CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

I thought that would be true also but the former owner decided to try clean a portion of it. The tarnish will return, and I wanted to get the silver polish off so the detail could be seen. So now what do you think of my other questions above??

Thanks,

Don

Wow! What a difference a little cleaning makes! Those first posted images of your "I" wing were deceiving. What I mistook as jeweler's solder and poor craftmanship, was indeed an accumulation of dried silver polish. Generally speaking, most collectors prefer to see the original patina on the wing rather than a shiny, tarnish-free polished look. But getting rid of that old dried polish really enhances the details of your unique wing.

rustywings

Here's the remaining photos of that "Georgia Air Service" contract flight school grouping listed on the previous page.

IMG_1159_crop.jpg

Embroidered cloth wings and shoulder patches worn by U.S. Army Contract Flight Instructors at "Georgia Air Service".

IMG_1157_crop.jpg

Georgia Air Service cloth wing.

IMG_1153_crop.jpg

rustywings

Last weekend I attended the West Coast Historical Militaria Collectors Show and found a few items I'd like to share. While searching a good friend's table looking for wings and patches, I found this 63rd AAFFTD (Army Air Force Flight Training Detachment) class book from the Raymond-Richardson Aviation Company, Douglas, Georgia. Seeing that the book was dated 1943, I bought it believing it might have one of the flying cadets pictured which are named on the large silver plated plaque I illustrated a couple of weeks ago on this thread. To my surprise, this class book contained photos of the first and second Honor Cadets inscribed on the plaque. This book adds some clarity and documentation to the silver honor plaque...and it's nice to put a name and face together.

IMG_1170_crop.jpg

The top of the silver plaque listing Honor Cadets "WILLIAM A. STROBLE" (Class 43-G) and "LEONARD P. CASH" (Class 43-H).

IMG_1127_crop.jpg

rustywings

Page inside the 63rd AAFFTD class book with some flight instructor wings and a patch from the Raymond-Richardson Contract Flight School.

IMG_1174.JPG

Flying Cadet "WILLIAM A. STROBLE" is pictured in the lower right corner.

IMG_1179_crop.jpg

Close up of William A. Stroble.

IMG_1180_crop.jpg

Flying Cadets from Class 43-H, with Honor Cadet "LEONARD P. CASH" pictured on the bottom row, second image.

IMG_1181_crop.jpg

Close up image of the flight school's second listed honor cadet, Leonard P. Cash.

IMG_1183_crop.jpg

Close up image of the flight school's second listed honor cadet, Leonard P. Cash.

Good stuff as always Russ.

P

rustywings

Sorry John, no picture of the plaque in the class book. That would have really been the cherry on top!

This pair of Southeast Training Command DI's came with the 63rd Contract Flight Instructor wings and patch grouping. I didn't think civilian personnel were entitled to wear AAF DI's, so I'm not sure why they were part of the grouping.

IMG_1187_crop.jpg

Close up of the Southeast Training Command DI's.

IMG_1184_crop.jpg

Back of the DI's. Hallmarked "Robbins Co. - Attleboro".

IMG_1185_crop.jpg

Sorry John, no picture of the plaque in the class book. That would have really been the cherry on top!

This pair of Southeast Training Command DI's came with the 63rd Contract Flight Instructor wings and patch grouping. I didn't think civilian personnel were entitled to wear AAF DI's, so I'm not sure why they were part of the grouping.

Hi Russ, If I recall correctly, by mid 1943, early 1944, most of the contract primary flight schools were begining to be co-opted and shut down as the military picked up the pace of its own training facilities. One of my flight instructor friends was commissioned by 1944, and started to fly the Hump in China. Imagine that, went from training flight cadets to flying gasoline over the Himylayas!

It is possible that your guy was commissioned into the military at some point and that is why he had the Southeast traninig DUI?

P

rustywings

Good point Patrick. You're probably correct.

I look at this page of 1943 Civilian Squadron Commanders and Contract Flight Instructors and only see a couple of photos of guys with that older rough and gruff appearance you would expect to see in an experienced instructor of flying. All of the others are so youthful in appearance...it's hard to believe they accomplished what they did!

IMG_1178.JPG

rustywings

Ann Ross was a CAA/WTS Flight Instructor in 1942 before she entered the WASP program and graduated with class 43-W7. This grouping was originally acquired directly from the female vet by a known collector who was primarily focused on putting together a complete set of WASP class wings. The War Training Service wings, collar insignia and cap piece are all inscribed with Ann Ross' name and WASP class number. I'm especially attracted to the unique Flight Instructor shoulder patch which is documented in the photo. Any information you might have regarding this patch would be greatly appreciated. Russ

IMG_1188.JPG

Back of Ann Ross' CAA-War Training Service wings and collar insignia.

IMG_1199_crop.jpg

Close-up of Ann Ross' CAA/WTS Flight Instructor wings.

IMG_1198_crop.jpg

Close-up of the Flight Instructor shoulder patch and CAA/WTS wings on her chest. Any idea which Contract Flight School this patch represents?

IMG_1190_crop.jpg

Three inch Flight Instructor shoulder patch and tab worn by Ann Ross in 1942.

IMG_1192_crop.jpg

Back of the Flight Instructor patch and tab.

IMG_1194_crop.jpg

John Cooper
Hi Russ, If I recall correctly, by mid 1943, early 1944, most of the contract primary flight schools were begining to be co-opted and shut down as the military picked up the pace of its own training facilities. One of my flight instructor friends was commissioned by 1944, and started to fly the Hump in China. Imagine that, went from training flight cadets to flying gasoline over the Himylayas!

It is possible that your guy was commissioned into the military at some point and that is why he had the Southeast traninig DUI?

P

Patrick & Russ - I hope to post some a CFI wing which came from an estate that also has a Service pilots wing as well... this ties in with the informatin you mentioned above.

BTW Russ - that is one super little group you have! I love the fact you have a period photo!!!! Great stuff as always!

John

Patrick & Russ - I hope to post some a CFI wing which came from an estate that also has a Service pilots wing as well... this ties in with the informatin you mentioned above.

BTW Russ - that is one super little group you have! I love the fact you have a period photo!!!! Great stuff as always!

John

Again, I have to keep saying-- outside of a museum, you are not likely to soon see wings and groupings as nice as these any time soon. John, I sure hope you and other people will post other stuff as well.

P

John Cooper

as requested..

I saw this and had to have it... as you can see from the photo is is an A.E. Co pattern in gold. The shield has been ground down to a smooth surface with C.F.I. engraved in the center. The reverse has B.W.L. as well... the initials are done rather crudely compared to those on the shield. As a side note the gold color is rather light in shade and bright when i compare it to some of my FS wings.

I hope you like them.

(edit) I forgot to add I missed out on a nice Service pilots wing and a flight instructors cap badge from the same estate.

Cheers

John

post-227-1274553869.jpg

post-227-1274553878.jpg

rustywings

John, your newly acquired "CFI" wing is a very nice addition to your collection and to this thread. Thanks for sharing it.

John Cooper

My pleasure Russ! I wonder with the information provided by Patrick and Paul IIRC how many of the instructors went on to serve as Service pilots later in the war...?

John

John Cooper

Russ - in post #27 you posted the two designs of the CAA wings. Was the indian head type the earlier pattern..?

Thanks

rustywings

John, the CAA/WTS Flight Instructor wing with the Wright Flyer profile is the earlier version of the two wings. Compared to the later Indian Head variation, I found it much more difficult to locate an authentic Wright Flyer example. Because the earlier version is considerably more scarce, expect to pay more. I've seen Wright Flyer examples sell for well over $700.00 on ebay. And, since they command such big money, be very leary of reproductions because they're out there in mass. In my opinion, these War Training Service badges are very desirable pieces of U.S. aviation history...and well worth the hunt!

IMG_0788_crop.jpg

John Cooper

Russ,

Thank you for the advice and the following which is just in. Without you I may never have obtain these two gems (both from the same estate)! I love the feathering details on the CPT wing and the added bonus of the POLARIS bracelet having the name of the pilot that earned them!!!

post-227-1275013323.jpg

Here is the reverse shot :)

post-227-1275013398.jpg

bmbrzmn101

OK guys, let me preface this with the image below is not mine, I found it on the internet. I do have a similar one recreated from an original that belonged to a mechanic who worked at Grider field during the war. Below is a link to the EAA chapter in Pine Bluff still flying the old warbirds out of Grider Field.

I kinda grew up playing with the warbirds there and flying in trainers(ie..PT-17, PT-19,BT-13,SNJ...)and went on to become an aircraft mechanic to boot with the help of some of my friends there.

On this web site are some photos from the training field and a grainy historical film(only one known to exist), narrated by the same mechanic who help train me an the same mechanic that worked on this field. It's nothing profound but very interesting to aviation buffs like me with it's ties to WW2 aviation. I am also partial to that field, planes, and people since I took my first small plane ride, aerobatics,and watched and flew with my dad from Grider while he was a pilot.

I hope you enjoy this info and if I can fill anything in let me know. I also hope I am not steeping on anyones toes by posting this in this thread. Thanks, Chris.

Grider.jpg

http://www.razorbackeaa.org/

http://www.razorbackeaa.org/school/index.html

rustywings
Russ,

Thank you for the advice and the following which is just in. Without you I may never have obtain these two gems (both from the same estate)! I love the feathering details on the CPT wing and the added bonus of the POLARIS bracelet having the name of the pilot that earned them!!!

CPT_POLARIS.jpg

John, nice CPT wings and Flying Cadet bracelet. With a little luck, I might be able to further identify the original owner of your bracelet if he's listed in one of the old Polaris Flight Academy classbooks I have. First the "CFI" gilt wing, now these two nice pieces...looks like you're hooked John!

Russ

John Cooper
John, nice CPT wings and Flying Cadet bracelet. With a little luck, I might be able to further identify the original owner of your bracelet if he's listed in one of the old Polaris Flight Academy classbooks I have. First the "CFI" gilt wing, now these two nice pieces...looks like you're hooked John!

Russ

Russ that would be super if you could dig up some info as I would love to see a photo!

...looks like you're hooked
:rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks

John

Last weekend I attended the West Coast Historical Militaria Collectors Show and found a few items I'd like to share. While searching a good friend's table looking for wings and patches, I found this 63rd AAFFTD (Army Air Force Flight Training Detachment) class book from the Raymond-Richardson Aviation Company, Douglas, Georgia. Seeing that the book was dated 1943, I bought it believing it might have one of the flying cadets pictured which are named on the large silver plated plaque I illustrated a couple of weeks ago on this thread. To my surprise, this class book contained photos of the first and second Honor Cadets inscribed on the plaque. This book adds some clarity and documentation to the silver honor plaque...and it's nice to put a name and face together.

Russ, you didn't mention what a great price you got on the Class book. This has to be one the best threads in the Wing Discussion section, I continue to come back to it. I hope that anyone interested in WWII goes through this thread, there is some great information and really rare items.

I agree, putting a face to the names is really something. Think of it, this is 67 years later. Russ, should I post that Instructor patch that we discussed? Thanks to all of those that have posted, Gregg

Russ, you didn't mention what a great price you got on the Class book. This has to be one the best threads in the Wing Discussion section, I continue to come back to it. I hope that anyone interested in WWII goes through this thread, there is some great information and really rare items.

I agree, putting a face to the names is really something. Think of it, this is 67 years later. Russ, should I post that Instructor patch that we discussed? Thanks to all of those that have posted, Gregg

Hello Gregg,

Please, post away!

Patrick

vintageproductions

Heck, if it came from "square deal" Gregg, it must have been a killer deal.

rustywings

Gregg,

The friend who sold me that classbook really is quite the gentleman...and I hold him in high esteem!

Gregg, I agree with Patrick...I think it would be terrific to see your pilot instructor patch, or anything else even remotely related to WWII Contract Flight Schools which you'd like to share with us. After Chris (AKA-bmbrzmn101) posted the nice image of the 312th AAFFTD-Crider Field Flight Instructor's jacket patch last week, I spoke with John Cooper to see if I would be rocking-the-boat if I posted additional related WWII flight school patches on this "wing" thread. Since the wings, insignia, photos and patches are all interrelated to the topic, our monitor sees no conflict in expanding the study. Maybe we can lure in more participation and flight school memorabilia by cross-referencing this thread with a link to the patch collectors section.

Blue skies,

Russ