FAAA RUNS THE RHINE CROSSING SHOW

FAAA

CAMPAIGN 45 2010 POST EVENT REPORT

The First Allied Airborne Association when not attending events are running their own, in March during the exact dates that OP Varsity took place the group ran the Campaign 45 Event. The group itself represented the 17th Airborne Division while others represented the many other Allied Airborne and Ground Forces involved in the late war Campaigns

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of the groups and individuals who attended and supported the Campaign 45 2010 event that took place at the Chiltern Open Air Museum last weekend.

The aim of the event was to commemorate the 65th Aniversary of last few months of the war in the ETO and the final Varsity Campaign, the crossing of the Rhine

I am sure all who attended and was involved in the event will agree the standard of Living History surpassed all previous events held at the museum. The event was a tremendous success on many levels and that is entirely down to those groups and individuals who took part. It was no surprise to me that the standards were so high as that is why those groups were invited to attend, however what was so impressive was the imagination used by each of the groups to produce such dynamic static displays and War Walks First Person Living History Scenarios which made this event so different to what we have done before. Regardless of the size of unit, number of troops involved or length of scenario all the “Acts” on the War Walks looked outstanding and is what the public will remember from the show, this is all down to the groups who worked very hard to put their units history over in such a way that it was informative and exciting for the public.

All groups conducted themselves in an exemplary manner throughout the weekend, the Museum staff commenting on many groups caring attitude, this may be a small point but goes a long way when organising for future events. Only in a small number of cases did I have to rectify minor problems allowing me to also enjoy my re-enacting and the weekend as a whole.

This event was never going to be an open event, the vast majority of groups who were interested in representing Allied and Axis were invited to take part, but not all and that decision was justified with the resulting quality of groups taking part. On Sunday Military vehicles turned up, not booked in with a group and not expected or invited, they were turned away which was unfortunate however the event was not to be compromised and regardless of fears it may well be, it was not. Instead organisations such as CORA, LHA and AFRA worked together with a mutual aim, WWII Living History and in so doing gave mutual support to each other.

It is very much hoped that this event will run again next March, and I hope to expand of what we have done, incorporating a few ideas already received from groups, changing around of locations will keep it fresh and give others an opportunity to dig in and have hard overhead cover. I hope to include more Axis Forces next year and give them more prominent areas. We already have planned a major May show in 2011 based on the already successful Prelude to D-Day event we have run in past years, and for this event we will be moving the Village to the South Coast of England and the seaborne landings training scenarios, however it is felt that there is room for two events at COAM both with different aims and concepts, but both 100% Living History without the distractions of Militaria fairs and Burger Vans.

While we had a great weekend with friends doing the hobby we love so dear, never far from our minds were the sacrifices made by those men and women of the units we represented, those units on both sides who suffered terrible losses only months before the war ended in Europe.

I hope from the pictures below all will see the very high standards of Living History displayed at this event.

Regards to all

Lee Bowden

FAAA

CAMPAIGN 45

2045932640102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2667371700102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2245763950102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2307345130102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2197381380102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2173255600102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2148201220102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2452555930102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2295563700102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2965997570102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice pictures but I believe the forum is for US-related items, uniforms, pictures, and such only; not Brit, German, or Russian or other nations.

We all should abide by the same clearly published and oft stated rules/guidelines regarding subject matter published on the forum Otherwise it will get out of hand.

Nice pictures but I believe the forum is for US-related items, uniforms, pictures, and such only; not Brit, German, or Russian or other nations.

We all should abide by the same clearly published and oft stated rules/guidelines regarding subject matter published on the forum Otherwise it will get out of hand.

Roger Out

Mods and Admin just let me know if you would like me to delete all Non US related pictures, not a problem can do if required.

Regards

Lee

USMC Recon...i think Lee (FAAA)posted these pictures to show the "variety" and quality of re enactors that attended this show.......so let this series of pictures stand.

It would be interesting Lee if you shared the pictures particularly of the US units as this is predominantly a US forum.

Great pictures and more are welcome......US re enactment units in attendance were

The Big Red One (1st Infantry Division WW2 LHA)

2nd Rangers (Ranger Re-Enactments )

17th Airborne (FAAA)

24th Field Hospital (Army Nurses)

78th Infantry Division (GI44-45)

any comments on photos welcome

Regards

Lloyd