102nd Regt. Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry

Harrythepicker

Harrythepicker

I thought you might like to see my latest find while out picking. The medal measures just under 1 1/2 inches in diameter. It was made in 1911 to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the 102nd Regt. P.V.V.I. service during the Civil War. Is this a rare item? I've not seen one of these before. Does anyone know the name of the company that minted this? Thanks for any help.....................Harry C

post-10695-1270472965.jpg

In the absence of any other info, J.K. Davison, of Philadelphia, made many regimental medals and tokens as well as badges for the Pennsylvania Department of the Grand Army of the Republic. Many of their products are unmarked, unfortunately.

Harry,

Look at the edge of the rim and see if there was once a ring support soldered on it. There may also be a maker name on the rim.

Harrythepicker
Harry,

Look at the edge of the rim and see if there was once a ring support soldered on it. There may also be a maker name on the rim.

No evidence of any ring support and no name on the rim. It was made to be a table medal or maybe a paperweight?? Has anyone else seen a similar medal? ...........Harry C

If it has no suspension ring I would suspect it is a table medal. Very nice and the first one of these I have seen.

If it has no suspension ring I would suspect it is a table medal. Very nice and the first one of these I have seen.

Please note the medal/coin has a reeded edge. Medals ment to be worn will not have that edge. Probably a Medal/Token/souviner made and either sold or given out at their 50th.Reunion.

Not a common medal, but a reasonable common practice during that time.

Ron Norman