Strange USAF Tigerstripe

shrapneldude

shrapneldude

Was down at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base this past week and stopped at the resale shop on base. Found this strange looking uniform. Strange to me anyhow. The new USAF "digital tigerstripes" are a very light blue / gray type color, very close in color to the ACU with the digitalized tiger pattern. This however is a very BLUE tiger pattern with no "digital" boxy pattern at all. I almost thought it was a civillian knock-off but it's got USAF SNCO stripes and a Branch of Service tape, plus, well it was on a rack with about 80 other authentic USAF uniforms on the base. I wish I'd gotten a standard top to compare the color, but this one stuck out like a sore thumb from across the room.

Is it an experimental pattern? Security Forces? Special duty? Anyhow, it's not USMC, but was odd enough to make it worth buying just to ask someone who knew what it was (the workers at the shop asked me what it was for, and none of us had a good answer.)

post-1424-1270253042.jpg

post-1424-1270253053.jpg

shrapneldude

post-1424-1270253101.jpg

post-1424-1270253110.jpg

It's got the USAF logo imprinted in the design as well. I don't really know where / how blue tigerstripe camo would help in a combat zone, but it looks like someone tried it.

ClaptonIsGod

My guess is either prototype or perhaps a commercial copy tiger top used by a AF member as private purchase?

That is the original prototype uniform that the Air Force was looking at before settling on the foilage green varient they now wear. I went into a BX at McConnel AFB and they had a set of them on display. The AF caught a lot of flak over taking the tiger stripe and just making it blue. It didn't last long before the foilage set came out. The problem is that the AF never made any of their new uniforms out of the lightweight material, They still make their uniforms out of temperate material, so Airmen roast in their uniforms in the desert. Good find though.

Saskatoon Light Infantry
Was down at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base this past week and stopped at the resale shop on base. Found this strange looking uniform. Strange to me anyhow. The new USAF "digital tigerstripes" are a very light blue / gray type color, very close in color to the ACU with the digitalized tiger pattern. This however is a very BLUE tiger pattern with no "digital" boxy pattern at all. I almost thought it was a civillian knock-off but it's got USAF SNCO stripes and a Branch of Service tape, plus, well it was on a rack with about 80 other authentic USAF uniforms on the base. I wish I'd gotten a standard top to compare the color, but this one stuck out like a sore thumb from across the room.

Is it an experimental pattern? Security Forces? Special duty? Anyhow, it's not USMC, but was odd enough to make it worth buying just to ask someone who knew what it was (the workers at the shop asked me what it was for, and none of us had a good answer.)

post-1424-1270253042.jpg

post-1424-1270253053.jpg

Blue tiger stripe camouflage is not knew to the Air Force. If you go back to 1963 (?), the Air Force were issuing blue tiger stripe bush hats.

Very nice score, Dan. :thumbsup: These USAF tigers have always been sought after by the collector. A few years back, you could find them on Ebay. I haven't seen a set for awhile. They always commanded a high price. If I am not mistaken, I think Wright-Patterson was one of the bases that was part of the trials for this uniform.

Great - YOU'RE the one!!! I stopped there today and one of ladies had told me she put a blue tiger stripe out on the rack - was I interested in it?? Of course I beat-feet back there but you had already been there! I hope who ever had it turns in another one - I got the hat to it about 4 weeks ago! Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it...I've got a nice General's ABU you might like!

Mark sends

shrapneldude
Great - YOU'RE the one!!! I stopped there today and one of ladies had told me she put a blue tiger stripe out on the rack - was I interested in it?? Of course I beat-feet back there but you had already been there! I hope who ever had it turns in another one - I got the hat to it about 4 weeks ago! Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it...I've got a nice General's ABU you might like!

Mark sends

Man, we must've just missed eachother this morning. I got this shirt yesterday as soon as the place opened, ran back through today to make sure there weren't any others. Luck of the draw I suppose! But for the next 18 months, you don't have to worry about me hunting in your preserve! haha

DutchInfid3l

Here's a picture that usually accompanied the articles on this uniform. From AF Times, etc.

prototype.jpg

This is the one set that I have in my collection (no hat unfortunately, hoping to acquire one eventually) Tech Sergeant chevrons with Bartley name tape. Uniform top size 44L Pants size 38 L

forum1005.jpg

forum1006.jpg

c717_1.jpg

forum1008.jpg

DutchInfid3l

From Air Force News Service:

Three-hundred uniforms will undergo wear testing from January to July at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska; Hurlburt Field, Fla.; Langley AFB, Va.; Luke AFB, Ariz.; McChord AFB, Wash.; Ramstein Air Base, Germany; Robins AFB, Ga.; Vandenberg AFB, Calif.; and Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio

A prototype of the new Air Force utility uniform was unveiled July 9 in various duty sections at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., and Bolling AFB, D.C.

Here are more pictures of the wear testing from AF.mil

USAFtiger1.jpg

USAFtiger2.jpg

USAFtiger3.jpg

USAFtiger5.jpg

Though I must say I think the greyish boots look pretty good. I wonder why they didn't just do that color for the ABUs instead of the pea green. Still would've matched.

Though the about the Lt. General. That belt just does not work. :(

Here's a shot of the gortex jackets, picture subtitle says it's at Elmendorf. I know someone posted a thread on blue tiger stripe gortex not too long ago.

USAFtiger4.jpg

I didn't read every comment but, as others have said, this was one of the earlier experiments in the Air Force edition of "identity camo" uniforms they were playing with before they settled on the spinach salad tiger stripe abomination. They had a couple versions that were trial-tested before they settled on what they did.

Considering the normal AF environment, They should have gone with tarmac color but the whole thing was more identity that actual utility of camouflage concept.

From Air Force News Service:

Though the about the Lt. General. That belt just does not work. :(

Well, General Officers have always been allowed the privilege of designing their own uniform variations. The belt is just a bit too Patton-esque for my tastes. But then it's hardly likely that he would ever be in a position to get it dirty. :lol:

shrapneldude
Well, General Officers have always been allowed the privilege of designing their own uniform variations. The belt is just a bit too Patton-esque for my tastes. But then it's hardly likely that he would ever be in a position to get it dirty. :lol:

Had to laugh at that. Very funny and very true.

For whatever it's worth, I don't like the belt, and I don't particularly care for any of the new USAF uniforms...especially the blue boots. Whether it looks sexy or not, it really ought to have a tactical purpose beyond looks if they're going to spend the money to research, develop, and issue any uniform.

Anyhow, I do thank everyone for their ID and compliments on this uniform.

bravo_2_zero

I have a set of this unissued with the hand wrote inked issue tag still attached.

I've posted this on other forums and had quiet frankly stupid comment like, " you printed the USAF logo's with potato stamps yourself"

Even after showing them pictures of USAF personel from the USAF website wearing it, they still said it was a fake hunting camo !!!

im0024696wv.jpg

im0024745za.jpg

im0024704ec.jpg

im0024769km.jpg

im0024784ad.jpg

im0024809lq.jpg

im0024791be.jpg

Jacket

3 pocket, non-bellow pockets, 2 chest , 1 internal

NO reinforcements on elbows

USMC type marpat cloth twill thats made different from pants.

M81 cut to the jacket.

Trousers

8 Pockets , 2 hip ,2 rear , 2 cargo , 2 inside cargo like Vietnam pants

No reinforcements on seat and knees

USMC style elasticated waist

USMC style cargo pockets

USMC type heavy twill cloth heavyer then jacket.

USMC style no trouser ties for boots

This set is #91 and was intended for a USAF officer ( due to bars found in pocket)

Size of the suit looks made for the person size rather than 31"-35" with adjusters.

Colours = Light blue , Navy Blue , sandy , OD green

bravo_2_zero
B2o

Did you find your set in the Huddersfield car boot sale ???

owen

Nah Marsh Lane near Eckington :lol:

Hey if i knew now stuff i'd passed on boot sales i'd be a rich fella. The ERDL found on some small time surplus dealers that sold ex USAF base clothing !! Like i went for the woodland stuff cos it was new issue :crying: , mind i was only 13 :pinch:

If you look closely at the pictures published in the Air Forces Times, with the exception of the General (who has a "Brown" name tape), all the names on the blouses and the Henley T-shirts are "Jones", including the female security forces officer in the pic you usually see........regarding the people who said you stamped the USAF logo yourself....that's even described in the Air Force Times articles....

Mark sends

DutchInfid3l
If you look closely at the pictures published in the Air Forces Times, with the exception of the General (who has a "Brown" name tape), all the names on the blouses and the Henley T-shirts are "Jones", including the female security forces officer in the pic you usually see........regarding the people who said you stamped the USAF logo yourself....that's even described in the Air Force Times articles....

Mark sends

Yeah, I noticed that. They don't have any rank on either, stripes or anything on the collars.

The only good thing about the new uniform is for us ground crew types the uniform from a distance fades to a grey which blends fairly well with the flightline.

Scott

shrapneldude
I have a set of this unissued with the hand wrote inked issue tag still attached.

I've posted this on other forums and had quiet frankly stupid comment like, " you printed the USAF logo's with potato stamps yourself"

Even after showing them pictures of USAF personel from the USAF website wearing it, they still said it was a fake hunting camo !!!

Man, 52R is a HUGE size!

As for the stupid comments, that's a horrible side effect of online forums really. If something comes up that someone doesn't recognize, they'll sometimes just autoritatively state some crap they've made up off the top of their head, and if it isn't corrected, it becomes accepted as fact rather than one guy's opinion. Seen it plenty of times before, though not nearly as often on this particular forum.

Anyhow, looks like they made a lot of changes and adjustments to get to the uniforms they're wearing now in the USAF. Probably good they didn't keep the button-neck undershirts as they look pretty uncomfortable, but the material this shirt is made of is pretty light. Seems like it would be pretty comfortable to wear, but probably wouldn't hold up well with heavy use.