CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

Wow! What a nice Kelly Field patch!  I especially like the way they incorporated the USAAF colors into the PT design! Thanks for posting...

And thank you Tod for posting the additional info on the Twenty-nine Palms Flight School. It's all worthy info... 

• 3 weeks later...

So I have had these for some time. Does anyone know what school they go to? 1.5" in diameter. 

Reminds me of the Chicago School of Aircraft Instruments Women's Aircraft Instrument Tech small round patches but they are of a different color. 

img20200829_20094319.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 9:04 AM, rathbonemuseum.com said:

Russ,

From this booklet posted online about Twentynine Palms Air Academy, who ran the school and the field, their wings and nomenclature had them using TAA. Take a look: https://www.yumpu.com/xx/document/read/56460726/6010-f-clampout-condor-field

Back to the Twenty Nine Palms...Yes, it was TAA. Here is a shirt that was on Ron Burkey's site that has since been sold. 

twenty nie palms.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This one has not been posted yet. 

Baer Field Engineer Depot Sub-Depot

Now Fort Wayne Air National Guard Base Indiana

img20201005_16193706.jpg

• 2 months later...
rathbonemuseum.com

A recent this nice leather patch with colors still bright. Interesting that text is written in wood burning tool!

9F907F27-43D8-4397-A69A-8FF77F4DABD0.jpeg

80A8038A-2096-4B69-9340-4CD79260DFA3.jpeg

• 2 months later...
ocsfollowme

a neat variation of the Embry Riddle School of Aviation to include inter-american cadet. 

I have one without the "Inter-American Cadet" 851966558_ScreenShot2021-03-08at4_14_02PM.png.859831379522a4ed781dae9d1b3cfaf5.png

• 1 month later...
5thwingmarty

I posted this on Chris' WWO post but thought they should go hear as well.  A nice legit 20's to 30's Meyer Metal pilot instructor type wing.

Meyer Metal front.JPG

Meyer Metal rear.JPG

rathbonemuseum.com
On 3/8/2021 at 7:20 PM, ocsfollowme said:

a neat variation of the Embry Riddle School of Aviation to include inter-american cadet. 

I have one without the "Inter-American Cadet" 851966558_ScreenShot2021-03-08at4_14_02PM.png.859831379522a4ed781dae9d1b3cfaf5.png

I wonder if this relates specifically to Cadets from Latin America? The use of the phrase "Inter-american" is oddly specific and not often found.

• 5 months later...

This one has me completely stumped. Has anyone seen this before and can you even find anything on the internet about it? I have come up empty after an hour searching. 

Aviation Training Incorporation

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.42.23 PM.png

On 10/8/2021 at 6:45 PM, ocsfollowme said:

This one has me completely stumped. Has anyone seen this before and can you even find anything on the internet about it? I have come up empty after an hour searching. 

Aviation Training Incorporation

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.42.23 PM.png

Steve, there’s a number of similarities between your mystery patch and several  known WWII era “Hancock College of Aeronautics” patch variations. 

The globe depicting the Western Hemisphere; the Eagle; and especially the three small stars, can be found on other Hancock patches and documents.

Nothing confirmed...just possible clues?

• 1 month later...

Picked this one up. 

PCM from Curtiss Wright Aeronautical University in Chicago, Illinois. 

What does PCM stand for? I have found about 6-7 aviation things it could be. Thanks in advance. IMG_0897.jpg.4c5a21ee55896ea05c4cd380d6124e40.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was at Williams for about 20 minutes last week and took this photo of one of the WWII hangars still in use. Always liked the RAF wing badge stylized hangars. There some in Macon GA too.

Jonn

20220216_143433.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 1:56 PM, militbuff said:

I picked this booklet (The Fledgling) up recently from ebay. Its from the 65th College Training Detachment (CTD) at Syracuse University. The Seneca Flying School around Syracuse was in charge of giving the men basic flight training. My dad spent a number of months as part of the 65th CTD until they booted him and 90% of the other cadets out because they needed more air crew members.

Has anyone ever seen a patch from the 65th CTD?

The attached SFS wings image shows the stamping die used by The Robbins Company to manufacture Seneca Flying School wings.  The die was made September 24, 1941.

1941 09 - O1130 - Seneca Flying School.JPG

• 5 months later...

A while back I picked up a little pin (about 1" in span) that had the letters CSAI across its base.  I suspected that the pin was from the Chicago School of Aircraft Instruments but could not prove it until now.  At the SOS a little grouping walked up to our table and presented itself to me (this is almost literally what happened) which now gives me the proof I needed, and now my little pin has joined the grouping. 

Hopefully I can add a patch or two and another booklet to the set for the Women Aircraft Instrument Technicians (WAIT) program from this school.

CSAI Grouping_resize.jpg

CSAI Pin_resize.jpg

• 1 month later...
ocsfollowme

Here are some new ones that just came in. 

I have NEVER seen another AAF * FTD Ocala Florida patch before. 

Here are three tabs, all hard to find, with the flight instructor being the most common. I am still wondering where these were used at. 

Untitled.jpg