Amcraft Snowflake Backed Wing

Wingcommander

Wingcommander

Hello Collectors! I have been a member of this site for a while now, but this is the first time I've ever posted! I'm a veteran of a few other forums....wonder if anyone will be able to guess who I am.....lol. I have a question concerning a Pilot's Wing. I don't have photos of it quite yet, but I have seen it in person before, and I will post them here for opinions before I purchase it, but I would like to ask one question in advance. It's an Amcraft Marked Pilot, non sterling. When holding it in hand it looked correct, but it has quite a few spots where it looks "brassy" as if the finish has been polished off.....Can this be so? Would early plated examples have brass showing through from wear? I will post photos as soon as I get them.

Cheers!

Mike

Hello Collectors! I have been a member of this site for a while now, but this is the first time I've ever posted! I'm a veteran of a few other forums....wonder if anyone will be able to guess who I am.....lol. I have a question concerning a Pilot's Wing. I don't have photos of it quite yet, but I have seen it in person before, and I will post them here for opinions before I purchase it, but I would like to ask one question in advance. It's an Amcraft Marked Pilot, non sterling. When holding it in hand it looked correct, but it has quite a few spots where it looks "brassy" as if the finish has been polished off.....Can this be so? Would early plated examples have brass showing through from wear? I will post photos as soon as I get them.

Cheers!

Mike

Welcome Mike,

Yes, you can expect that some of the silver plating would wear off and you would get the underlying brass to show through. Here is a well worn senior pilot wing where you can see that the silver plate has come off in a number of places.

I have seen more than a few of these wings and for some reason, the silver plate didn't seem to adhere or be as heavy as on other wings, and you see it coming off.

Patrick

post-1519-1270146621.jpg

John Cooper

Hats off to Patrick for posting a nice example which nicely illustrates the common wear with these wing badges. Mike I am looking forward to you posting some photos.

Cheers!

John

I've been looking at these designs more lately. Here is Col. Wrigglesworth wearing his. I can't tell if it's AMCRAFT or LGB, can you?

post-3515-1270166785.jpg

John Cooper

Good question Paul - very hard to tell since I can not see the detail enough to say either way.

John

John Cooper
As promised, the photos. It looks OK to me, what say the experts?

reverse.jpg

obverse.jpg

Looks good to me :thumbsup: but I will wait for the experts to chime in.

John

Wingcommander

Thanks John, I appreciate your help! Any others with input? How much would one expect to pay for this wing? (wow....there's an uncommon question :lol: )

Hi Mike,

That's a good one!

Thanks John, I appreciate your help! Any others with input? How much would one expect to pay for this wing? (wow....there's an uncommon question :lol: )

Hi Paul,

Difficult to tell, but I do love those early wing and props!

I've been looking at these designs more lately. Here is Col. Wrigglesworth wearing his. I can't tell if it's AMCRAFT or LGB, can you?

Wingcommander
Hi Paul,

Difficult to tell, but I do love those early wing and props!

I think it's possible that it's an Amcraft Senior rather than a Balfour... The Amcraft has space between the wing shoulders and the Radiator, whereas the Balfour radiator is almost entirely touching the shoulders.....? You can clearly see the gap in the photo