BB&B Jumpwing Question

Nkomo

I recently have put these wings up for sale on the board. The authenticity of these wings was called into question because of the position of the BB&B mark. Before I move these on to Ebay or sell them to another collector, I'd like to confirm that it is authentic or a reproduction. I certainly wouldn't want to sell a collector a fake piece.

The back story on these wings is that they came from an estate sale here in the Tri-State area of WV/OH/KY. I bought these from a friend of mine who is a picker. Other than that....I know nothing else.

So....what is the verdict? Good or bad????

Arch

001.JPG

Reverse. If you need a close up of the back....let me know and I'll have my son take some better ones.

023.JPG

Reverse. If you need a close up of the back....let me know and I'll have my son take some better ones.

Howdy,

There is a very interesting thread about BB&B jump wings. Someone had posted what I feel is a restrike of the wing and made the arguement that his wing was "vintage" because it was better made than the other wings that other people had in their collection. In this thread, a number of collectors posted BB&B hallmarked wings, including myself.

One thing that I noticed is that in many of the wings, the hallmarks appeared all over the back of the wing, some on the bottom edge, some on the top. In the case of my wing (that I paid 10$ for out of a jewelry box a few years ago), the BB&B hallmark is on the top.

Studying those wings, it seems that, in general, the BB&B hallmark is rather fine and delicate, not heavy and deep. IN my example, you really can't see the hallmark well, but the hardware, pin, catch, size, everything other than the simple placement of the hallmark are the same.

In my humble opinion, your wing is 100% vintage and I am actually rather surprised that anyone gave you grief over it--especially since your asking price seems to be more than fair. The last couple of these wings one eBay sold for around $1000! I would have expected some of the more knowledgeable airborne collectors to come in to the discussion.

Patrick

So, for what it is worth, I think your wing is 100% WWII vintage.

post-1519-1270138448.jpg

BTW, here is that old thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&b+jump

You may want to read that thread carefully.

Howdy,

There is a very interesting thread about BB&B jump wings. Someone had posted what I feel is a restrike of the wing and made the arguement that his wing was "vintage" because it was better made than the other wings that other people had in their collection. In this thread, a number of collectors posted BB&B hallmarked wings, including myself.

One thing that I noticed is that in many of the wings, the hallmarks appeared all over the back of the wing, some on the bottom edge, some on the top. In the case of my wing (that I paid 10$ for out of a jewelry box a few years ago), the BB&B hallmark is on the top.

Studying those wings, it seems that, in general, the BB&B hallmark is rather fine and delicate, not heavy and deep. IN my example, you really can't see the hallmark well, but the hardware, pin, catch, size, everything other than the simple placement of the hallmark are the same.

In my humble opinion, your wing is 100% vintage and I am actually rather surprised that anyone gave you grief over it--especially since your asking price seems to be more than fair. The last couple of these wings one eBay sold for around $1000! I would have expected some of the more knowledgeable airborne collectors to come in to the discussion.

Patrick

So, for what it is worth, I think your wing is 100% WWII vintage.

Thanks for the quick response. I kind of figured as such. I bought these wings about the same time I bought a gorgeous USMC Paramarine bracelet. Anyway....thanks again! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick response. I kind of figured as such. I bought these wings about the same time I bought a gorgeous USMC Paramarine bracelet. Anyway....thanks again! :thumbsup:

No problem. Like I said, I am kind of surprised that some of the other big airborne collectors didn't contact you about this wing-or jump in with other examples. I know a couple of people have wings with iron clad provenance, and their wings are similar (in not exact matches) to yours.

IIRC, the original run requested from BB&B was about 300-350 wings in total and these were all given out to the first class of paratroopers or such. However, I was told that subsequent runs of wings were also made by BB&B, so the total number out there is likely significantly higher than that. Still, it is one of the rarest of the jump wings. According to some of the others, maybe Tiffany or one of the other overseas companies may be a bit rarer.

Good luck and I am sorry to hear that you have to sell your collection.

Patrick

BB&B made restrikes, from wartime dies, for the 50th Anniversary of the Army Airborne in 1990.

I do not know how they were marked, as I did not buy any. IIRC they were $50, plus S&H.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an intresting tread.

Inluded you see pictures of my BB&B jumpwing olthough it's marked in a way I didn't see before.

042010049.jpg

FRONT

042010048.jpg

BACK

Maybe someone here on the forum has one with the same marking in his collection?

Christian