Sign in to follow this  
Sabrejet

Psy-ops M16 mag bag, Vietnam, 1970

The US Army Psy-ops people came up with the idea of using these disposable M-16 mag-bags as a means of delivering propaganda messages. The self-sealing, clear vinyl bags were used to protect M-16 mags in from the effects of the hot, damp climate in Vietnam. When used by the troops they were discarded on the trail. The VC had a reputation for re-cycling US cast-offs so it was deemed likely that they would probably pick up these empty mag-bags too. Therefore, the printing of a propaganda message in the Vietnamese language was considered a easy and cost-efective way of getting through to the enemy. The translation reads : RETURNING CHIEU HOI WILL HELP YOU AGAIN TO SEE YOUR PARENTS AND FAMILY IN A PEACEFUL AND DEMOCRATIC SOUTH VIETNAM.

How effective they were at encouraging Victor Charles to lay down his arms and come home is anyone's guess!

post-8022-1270315291.jpg post-8022-1270315303.jpg

Sabrejet

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I picked up a few of these from a guy who got them by the box full at a local are surplus store not long ago.From time to time I would throw one in a box when someone bought something from me.Gave a few away at displays I did to the kids who would look and ask questions.

Dont know how Sir Charles or Mr NVA :thumbsup: liked them but they do keep your smokes pretty dry(Ive been told!!!)

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I picked up a few of these from a guy who got them by the box full at a local are surplus store not long ago.From time to time I would throw one in a box when someone bought something from me.Gave a few away at displays I did to the kids who would look and ask questions.

Dont know how Sir Charles or Mr NVA :thumbsup: liked them but they do keep your smokes pretty dry(Ive been told!!!)

RD

Hi Doyler. Is that so? I think they make a interesting addition to any collection / display of VN War memoribilia. I keep mine with mags in their pouches just as intended....though I haven't sealed them lest the mags sweat and corrode!

Ian :thumbsup:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Hi Doyler. Is that so? I think they make a interesting addition to any collection / display of VN War memoribilia. I keep mine with mags in their pouches just as intended....though I haven't sealed them lest the mags sweat and corrode!

Ian :thumbsup:

Sabre,

I agree an intresting item and display very well with the mags.also look good with the various leaflets from the war :thumbsup:

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.