Who likes Patton?

Tank Jockey 38

RANDALL 1953

My father and I went to see it when it first came out. My Dad was a Combat Engineer in WW2. When I asked him if Scott was like the real Patton he said he did a pretty good job but the real Patton was much more a bastard.

Yup, one of my favorites! You gotta love the scene where Patton(Scott) is using his pistol against the strafing Messerschmidt!

Yup, one of my favorites! You gotta love the scene where Patton(Scott) is using his pistol against the strafing Messerschmidt!

That was a fantasy scene, but looked neat on the screen. (It was a Heinkel He-111 he was shooting at, not a Messerschmidt.) Even with the historical inaccuracies it was great movie. George C. Scotts gravel voice was just the opposite of Pattons high pitch, almost feminine voice. Legend has it that Nixon saw it twice and then decided to invade Cambodia! Talk about inspiration! :thumbsup:

That was a fantasy scene, but looked neat on the screen. (It was a Heinkel He-111 he was shooting at, not a Messerschmidt.) Even with the historical inaccuracies it was great movie. George C. Scotts gravel voice was just the opposite of Pattons high pitch, almost feminine voice. Legend has it that Nixon saw it twice and then decided to invade Cambodia! Talk about inspiration! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I knew it was a fantasy scene but, it was still cool. As for the plane, what can I say? I collect and study U.S. militaria and not the losers stuff. ;) Seriously, it's been probably more than 10 years since I last saw the movie and I was speaking from my aging and often incorrect memory. In my mind, I remembered Messerschmidt. :blushing:

It was definitely the post war model used by the Spanish.

If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that both Heinkels used in the movie were the only two left flying at the time. One had been Tito's personal aircraft.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

My grandpop was pissed until the day he died. He said that he got fined for not having a tie on when Patton was around! :D

HolyHappiness
His dog stole the movie for me !!!!!!

owen

"You're not a William, you're a Willie!"

Fantastic film. Even with it's inaccuracies, it is still incredibly fun to watch.

If any of you have a Blu-Ray Player, get patton on Blu-Ray! It is crystal clear with really sharp edges (for movie freaks like me :)). It is easily one of the best transfers to Blu-Ray along with The Longest Day!

BILL THE PATCH

What about the second patton movie, i thought that was also very good. you find out what he went through after the accident.

BigJohn#3RD

Patton was a great movie especially for its time 1970 in the middle of the piss-ant hippies :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: (#10) crating a stir. Brass Target was another good film as well.

Regards

John

Robswashashore

A very dear friend of mine served under Patton in the Seventh Armored Division. Curtis said "I saw that ^%$$#**& in that $$##&&^ chrome plated helmet bust a sergeant down to private for not wearing a tie!"

The remark he makes in the movie about having taken Messina and what did they want him to do, give it back? was actually made when the Third Army went against Trier, in Germany. According to the reference I read, he was reported to have received a message from higher HQ, DO NOT TAKE TRIER. STOP. ESTIMATE IT WILL TAKE FIVE DIVISIONS TO TAKE TRIER. STOP. Patton, who had already liberated Trier with two divisions sent back the following cable: "HAVE TAKEN TRIER WITH TWO DIVISIONS. STOP. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? GIVE IT BACK? STOP. PATTON."

If Our command had supported our commanders instead of Montgomery's ill conceived Market Garden plan, we would have been into Germany much sooner, and not have lost as many troops from the brits OR us fighting a battle that amounted to nothing really.

Montgomery was reported to have angered Ike so badly with his primadonna attitude and disparaging remarks about US soldiers, he was on the verge of relieving Monty. I think the remarks from this movie about Montgomery being more worried about not losing a battle than winning one and wanting to always make a bigger splash then anyone else were fairly accurate.

One must wonder... If Patton HAD gotten the 400,000 gallons of fuel, what would the outcome have been?

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this movie when I was much younger and Scott, that is the only part I remember :lol: ! ....I'm gonna go watch it again maybe now that I'm older I will cherish it more. -Grant

Strictly GI
One must wonder... If Patton HAD gotten the 400,000 gallons of fuel, what would the outcome have been?

:think: American Armies invading southern Germany in force in Oct 1944, thats what. :pinch:

Patton was an excellent movie and not only by comparison to the crap that surrounded it. Battle of the Bulge and Anzio? Blech.

Government Issue

I DO! :lol: Great General, great man, great movie! :thumbsup: George C. Scott did a great job.