, and wide boards to strengthen the walkways. Squad Tents and cots for personnel were welcome but as soon as they were set up it started to rain heavily. For the first time we started to receive not only our own boys but also British troops, mostly Paratroopers and Commandos.

It was also the first time many of us had seen German wounded prisoners, many were just boys and although the enemy we cared for these as we would our own, that maybe hard to explain to people when I get back home but I am glad that is what we did.

During the last month or so I took some pictures using that camera I brought in Paris. I hope by now you have recieved copies of the pictures I sent.

Well Ma and Pa, we will be on the move again of that I am sure, as soon as we stop again and I have time to write I will, until then do not worry about me, the end is in site and I will be home again soon.

1st Lt Carolyn Winchester

24th EVAC HOSPITAL

GERMANY

The pictures below were amoungst the pictures that arrived at Lt Winchesters home several weeks after the end of the War in Europe.

2013617710102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2976079290102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2761570710102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2450527270102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2224420440102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2477872710102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2317819020102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2300333730102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

Great shots! :thumbsup:

I saw this photo and immediately thought of a couple of captions for it:

2450527270102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

"Now I know zat ve vill lose ze var, you Amerikans haff too many goot looking frauleins in your army!"

"I vass petting my Kaptain's dachshund, und ze little sing bit my hand!"

"Your leaflets zaid zat if I gave up, I'd get Amerikans zigarrettes!"