Corsair Instrument Panel Opinions

JGC

I have an opportunity to pick up this Corsair instrument panel, and I was hoping to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. First is this a F4U-1 panel, and does it appear to be period or a later mock-up? I did not see a Buero Number, and the back of the panel appeared to be very clean. The gauges all appear to be correct, and period. He also has the Mk8 gunsight that would go with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jon

MVC-002S-1.jpg

MVC-003S-1.jpg

MVC-004S-1.jpg

MVC-005S-1.jpg

I sold the pilot's handbook for this a few months ago, but I will have some small scans:

corsairdash2.jpg

corsairdash.jpg

Cobrahistorian

The instruments are all period. Can't tell on the panel, but my instinct says no. Call it my spider-sense. There's nothing wrong with it, the way it is, just no way to prove it came out of a bird without the BuNo.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I've got a chance to pick this up for about 1700, do you feel the gauges are worth that if the panel is not period? Thanks Jon

hbtcoveralls

Yes Yes Yes. I think the gagues are clearly worth that. Also, I feel quite good about the originality of the panel. Cobra's right that there isn't a Bu no. but at the same time, the details are correct and the quality is hard to match in a repro panel. What might be the story is that this panel was not installed in an aircraft, but was either found on the loose and had the correct gagues added, or it was built up at the factory, but not installed. Either way it's a fantastic display piece for a popular and famous aircraft. The Mk 8 gunsite sells for a couple of hundred on its own, so I think you'd do very well to grab this for $1700.00

Tom Bowers

Yes Yes Yes. I think the gagues are clearly worth that. Also, I feel quite good about the originality of the panel. Cobra's right that there isn't a Bu no. but at the same time, the details are correct and the quality is hard to match in a repro panel. What might be the story is that this panel was not installed in an aircraft, but was either found on the loose and had the correct gagues added, or it was built up at the factory, but not installed. Either way it's a fantastic display piece for a popular and famous aircraft. The Mk 8 gunsite sells for a couple of hundred on its own, so I think you'd do very well to grab this for $1700.00

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, thanks for the info. The $1700 is for what you see in the photos, the gun sight was going to be another 750. I haven't seen the sight, but he did say that it was in new condition never out of the box.Thanks Jon

As a 20 year plus aircraft mechanic I can tell you those instuments are not original to the panel,,

the panel MAY,,be new old stock,,I dont know,,but theres no way this came all together,,

I dont know about price,,just that the panel has never seen service IMHO for what its worth

Cobrahistorian

Jon,

I think you're good to go with that price, even if it is a put-together panel. They're all original instruments, so heck it is a fantastic representation. The Mk8 gunsight would just be icing on the cake. For a display, you can't go wrong. I like it!

Jon

Well I pulled the trigger on the Corsair instrument panel and Mark8 gun sight. He also has a couple other items that I might have to add to the cockpit, the Rocket Station Distributor Box and the Throttle control. I've included a few photos for comments. Thanks Jon

MVC-019S-1.jpg

MVC-020S-1.jpg

MVC-022S-1.jpg

MVC-024S-1.jpg