CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

LuftStalg1
Thats a cool display did you put it together?

John

BTW the gold wing you posted earlier has been discussed and some think it a sweetheart wing but I am just not sold on that. There seems to be a few variations and then the gold version as you posted. I think Patrick as a photo of a women wearing one in a photo with a AAF guy.

Thanks John!

Yes sir, this was one I did in my hay day when I was running a website and wheeling and dealing back in the 90's.

A married couple my parents were friends with brought me items belonging to each of there fathers that had served in WW2 and asked me to put something together for them to hang on the wall in there home. Mr. Botsford’s father and uncle ran a pilot training school and he provided me with the photo, wing, 4 collar pins and some information and that is what I put together. Mrs. Botsford provided me with a photo of her father in the Army hospital holding his newly award open cased PH medal along with some foreign money, German trinkets, GI can opener and I framed all that up in a sort of 3D collage with a write up for him.

I saved a digital copy of the CAA photo and I think I have a hard copy of the write up I did. I need to find it so I can make another frame for ME using some of my extra stuff! One of many on my long list of to-do projects!

I love putting displays like this together even for other people. Small, portable, and educational for the average Joe/Jane Public! :)

P.S. Thanks for the comment on the Gold wing. It was cheep enough anyway.

Mark

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Here is an interesting War Training Service wing I picked up last spring from Ron.

Best, John

Nice WTS wing my friend!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Picked this group up Friday afternoon.

That's a really nice grouping of Flight Instructor patch! Thank you for posting.

• 1 month later...
I know he will be humble and deny it, but Russ is like a super-rock star of wing collectors.

Here is another wing in the vein of gilt-colored instructor wings from Cal Aero. The center rondel is the same as what is found on the cap badges, just added to a gilt observer wing.

Please see my post in the engraved wings thread (<- this is a link). I am the grandson of C.C. Moseley, the founder of Cal Aero and the other CPT schools.

Please see my post in the engraved wings thread (

Hello Bob and welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to post the photograph of your grandfather on this thread instead of the "Engraved Wings" thread. Since C.C. Moseley played such a significant role in the early developement of the Contract Flight School system in WWII, any images or information you'd like to share about the man would fit nicely within this thread.

Russ

PILOT INSTRUCTOR WING - GREENVILLE AVIATION SCHOOL

Attended a small military show in the Kansas City area last Sunday, and came home with a nice wing for my AAF Contract Flying School collection. The wing is from the Greenville Aviation School, Taylor Field, Ocala, Florida (57th AAF Flying Training Detachment).

It is a 3 inch sterling instructors wing with an applied disc. The wing is marked BB&BCo / STERLING. As you can imagine, a most welcome addition to my collection.

post-14361-1332995070.jpg

post-14361-1332995113.jpg

PILOT INSTRUCTOR WING - CAA WAR TRAINING SERVICE

Been meaning to post this one for some time. At the SOS in February, obtained a nice variety of the CAA War Training Service Pilot Instructor Wing. Wing is of two-piece construction, with an applied custom die struck disc applied to a standard AAF Observer's wing.

post-14361-1332995411.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In early 1944, Class 44-C at Cal Aero Flight Academy was one of the first groups to conduct "Primary" training using BT-13's instead of PT-Stearmans. (Note their Civilian Flight Instructors in the front row.)

IMG_3534_crop.jpg

Here's a photograph copied from a Cal Aero Flight Academy classbook depicting Squadron Four - Class 44C with Contract Flight Instructor C. L. Milhiser and his five assigned Flying Cadets standing in front of a BT-13.

IMG_3532_crop.jpg

Gilt colored Flight Instructor's wings presented to Mr. C. L. Milhiser.

IMG_3533_crop.jpg

Presentation inscription on the back of C.L. Milhisner's Flight Instructor's wing. He worked at Cal Aero Flight Academy from 1942 thru 1944. Major C.C. Moseley owned and operated Cal Aero, Mira Loma and Polaris Flight Academies.

IMG_3531_crop.jpg

Two uniform coats which belonged to Contract Flight Instructor C.L. Milhiser. Winter and summer dress wear. Note the buttons are plain brown leather as required in the rules of heraldry for civilian attire.

IMG_3546_crop.jpg

Two different styles of gilt wings.

IMG_3545_crop.jpg

Identical "C.F.S." (Contract Flight School) patches on both coats.

IMG_3539_crop.jpg

Gilt colored Flight Instructor's wings presented to Mr. C. L. Milhiser.

Hi Russ,

Thank you for those wonderful pictures of the gilt colored civilian Flight Instructor wing badge seen in post 479 and 480. The badge in those two pictures plus the two badges attached to the two uniforms seen in post 481 and 482 pretty much confirm (for me) that it was USAAC/USAAF civilian contract pilots who were permitted to wear gold gilt pilot badges rather than Regular Army and/or Army Reserve Officer instructors. . . who (I think) because of War Department regulations were only permitted to wear Sterling Silver wings.

I have a question for you. The gilt colored wings seen attached to the summer weight uniform on post 481, 482. . . and below, appear to have been struck from an old die that was originally made by Wm. Link Co. back in the 1920s. Does that badge have clutch-back or pin-back fasteners, and does it have a trademark on the back?

Cliff

post-4542-0-81086400-1361120158.jpg

They certainly appear to be from the Link stable. They're an unmarked die-struck brass badge with applied gold wash and "C" style catch. Do you think they were produced in the early 1940's using an old Link die? Or could they have been produced in the 1920's and sold as new-old stock in the late 30's and early 40's?

IMG_3553_crop.jpg

Reverse of gilt colored badge.

IMG_3555_crop.jpg

Close up of the shield.

IMG_3548_crop.jpg

They certainly appear to be from the Link stable. They're an unmarked die-struck brass badge with applied gold wash and "C" style catch. Do you think they were produced in the early 1940's using an old Link die? Or could they have been produced in the 1920's and sold as new-old stock in the late 30's and early 40's?

Thank you Russ,

Oh yes, they were produced during the first half of our (USA) involvement in WW2 using the old die. I'm currently trying to obtain an identical badge with a silver finish and snowflake pattern on the back that was given to a B-17 pilot when he graduate from flying school in the first half of 1943. It has clutch-back fasteners and is what prompted my inquiry.

Cheers,

Cliff

Near identical Pilot badges, but one in gold wash and the other silver wash.

IMG_3547_crop.jpg

Neither badge is marked...with near identical findings.

IMG_3557_crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a different take on instructors for the war effort. This patch and overseas cap is from the Frye Aircraft Company founded by Don Frye. FAC helped train the army of people needed to boost wartime production of aircraft. The Frye schools were scattered all over the West. The patch is large (7 inches across) and was worn on the back of coveralls.

post-4502-0-22360900-1365310715.jpg

A circa 1940-1941 image of the patch being worn by students:

post-4502-0-59905900-1365310913.jpg

And a circa 1940-41 photo of the cap. It looks very much like the early aviator cadet caps on page 302 of More Silver Wings Pinks and Greens (far left example).

post-4502-0-66774100-1365311193.jpg

• 3 months later...

John, you've posted some extremely rare SWA wings, patches and insignia. Thank you for sharing the great images and valuable information. Attached is an image of a period magazine advertisement supporting your comments.

Just came across this ad as well, from a 1943 issue of Flying.

John

post-12439-0-49831500-1374419551.jpg

On 2/17/2013 at 1:18 PM, CliffP said:

Thank you Russ,

Oh yes, they were produced during the first half of our (USA) involvement in WW2 using the old die. I'm currently trying to obtain an identical badge with a silver finish and snowflake pattern on the back that was given to a B-17 pilot when he graduate from flying school in the first half of 1943. It has clutch-back fasteners and is what prompted my inquiry.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff, I believe this is the wing type in question, using the Link die.

Belonged to R.C. Twyman, killed during WWII.

John

post-12439-0-69944800-1374421609.jpg

Back

post-12439-0-96925400-1374421700.jpg

LATEST FIND - An unusual Air Corps Military Police Badge

Out antiquing today and picked up the badge in attached pictures. It fits into my area of interest, as I believe it is from a pre-1942 Air Corps Training Unit. The major inscription is: A.C.P.F.S. In my opinion I think the initials stand for: AIR CORPS PRE-FLIGHT SCHOOL

In Googling the net I find no direct reference to an ACPFS. I solicit your thoughts and comments on a definitive ID on the badges, i.e. when and where did the school exist, its background and history, etc.

post-14361-0-39350800-1374607976.jpg

post-14361-0-86779800-1374608006.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...