WW2 Jump Wings Maker Rarity Ratings?

Great thread and I too have been collecting paratrooper wings for maybe a little over 30 years yet I've never come across the Ultra Rare WW2 era US made parachute wings referred to in the above list. I've also never come across a few of the WW2 era British & Australian made parachute wings (that I felt were real) as well as some of the mentioned occupation era parachute wings. I guess they could exist but I'm wondering why we haven't seen them, especially on eBay, where although very expensive everything seems to turn up eventually. Of course some of these rare parachute wings that do turn up on eBay are probably outright fakes. As an example I've seen a occupation era Japanese made US parachute wing hallmarked KYOTO JAPAN once on eBay. It looked real but I've always wondered about this wing as I don't think there were any US paratrooper stationed in Kyoto during the occupation. You see rather frequently variations of the SENDAI JAPAN occupation US paratrooper wing on eBay where US paratroopers were stationed during the occupation. Most of them look original so wouldn't you expect to see more of the KYOTO JAPAN parachute wings unless of course it is a total fake. I could be wrong as the construction of this wing especially on the back looked genuine. It would be great to see a photo of any of the Ultra Rare WW2 era US made parachute wings.

triplecanopy

Here is a KYOTO Japan marked parachute badge. I have had it a number of years and believe that it is correct and authentic. It is almost identical to the image pictured in the "Heros in our Midst" Book on the top of page 161. I'll post the front side below.

post-48217-0-15287300-1376225920.jpg

triplecanopy

Here is the front of the KYOTO Japan parachute badge. Note that the canopy is flat. The badge has a slight curve to it and perhaps was bent by the wearer long ago. If anyone has more info on the occupation made wings of Japan, we would like to hear from you. SENDAI made badges are the most well known. AKOI also made parachute badges and very little is known about that maker or KYOTO. If you have information it would be appreciated. Thanks. Robert

post-48217-0-17605100-1376225990.jpg

Kyoto is not a maker but rather a city-area in (Kyoto, Prefecture) Japan, the same as Sendi was not a maker but rather an area. Hallmarks of the city of manufacture was sometimes used in Japan rather than a company name. In both cases US Army units were stationed in these areas after the war.

Here is the front of the KYOTO Japan parachute badge. Note that the canopy is flat. The badge has a slight curve to it and perhaps was bent by the wearer long ago. If anyone has more info on the occupation made wings of Japan, we would like to hear from you. SENDAI made badges are the most well known. AKOI also made parachute badges and very little is known about that maker or KYOTO. If you have information it would be appreciated. Thanks. Robert

So you were the one who picked up this Kyoto hallmarked paratrooper wing on eBay. I kept the photos of it for reference although they were out of focus so many thanks for the additional photos. This is the one and only time I've ever come across a Kyoto Japan hallmarked wing. Have you ever seen another? Were paratroopers stationed in Kyoto during the occupation?

triplecanopy

No, I did bid on that one back a few months ago, but I've had mine for many years. I have the photos of that recent listing, but got out bid too. Since I already had one, I let it go. I don't know who the winning bidder was? As to the previous post. You are correct. Kyoto, Sendai and AKOI are cities in Japan and not necessarily the makers. As collectors we are looking for all the different variations of wings (within reason). The major collective grouping is by different manufacturers and in the Post-occupation world of WWII, these particular parachute wings fall into a unique category.

Looking closely at the Kyoto and Sendi they look like they were made by the same manufacturer and just different city name in the back die. That is why I wanted to see a AKOI version. There is a metal stamping company called AKOI.

I guess this means we'll soon see a flood of rare "Kyoto - Japan" hallmarked reproductions on the market.

WWII US Paratrooper Wing Badge Japan Sendi Sterling

$60.00
SKU:
P-1658
Qty:

A museum quality reproduction of an extremely rare Post World War II Paratrooper Badge. The original of this badge was made in Japan after the war and is considered to be the rarest of all paratrooper badges. Look at the pin back, you will not find this on any other US badge. While not an original a great item for any collection until a real one comes along. This museum quality reproduction is made of Sterling Silver complete with the proper Sendi hallmarks

triplecanopy

I am not a fan of the "reproductions" at all. However since most reproductions are cast, the more details that are made available to collectors regarding the look and feel of authentic wings vs the copies, the better off we all are. I do wish all those copies were stamped 'COPY' very deeply so that the unsuspecting buyer would have no doubt as to what he was buying. Until that time, education is the best weapon against being duped.

No, I did bid on that one back a few months ago, but I've had mine for many years. I have the photos of that recent listing, but got out bid too. Since I already had one, I let it go. I don't know who the winning bidder was? As to the previous post. You are correct. Kyoto, Sendai and AKOI are cities in Japan and not necessarily the makers. As collectors we are looking for all the different variations of wings (within reason). The major collective grouping is by different manufacturers and in the Post-occupation world of WWII, these particular parachute wings fall into a unique category.

Here are the photos I kept of the Kyoto Japan paratrooper wing that I got outbid on on eBay that I kept photographs of. I thought that this would show that a second one exists but this sort of looks like the one in your photos. So I'm guessing I missed the second Kyoto Japan paratrooper wing that was on eBay that you spoke of.

post-1389-0-14208500-1376434871.jpg

post-1389-0-29185400-1376434944.jpg

Looking closely at the Kyoto and Sendi they look like they were made by the same manufacturer and just different city name in the back die. That is why I wanted to see a AKOI version. There is a metal stamping company called AKOI.

So far I've come across four variations of the Sendai Japan hallmarked paratrooper wing none of which matches the Kyoto Japan hallmarked paratrooper wing.

The first two are hallmarked Sendai Japan but without the date of 1946.

post-1389-0-03812800-1376435807.jpg

post-1389-0-40489700-1376435823.jpg

triplecanopy

Here is the KYOTO badge that I recall listed back just a few months ago. Not a great photo, but from what I can tell it looks good.

I'll post the front side next. This is not the one I have, someone else got this one, so perhaps there are at least three (or more out there).

post-48217-0-25679700-1376435806.jpg

The second two are hallmarked Sendai Japan 1946. The fancy one with the feathering is also hallmarked Sterling. As you can see none of these match the front of the Kyoto Japan hallmarked paratrooper wing. There are a number of other unmarked probable Japanese occupation period paratrooper wings but again they do not match the Kyoto Japan hallmarked paratrooper wing. I've never seen an AKOI hallmarked occupation period paratrooper wing and would love to see one.

post-1389-0-44059200-1376435950.jpg

post-1389-0-07355900-1376435964.jpg

triplecanopy

I agree with Tonomachi, The KYOTO wings and the SENDAI wings are not alike at all. I have four Sendai wings and all have slight differences. None of the Sendai wings match the Kyoto wings.

triplecanopy

Looking at the photos of the KYOTO wings that you posted, leads me to realize that it is the same badge. There is a stain on the back that is identical. I have had it a few years, so it must have been the same one you saw on eBay.

triplecanopy

" I've never seen an AKOI hallmarked occupation period paratrooper wing and would love to see one". If any of you have one, please post a photo and let us see it. One reference I have lists AKOI Metals, Tokyo so that would mean AKOI metals is a manufacturer's mark rather than a location.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great thread. A lot of good information is posted here. Let's keep it going. If you have uncommon to ultra-rare parachute wings, please let us see them so we can all learn more. I know that there are some serious veteran collectors out there, so please contribute to this discussion.

Thanks. All the best,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a Crest Craft basic parachute badge in the "bubble" style. It is marked 14C on the back and STERLING. It has a blown out or expanded canopy. I am looking for the master parachutist in this exact same style if anyone has one. Please PM me.

post-48217-0-96438200-1379112666.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
triplecanopy

Here is a scarce Weyhing screw back parachute badge. I believe that this wing was mostly worn on helmet liners. It has a single threaded post and comes with a round brass nut. I understand that Weyhing also made a sterling pinback parachute badge. If anyone has a duplicate, please let me know.

Not much information is available about this maker, so if anyone has information to add, please do so.

All the best,

Robert

post-48217-0-56960800-1381113721.jpg

In regard to your Weyhing jump wing, the company is still in business in Detroit Michigan, and is still making lots of insignia and related trinkets. I talked with someone at the company as recently as a couple of years ago and my understanding is they will still make you this jump wing, if you wanted to order a fair number of them, and if they were not too busy with other projects. When I talked with him a couple years ago, they said they were too busy to mess with my order then. More importantly for your post, however, I think it is fairly well known (apparently not by you) that there was a dozen, or probably more, of these wings ordered by some people, including members of this forum, maybe 10 years or so ago or longer (I am just sort of guessing on the time frame at this late date, I lose track as the years go by). But, there are members of this forum that could give you specific dates and circumstances, if they wanted to. These wings occasionally have floated around among various jump wing collectors since then, and do pop up on eBay once in a while, mostly by some of the original people who ordered them or got them out of the lot form Weyhing, or people but it gotten them from those folks. Your comment that "I believe that this wing was mostly war on helmet liners" is in my opinion completely unfounded. Please let us know who you heard that from. For supporting authority that these are not a wartime wing, besides my personal opinion based on knowledge gained in the collecting community, I would refer you to noted author who runs the trigger time 101st airborne website, Mark Bando, who is probably more knowledgeable about the types of wings which is been found in possession of World War II airborne soldier's house, if I recall Markbando's comments correctly, I believe Mark has posted on his website that words to the effect there is absolutely no evidence this wing was ever found in the possession of a World War II airborne soldier who acquired it during that time frame.They neat looking, but I do not believe they are World War II. Maybe it is time to have someone repost that information over on a trigger time website, if people are selling these as actual World War II wings, that were somehow worn on helmet liners, just so newer collectors know KFC. Mr. Bando lives in the Detroit area and has personally been to the Weyhing shop. So, since you asked for any additional information, that is the information I have on this maker. If anyone can provide proof that these are World War II jump wings, and specifically refer us to an airborne soldier who had them in his possession during that time frame, I would love to see that. But at this point in time, quite a few people have these in the collection, but most of them know exactly what they are where they came from. Caveat emptor. Rollie