CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

• 5 weeks later...

Russ, to put a fine point on the "Thunderbird" shoulder sleeve insignia. The thunderbird insignia is actually the Corporate Logo for Southweat Airways. The mistake of calling it the Chinese Cadet patch or Thunderbird Field patch has been published and repeated in too many publications to enumerate. Southwest Airways was a multi-faceted operation during WW2. Besides operating three AAF Contact Pilot Training Schools, it also operated a CAA War Training Service Flying School, a Contract Air Transport route operating out of San Bernardion CA, and a depot overhaul facility.

Now to share some of my SWA goodies:

The attached picture depicts a SWA pilot wing. Besides being worn by SWA Instructor Pilots, it may have bee worn post war when SWA functioned for a short timeas an airline.

Also attached is an unusual octanginal shaped SSI.

post-14361-1288823847.jpg

post-14361-1288823935.jpg

REFERENCE POST #412

Two additional SWA insignia, but 5 inch flight jacket insignia. The first one is a flocked design on wool/felt. The second is chenille.

post-14361-1288824158.jpg

post-14361-1288824171.jpg

CHINESE AVIATION CADET INSIGNIA

Expanding on Chinese versus US made insignia, ahave had the attached in my collection for a long time. Top badge is a typical badge made in China. The lower badge is US made and marked NS Meyer, New York

Second picture is of a U S made chinese Officer's Cap Insignia

post-14361-1288824609.jpg

post-14361-1288824795.jpg

John, you've posted some extremely rare SWA wings, patches and insignia. Thank you for sharing the great images and valuable information. Attached is an image of a period magazine advertisement supporting your comments.

b13029_1__crop.jpg

COOKIEMAN said:

Russ, to put a fine point on the "Thunderbird" shoulder sleeve insignia. The thunderbird insignia is actually the Corporate Logo for Southweat Airways. The mistake of calling it the Chinese Cadet patch or Thunderbird Field patch has been published and repeated in too many publications to enumerate. Southwest Airways was a multi-faceted operation during WW2. Besides operating three AAF Contact Pilot Training Schools, it also operated a CAA War Training Service Flying School, a Contract Air Transport route operating out of San Bernardion CA, and a depot overhaul facility.

Now to share some of my SWA goodies:

The attached picture depicts a SWA pilot wing. Besides being worn by SWA Instructor Pilots, it may have bee worn post war when SWA functioned for a short timeas an airline.

Also attached is an unusual octanginal shaped SSI.

I think the name "Thunderbird Field" rather than "Southwest Airways Flight Academy" has been perpetuated since the school opened in March 1941. In thumbing through some of the old class books, I saw photos entitled "Thunderbird Control Tower"; "Thunderbird Basketball Team"; "Thunderbird Instructors"; "Thunderbird Cadets Marching"; "Stearmans In Formation Over Thunderbird"; "Thunderbird At Sunrise"; "This Is Thunderbird"...

From cover to cover, there was only one reference to the name "Southwest Airways" and that was buried in a paragraph of small script describing the history of "Thunderbird Field". Since there was a cadre of U.S. Army Air Force Officers supervising the school, I would imagine they distanced themselves from the "Southwest Airways" connection and instead promoted an affiliation with the more macho name "Thunderbird Field". And as the years went by, the name "Thunderbird Field" just stuck.

IMG_1712_crop.jpg

Here's a couple of interesting paragraphs copied from the class book depicted above regarding the training of Chinese Cadets. It's also the only reference to "Southwest Airways" in the book.

IMG_1715_crop.jpg

A group photo of Civilian Flight Instructors wearing the CAA eagle-style wings and cap piece. Note the Thunderbird patches on their sleeves..

IMG_1718_crop.jpg

A photo depicting a Flight Instructor with a SWA Thunderbird patch similar to the one illustrated by John.

IMG_1716_crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a CPT patch and Flight School (Colboch) I haven't seen on this thread so thought I'd add it here.

The pilot, Robert B. Cromwell, attended Fullerton JC (now Cal State Fullerton University) and became one of the original Rockettes of VMTB-134. This volunteer group of 10 pilots flew the first TBFs equipped to fire aerial rockets in combat.

Later he joined VMTB-143 and went aboard the USS Gilbert Islands, CVE-107. It was one of the 4 carriers with Marine squadrons only.

Adam Lewis

post-2607-1290056535.jpg

post-2607-1290056621.jpg

Cromwell's certificate, mentions Colboch Flying Services:

post-2607-1290056721.jpg

Scottsbluff Municipal Airport, Nebraska, was the site of a CPT school run by Hogan Flying Service. Jack Moss, front row center, became a Corsair pilot in VMF-512 aboard the USS Gilbert Islands, CVE-107.

Adam Lewis

post-2607-1290139474.jpg

Interesting T-shirts. Some of those with NAVY opted for the Marine Corps. Jack Moss is in the center of the front row.

Adam

post-2607-1290139680.jpg

Lt. Moss' summer flight jacket, 1945.

Adam

post-2607-1290139912.jpg

post-2607-1290140011.jpg

I agree with Russ - a very nice photo what year was it taken (if known)?

BTW theflight jacket looks almost unused - fantastic.

John

John, Russ,

Thanks for your nice comments. I don't know when Jack Moss was in CPT but can tell you he earned his pilot wings at Corpus Christi in Nov. 1943.

Yes, the jacket is near perfect with only a few light rust spots on one sleeve.

Adam

• 2 months later...
1920's USAS Instructor's wing

What makes it a USAS Instructor's wing?

Can anybody tell us where written documentation can be found to varify

that U. S. Army Air Service or Air Corps Instructors wore gold wings?

Just curious!

:whistling:

What makes it a USAS Instructor's wing?

Can anybody tell us where written documentation can be found to varify

that U. S. Army Air Service or Air Corps Instructors wore gold wings?

Just curious!

:whistling:

Somewhere, I have a photograph of a WWII vintage civilian pilot instructor from one of the contract flight schools wearing a wing similar to this one as a cap badge. I will try to find it some place.

Patrick

OK found one, but not the one I was looking for--but close enough. Hard to see in this photo, but he is wearing a similar wing as B17guy's as a cap badge.

post-1519-1297021148.jpg

Somewhere, I have a photograph of a WWII vintage civilian pilot instructor from one of the contract flight schools wearing a wing similar to this one as a cap badge. I will try to find it some place.

Patrick

OK found one, but not the one I was looking for--but close enough. Hard to see in this photo, but he is wearing a similar wing as B17guy's as a cap badge.

Thanks Patrick,

If anyone could pull it off you could. :thumbsup:

Based on what you said and the photograph you've provided, it would be true that USAAS and/or USAAC miltiary flight instructors never wore gold wings but some civilian instructor pilots under contract with the military to teach Army students how to fly did wear gold wings.

Glad you put that myth to rest.

Cliff

• 2 months later...

I thought that I would add something to this thread to bring it back to the top. These are two patches that I have held onto for a very long time. The Instructor showing his two students how to punch out the Nazi’s measures 5 ½”. The Red, White and Blue Air Corp patch I chased for years and finally caught up with it at the Dallas, TX gun show in the late 80’s or early 90’s. This patch came out of the Estate of the former Commanding General of Randolph Field and it measures 5 ¼”. Gregg

post-6237-1302136962.jpg

post-6237-1302137085.jpg

I thought that I would add something to this thread to bring it back to the top. These are two patches that I have held onto for a very long time. The Instructor showing his two students how to punch out the Nazi’s measures 5 ½”. The Red, White and Blue Air Corp patch I chased for years and finally caught up with it at the Dallas, TX gun show in the late 80’s or early 90’s. This patch came out of the Estate of the former Commanding General of Randolph Field and it measures 5 ¼”. Gregg

Terrific patches Mac! Thank you for posting.

John Cooper

Ok please educate me here.

The Air Corps (chenille) patch was used for..? As for the other patch was this used for a specific school\squadron...?

Thanks in advance!

John

• 1 month later...

REFERENCE POSTING #241:

16th AAF FLYING TRAINING DETACHMENT (CONTRACT FLYING SCHOOL, PRIMARY)

ECHEVERRIA FIELD, WICKENBURG, ARIZONA

Some time ago, a series of photos were posted to this thread depicting an interesting "Instructor" wing and associated insignia. This same set of insignia was recently offred for sale on eBay, and I was lucky enough to obtain the lot. I had not seen the previous postings on the folrum, so only had the fuzzy pictures on ebay to go by. I made a leap of faith and went for it. The package arrived Monday morning, and I was more than pleased when I opened it.

I an even more inpressed, now that I have it in hand. The Pictures on eBay were not the best. I thought it would be a standard Juarez pilot wing, with a design applied over the shield, Upon close examination this turned out not to be the case. If you will look close at the enlargement of the central shield, you can see where the letter “G” has been unsoldered and replace with an “I”. Under a 20 power glass you can see the modification was very professionally done. The collar insignia are also nice. The "C.F.A." is maker marked "ENTENMANN" one of the premier badge and insignia makers of the time.

post-14361-1305727083.jpg

post-14361-1305727200.jpg

Enlargemnet of central design:

post-14361-1305727284.jpg

Collar Insignia:

post-14361-1305727390.jpg

Two Inch Wing

post-14361-1305727464.jpg

Employee Uniform Insignia

post-14361-1305727523.jpg

rustywings
REFERENCE POSTING #241:

16th AAF FLYING TRAINING DETACHMENT (CONTRACT FLYING SCHOOL, PRIMARY)

ECHEVERRIA FIELD, WICKENBURG, ARIZONA

Some time ago, a series of photos were posted to this thread depicting an interesting "Instructor" wing and associated insignia. This same set of insignia was recently offred for sale on eBay, and I was lucky enough to obtain the lot. I had not seen the previous postings on the folrum, so only had the fuzzy pictures on ebay to go by. I made a leap of faith and went for it. The package arrived Monday morning, and I was more than pleased when I opened it.

I an even more inpressed, now that I have it in hand. The Pictures on eBay were not the best. I thought it would be a standard Juarez pilot wing, with a design applied over the shield, Upon close examination this turned out not to be the case. If you will look close at the enlargement of the central shield, you can see where the letter “G” has been unsoldered and replace with an “I”. Under a 20 power glass you can see the modification was very professionally done. The collar insignia are also nice. The "C.F.A." is maker marked "ENTENMANN" one of the premier badge and insignia makers of the time.

Terrific additions to an already incredible collection! Thanks for sharing with us John.

• 2 weeks later...
LuftStalg1

1920's Civilian Instructors wing?

My first new wing in years! Just picked this one up as it was to cheep to pass on and I have not bought a wing in years. That and I have been out bid on all my big stuff lately I needed a pick me up! :w00t:

I found it listed as #48 on page 22 of J. Duncan Campbell’s book identifying it being from the 20’s. It is gold plated and marked sterling so I would guess it is again one of the civilian instructor wings? At first glance the workmanship concerned me a little but it is die struck and a few quirks I spotted were identical to the black and white photo in Campbell’s book so I guess it is ok. And I figured with the cheep price it is not anything rare?

:think:

post-15093-1306852387.jpg

1920's Civilian Instructors wing REV.

post-15093-1306852441.jpg

LuftStalg1

Going over some old stuff and found a copy of this photo of three CPT in front of one of there planes with the insignia visible on the side. An old friend of the family brought me some stuff that belonged to his father and his wife’s father to put a couple of displays together for them back in 1998. His father had tired to join up but was turned down for some reason so he and his brother opened a flight school and started training pilots to do there part for the war effort. I can not find a copy of the write up I did and the photo is too small to read but with a little luck I will come across the hard copy I saved. Anyway, he had the original photo of his dad, center, and two other trainers as well as four collar pins and the one pilot wing. They all framed up rather nicely with the write up I did for him.

Oddly enough the hat badges the two have on is the other design not like the insignia on the side of the plane or for that matter the wing and collar insignia he had me frame up.

post-15093-1307151957.jpg

The framed set.

post-15093-1307151998.jpg

John Cooper

Thats a cool display did you put it together?

John

BTW the gold wing you posted earlier has been discussed and some think it a sweetheart wing but I am just not sold on that. There seems to be a few variations and then the gold version as you posted. I think Patrick as a photo of a women wearing one in a photo with a AAF guy.