WW2 Jump Wings Maker Rarity Ratings?

Navynambu,

I got my Weyhing marked jump wing for about 5$ more than 10 years ago. It came out of a small box of odds and ends that I found in a flea market. I have no worries that this wing isn't good. Having handled a fair amount of jump wings over the years, other than they being screw back, I have no reason to believe that this wing is a modern or recent strike.

So, I am not sure what you are saying? That the Weyhing wings are fakes or recent restrikes? That they aren't WWII vintage? Frankly, I am just a little skeptical myself that just because Mark Brando hasn't found one that he can contribute that they weren't vintage.

Patrick

post-1519-0-96289200-1381254859.jpg

triplecanopy

Interesting input by Navynambu. I had not heard that story before. The older helmet liners from the 1950's had a hole in the front for wear of rank, wings and sometimes enlisted eagles. Usually worn on parade, the helmet liner alone was worn instead of the complete steel pot. I had one for a while, but it is long gone. Perhaps a Forum member has one.

Anyone else have input on this subject, your perspective is welcome.

I have one in my collection that I bought probably 10 years or so ago at the Great Western Gun Show. I remember the seller had about a half dozen of them for sale. What I remember which I thought was strange at the time was that these were supposedly made in China. I don't know where this came from but this is what everyone was saying about this particular wing. My guess is that the hallmark of Weyhing sounds Chinese. I just looked on the Internet and there is a Wey Hing Industries in Hong Kong. I have never come across a pin back or clutch back version of this wing just the screw back.

triplecanopy

If you happen to have a copy of the absolutely wonderful book, HEROS IN OUR MIDST, take a look on page 343 and you can view the type of helmet liner I am refering to in the post above. I recall that rank insignia, jump wings and other metal badges were worn on helmet liners during parades, ceremonies or guard duty. The Weyhing wings have a threaded post that would fit in this helmet hole. I don't believe they were worn on a khaki shirt or dress uniform because of having to put a hole in the uniform. Pin back or clutchback wings were much easier to place on the uniform.

triplecanopy

Oh yeah, one other point. Mr. navynambu not once in my earlier posting about the Weyhing parachute wings did I mention that they were WWII vintage. I am not sure where you arrived at that conclusion. I happen to believe that they are most likely post war and from the 1950-early 1960 time frame. I am certainly open to quality research information.

Hi Robert,

In your earlier post, you mentioned that "not much information is known about this maker" and if anybody had some additional information, please post it.

It was not my intention to be the bearer of bad news, just facts. Sorry if I made you angry. Frankly, a lot is known about this maker.

As I previously indicated,Weyhing brothers manufacturing company is still in business. It has been in business for more than 100 years. Their level of workmanship is arguably second to none. It could be argued that they are one of the bets "small shop" silversmiths involved in insignia making left in the United States. They still do business at 3040 Gratiot Avenue, Detroit, MI 48207, telephone 313-567-0600.

http://apps.detroitnews.com/apps/multimedia/gallery.php?id=11859

So, to answer your query, that is who made your wing. They certainly made the wing you have. They also certainly made the wing PFrost has as well.

Also, I note Tomamachi confirms that there was at least a dealer with numerous of these wings (about 6) about 10 years ago at a GW show. So that direct observation provides some additional support for the statement these wings were seen in multiple group quanity, a decade or so ago...

I saw the Weyhring jump wings from the batch orders 10 or 15 yeas ago myself, and in my opinion those looked just like yours Robert, but they did not look like PFrost's wing. But Lord only knows how many of that mfg style were Weyhing made and precisly when they were stamped out (probaly stamped out when anyone wanted to pay for some?). But I am aware of an Order being placed, and jump wings being produced by them, in that time frame, a decade or so ago, and some of the people who received the those Weyhing jump wings frequent this forum.

Comparing PFrost's wing photos with yours, the back of your wing looks subtly, or more than subtly, different from the one PFrosy has (his looks a lot different to me, older, with different manufacturing techniques, than yours). Personally, I think your wing was made more recently than your "1950's" contention, but that is a debate neither one of us can prove it, without probably getting direct input from Mr. Weyhing himself (see his photographs, at the link above).. Yours is a lovely wing, I wasn't trying to insult it; it just is what it is.

If you want to think yours was made in the 1950s or 1960s, it would agree that anything is possible.

This company certainly did make insignia, and probably did make jump wings, during World War II. I suppose you could actually call them up and ask them. I haven't done that, but perhaps it would be interesting to see if they still have that information. So, there is a phone number and if you need any more information on your wing, maybe they can help you further research your wing.

I was just trying to let you know there was a bunch of these made fairly recently, and they looked like yours. Again, not trying to insult you or your wing, just share some collector knowledge; sorry, I thought that was what this place was all about...Again, I apologize if I stepped on your sensitve collecting toe. Rollie

I never started out to collect airborne wings. But as I was collecting WWII wings, I came across a fair number of jump wings. If they were cheap enough (less than about 20$) I would buy them. But most of the wings I did pick up were less than 10$.

I really liked the Band of Brothers series and started getting a more interested in airborne stuff, but still kept my price threshold very low.

This is one of the low price treasures I picked up a few years before the BoB came out. I actually only bought it because of the BB&B hallmark--since I didn't have any other US insignia made by that company. It wasn't until a few years later that I learned how rare they were and what they represented, and then a few years after that that they probably weren't as rare as I had originally thought.

Although you can't really see the hallmark, these are BB&B made wings.

post-1519-0-36335100-1381341741.jpg

Here is some of the collection posted on my website, including some great photos:

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/WWII_airborne.html

This is another wing that I bought for almost nothing well before I had any real idea of what it stood for or its value. I found this at one of our local antique stores and picked it up because it seemed interesting.

A nice Japanese (probably) made wing for a guy in the 11th AB.

post-1519-0-61295200-1381341946.jpg

Here is a post war single post screw back paratrooper wing of the type that I figured was worn on a helmet liner due to the very convenient hole in the front.

post-1389-0-62331000-1381353036.jpg

All great input from fine folks. If my 'sensitive toe' felt stepped on by NavyNambu, I assure you it was not. I was only stating that I never claimed that the Weyhing wings were WWII Vintage. I for one appreciate your insight and knowledge of this maker. You have certainly enlightened me. Perhaps the rarity of Weyhing wings needs to be reevaluated. I just know from my own experience that they are very scarce, seldom seen even on eBay where numerous copies, fakes and fantasy wings show up frequently. Your knowledge of this maker is infomation worth sharing with other collectors who can certainly form their own opinion. Thanks also to Pfrost and Tonomachi for continuing to share photos of their collections. That is what this Forum is all about.

All the best. Robert BTW, all my toes are in good shape!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
triplecanopy

I saw these Luxemberg Jump Wings on eBay. They sold at a bit over $200.00 I was very skeptical about them and passed, but was wondering if any of the other parachute wing collectors had an opinion on them. I read another post where at least one in our group stated that Luxemberg did make some parachute badges. Your expertise and insight is most welcome.

post-48217-0-41787300-1412444380.jpg

post-48217-0-76046000-1412444392.jpg

I saw these Luxemberg Jump Wings on eBay. They sold at a bit over $200.00 I was very skeptical about them and passed, but was wondering if any of the other parachute wing collectors had an opinion on them. I read another post where at least one in our group stated that Luxemberg did make some parachute badges. Your expertise and insight is most welcome.

This piece looks like a copy of a Luxemburg hallmarked sterling pin back paratrooper wing that popped up on eBay and attributed to a Lt. Charles Casey of the 509th PIR. Some of the advance airborne wing collectors are suspicious of this piece as well.

post-1389-0-74560300-1412565913.jpg

post-1389-0-10857700-1412565924.jpg

I believe that the wing with the raised Lux. logo is currently being made by the guy who owns the trademark. They looks vaguely like a real pair. When the piece with the incised Lux. hallmark was offered, I was one of the ones who didn't like it. Some years ago, I posted here on the forum that I saw a pair of these wings that I am 99.9% sure were originals. I made the serious mistake of describing them as it is clear that those wishing to fake such a wing are going of what I wrote at the time...

Allan