WW2 Jump Wings Maker Rarity Ratings?

RANDALL 1953

Just curious if anyone has compiled a rarity rating list of the makers of WW2 jump wings. Some makers that come to mind are Gemsco, Bell Trading, Rollins, Meyer, Etc. Info appreciated.

Excellent question, something i would like to find out too as i have these wings bought from a fellow member who said they are rare which i believe as i never seen this maker before.

Eric

post-10008-1270303311.jpg

post-10008-1270303368.jpg

Here is a rough list that I have been keeping of WWII makers and some information from a thread over at the US Military Forum here:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=84409 see post #10

As for rarity, I believe Tiffany, BB&B AMICO and Leonard top the list of US makers. Good Australian made wings are more than likely next with British wings following in value. I have seen some "one-off" CBI-made wings here and there as well, and the value of those may fall all over the map.

A.E. Co.

Amcraft

Amico

BB&B

Balfour

Bell Trading Post

Durocharm

Gemsco

GP

"H" in a circle

Hillborne Hamburger

Leonard Jewelers

N.S. Meyer

Norsid

Orber

Robbins

Simon Brothers

Tiffany

Weyhring

British

Thomas Fattorini

Firmin

Gaunt

Ludlow

SS LTD

Australian

Angus & Coote

K G Luke

Wallace Bishop

Occupation Made pieces-

Poellath

Assmann

Sendai

Aoki Metals

J Balme is a post war badge maker IIRC

1) As for value, it seems to me at the height of the Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers/60 year anniversary of D-Day, I watched a couple of BB& B wing auctions that reached around 1000$--including one or two auctions of what I felt were fake BB&B wings.

2) The Australian, some of the occupation and rarer British-made jump wings were falling in the 250-500$ range.

3) The JR Gaunt and unmarked theater-made wings were usually less than that, maybe in the 150-300$ range.

4) The rarer US-made hallmarked wings were falling in the 100-200$ range (maybe more or less depending on the maker).

5) More common US-made wings (like the NS Meyer wings) were in the 75-125$ range.

6) Finally, the non-hallmarked sterling silver, pinback jump wings seemed to be selling between 50-100$

7) Non-sterling silver pin back or clutch back wings and post war wing seemed to be falling in the 25-60$ range.

Addition of combat jump stars, invasion arrowheads and other "do-dads" to the wing could add significantly to the price--assuming that those were wartime vintage additions and not post hoc add-ons to wings in category 6 and 7 to bolster their value.

I am sure others can quibble with the breakdown, and the market seems to always be in flux, going up or down depending on who is collecting. IMHO, the peak prices seemed to have been met, and the value is now dropping for most of the categories.

PFrost

Jumpin Jack
Excellent question, something i would like to find out too as i have these wings bought from a fellow member who said they are rare which i believe as i never seen this maker before.

Eric

Beautiful wings, but unfortunately not WWII era. The Senior Parachutist wings were not intro-duced until 1947. Jack Angolia

Beautiful wings, but unfortunately not WWII era. The Senior Parachutist wings were not intro-duced until 1947. Jack Angolia

Are you sure it was 1947? I believe the Army General Staff studied adding additional "Ratings for Parachutists" in 1949. As a result, the Master and Senior Parachutist badges were authorized by Change #4 tor AR 600-70 on 24 January 1950.

Eric

I bought a set like that in a flea market in Paris last September. The seller had a four or five others. That firm also makes CIBs. Somewhere on this forum, I think, there is a thread that discusses these and why they were made. I don't believe they are rare in quantity produced, but might be difficult to find.

I bought a set like that in a flea market in Paris last September. The seller had a four or five others. That firm also makes CIBs. Somewhere on this forum, I think, there is a thread that discusses these and why they were made. I don't believe they are rare in quantity produced, but might be difficult to find.

Thanks for the info, i knew they were korea war era but all the same i like the wings detail stunning in person, I have a few pin back jump wings and this one stands out from the norm. If they were 1947 i would expect to see the Pat. number with dimples on the clutches from what i've learned here they still used them during this period. I'll have to post my Gemsco wings shortly to get some opnions.

Hey has anyone seen a M23 marked jump wing i've been looking for one, CB or PB dosen't matter.

Eric

RANDALL 1953

Thanks for the responses. Certainly a wealth of material here and much appreciated. Here are one of my jump wings marked G-I with a small V in a circle. Can I get an ID on this maker?post-2427-1270338461.jpg

Hi Randall,

I'm thinking Vanguard i could be wrong but that's what comes to mind.. Anyone have a makers code book handy.

Eric

FrankEaton01
Here are one of my jump wings marked G-I with a small V in a circle. Can I get an ID on this maker?

The V in a circle hallmark was used by Volupte, Inc. :thumbsup:

RANDALL 1953

Thank you both. At first I was thinking Vanguard also because of the V so a big Thank You to FrankEaton01 for clearing that up.

Thanks for the info, i knew they were korea war era but all the same i like the wings detail stunning in person, I have a few pin back jump wings and this one stands out from the norm. If they were 1947 i would expect to see the Pat. number with dimples on the clutches from what i've learned here they still used them during this period. I'll have to post my Gemsco wings shortly to get some opnions.

Hey has anyone seen a M23 marked jump wing i've been looking for one, CB or PB dosen't matter.

Eric

The J. Balme wings from France were made within the last five years or so, not as far back as the Korean War.

I have some jump wings made by Gemsco. There is 1 battle star, and the jump oval is also present.

What would they be worth?

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
Thanks for the responses. Certainly a wealth of material here and much appreciated. Here are one of my jump wings marked G-I with a small V in a circle. Can I get an ID on this maker?post-2427-1270338461.jpg

Anyone can tell me if these are WWII made or post WWII.

• 2 years later...
triplecanopy

Eric

M23 is listed in one reference I have as the hallmark for McCabe Brothers. I've never seen this hallmark on anything. W23 is Western Military Supply and they did make a few jump wings.

triplecanopy

I would personally love to see an AMCRAFT hallmarked parachute badge. Also a BeverlyCraft as those are both mentioned as makers of WWII era parachute wings.

Add to your long list above: AH Dondero, Uriscraft and Occupation: Kyoto Japan. Post WWII there were many others that made parachute wings to include Antaya, Coro, CrestCraft, Denmark, Emblem Supply, HLP, JMS, Krew, Military Post Supply, Ed Piera, Polk Sales, Sugerman, Simco and Western Military Supply.

Many of those listed made badges in STERLING. I may have missed a couple, but there are many makers out there that made parachute wings, so good hunting.

Senior and Master Paratroopers were not 1947. They were authorized in 1949 by HQDA but did not become official until 24 Jan 1950, C-4, AR600-70.

M23 is listed in one reference I have as the hallmark for McCabe Brothers.

I believe they made cloth insignia and nothing in metal. That is why you never see their hallmark.

45 John Street

New York NY 10038

triplecanopy

Here is my input on this subject based on over 40 years of collecting parachute badges. Consider this a draft that could use your knowledgeable comments to make it more accurate.

Rarity Scale of US Army Parachute Badges HM by manufacturer:

Ultra Rare: 10

Very Rare: 8-9

Rare: 6-7

Uncommon: 4-5

Fairly Scarce- 2-3

Generally available- 1

Ultra Rare:

Amcraft B PB (HM Amcraft Attleboro Ma. May have snowflake marks) -10
Beverly Craft B PB (Beverly Hills Ca. may be HM with leaning palm tree) -10
Tiffany B PB (HM TIFFANY STER) -10

Very Rare:

AH Dondero B PB (HM A.H. DONDERO, INC. Wash. D.C. Sterling) -8

Bailey Banks & Biddle B PB (HM BB&B STERLING) -9

Chapel B PB Sterling Jeweler Made -8

Mullin, Atlanta B PB Sterling Jeweler Made -8

Sew on metal B w/4 small silver rings Unknown maker -9

Uriscraft B PB (HM URISCRAFT STERLING) -8

Weyhring B PB & SB (PB is very rare) -8

Rare:

A.E. Co. B PB (HM A.E. Co. Utica NY) Sterling -6

Amico B PB (Amico HM in various locations) Sterling -6

Balfour All PB & CB (HM LGB or 1B) -6
Durocharm B PB (HM Durocharm NYC Sterling) -6
"H" in a circle Jack Heller B PB & CB -6
Hillborn & Hamburger B PB HM HH -7

Leonard Phila B PB & CB Sterling -7

Metal Arts Company B PB & CB MACO Rochester NY -7

Norsid PB B PB -7

Officer’s Equipment Company OEC All PB & CB (distinct design variation) -6
Orber B PB HM in a circle STERLING BY ORBER -6

Uncommon:

Gemsco All PB & CB HM GEMSCO, AGO G2, G22 -4

GP General Products B CB -4
Robbins All PB Flying R STERLING (B & Mstr known) -4

Robbins B PB Attleboro Ma. -5
Simon Brothers All PB Sterling -5

Fairly Scarce:

Bell Trading Post All PB & CB (Mstr not found as yet) -3

N.S. Meyer All PB & CB (Beware of restrikes) Sterling & SF -2

WW II era British made US Parachute Badges:

Very Rare:

Thomas Fattorini LTD Birmingham Made in England B PB -9

Rare:

Simpson & Son Limited Birmingham HM SS LTD B PB -7

Uncommon:
Firmin London B PB -5

Ludlow London B PB -5

Fairly Scarce:

JR Gaunt B PB (widely reproduced) -3

Australian made US Parachute Badges:

Ultra Rare:
K G Luke B PB -10
Wallace Bishop B PB -10
Rare:
Angus & Coote B PB HM Angus & Coote Sydney Stl Sil 4-different HM Known -6

Post WWII Occupation Made Badges:
Very Rare:

Aoki Metals B PB -Tokyo Japan -9

Assmann & Sohn B PB -9

Poellath- B PB HM JP or P in a circle Germany -8

Rare:

Assmann & Sohn- Germany All CB HM with A 265, 266, 267 -6

Kalka –Augsburg Germany CB -6
Kyoto –Japan B PB -7

Sendai- Japan some marked STERLING (not silver) 1946 -6

Uncommon:
Kalka – Germany B CB -4

POST WWII to Vietnam era

Manufacturers parachute wings 1946-1970:

Uncommon to Generally Available:

Antaya All PB & CB Attleboro, Ma Sterling & SF -3

Bell Trading Post All PB & CB (signpost w/bell inside) Albuquerque, NM -2

Coro (Cohn-Rosenberger) New York NY/ provenance RI B CB marked 12C -3

CP Co. NYC B CB -3

Crest Craft All PB & CB marked << in a box, 23C, C23, Cincinnati, Oh -2

Crest Craft All PB & CB HM 14C both flat and “bubble” style -2

Denmark All PB & CB (marked 6D, D22) Astoria NY -2

E.H. Simon Inc. All PB Sterling -3

Emblem Supply HM 1-E, E23 Sterling All PB & CB -3

Emblematic Trades New York Sterling (?) Mstr only found (unknown)

IRA Green Inc. G23 All CB -1

HLP His Lordship Products CB All Sterling & SF -2

JMS Joseph M. Shanholtz All PB & CB Sterling -3

LIGI Lordship Industries CB SF -1

Krew All CB Sterling HM 1K, K21 -2

Made in USA (unknown maker) B CB SF -3

Military Post Supply HM MPS M-21 -2

Ed Piera B PB HM P-24 -4

Phillips Publications CB Sterling -1

Polk Sales Corp. B HM 1P B CB -4

Sugerman B PB & CB HM ‘S’ inside shield w/crown Harry Sugerman -3

Sugerman SUSCO All HM S-21 -1

Silverman Corp CB 2S Sr (B & Mstr not yet found) -3

Simco All PB & CB HM Simco GI Sterling -2

TNGI All CB T21 SF -1

Vanguard All CB Sterling & SF HM 1V,V1, V21 (both large and small logo) -2

Volupte Circle V All Sterling HM with ‘V’ inside a ring -2

Western Military Supply B CB HM 11W, W23 San Francisco, Ca. -2

Williams & Anderson HM Diamond w/squiggle, W25 provenance, RI SF -1

Wolf/Brown CB HM 6W, W22 Los Angeles, Ca. SF -2

Other known parachute badge makers:

Armetko -7
J Balme France All CB detailed w/frosting (recent manufacture of limited quantity) 5

Luxemberg B Sterling New York (recent manufacture of limited quantity)

M&B B-HAM (need more info)

Medals of America M37 -1

Mexico

Romex

Marked ‘STERLING’ only (Unknown Makers – marked sterling/silver)

Arched STERLING

STERLING Lower left raised letters

STERLING Lower right raised letters

STERLING Lower left inset letters

STERLING Lower right inset letters

STERLING Center raised letters

STERLING Center inset letters

Upside down STERLING

STERLING Slant lower left raised letters

Sterling Silver raised letters

Silver (some made in Japan during occupation)

Bubble canopy with arched STERLING

Other variations exist

Key:

HM = Hallmark

PB = Pin back

CB = clutch back

SB= Screwback

B = Basic wings only

Sr = Senior

Mstr =Master

All = Basic, Senior and master grades found

SF = Silver Filled

8 = Very Rare

Note #1: StayBrite and pot metal wings of recent manufacture are not included in this list.

Note #2: Die struck wings will have crisp edges with die marks visible. Cast wings are generally copies of authentic badges, have rounded edges, less than clear hallmarks and often have pinholes and extra metal dots. Beware. There are a lot of fakes out there!

Note #3 The relative value of a badge is based on one’s experience and what they are willing to pay. The rarer a badge is, the more you can expect to pay for it.

Note #4 Information above was gathered from numerous sources; suggestions -comments are welcome. If you have examples not listed, I’ll be glad to update.

AIRBORNE! Robert K. Suchke