Gemsco Flight Surgeon Wings

mshaw

I picked these up recently and I am not sure about them. They are hallmarked Gemsco N.Y. with a wreath but it is an Amico pattern. I know that Gemsco bought out Amico but did they put their name on Amico pattern wings? Opinions appreciated!

post-4502-1270319360.jpg

post-4502-1270319384.jpg

Actually that's a Gemsco pattern. very nice wing.. I have the same pattern with a 45 degree pin

Thanks Paul!

Mark, is your wing gold, or is it the light?

I think these are post WWII...here's another version in silver with the same marks on the reverse and also a clutch back.

post-3515-1270325243.jpg

Post 1943 for sure and they made them this way up till 1947 so no way to tell for sure.

The wings are gold. Am I correct that the gold wings were superceded by silver wings in 1944?

Mark, is your wing gold, or is it the light?

I think these are post WWII...here's another version in silver with the same marks on the reverse and also a clutch back.

They are definitely gold, Paul. They were also accompanied by a pair of Amico pinback Lt. Col. insignia and a pair of medical officer devices with the little screw caps. Unfortunately, no ID.

This is an interesting design. The only other time I recall seeing this design is on an Aircrew wing bearing LeVelle's raised marks on the reverse. The star on my FS doesn't seem correct for a wartime wing, but a gold finish seems to suggest otherwise.

This is an interesting design. The only other time I recall seeing this design is on an Aircrew wing bearing LeVelle's raised marks on the reverse. The star on my FS doesn't seem correct for a wartime wing, but a gold finish seems to suggest otherwise.

[/quote

Can you determine if the star on your wing was added after manufacture or during manufacture?

Can you determine if the star on your wing was added after manufacture or during manufacture?

The star is soldered on.

and here is the LeVelle aircrew of the same pattern I was thinking about...

post-3515-1270349900.jpg