CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

WWII era CATC (Central Aviation Transport Corporation) and CNAC (Chinese National Aviation Corporation) Pilot badges worn by recruited American Pilots.

IMG_5157.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
deadpeoplesjunk

Can't find anything on these wings,anyone have any info on us flying services or where they operated out of? I swear I saw a patch somewhere on this forum or in a collection some time ago from this outfit. maybe contract training school? They seem to be applied to an H&H Observer base! Just got them at the flea this morning. And I didn't have to make an offer, his price was well below what my first offer would have been.I'll try to get some better pics, and, yes, my pics suck but they are diestruck and pretty grubby.lol

post-4108-0-69292900-1420404936.jpg

Have no record of where or when U.S. Flying Service existed, but I believe it was during WW2 and the school was one of the participant in the CPTP / CCC-WTS. Patch picture attached.

post-14361-0-45905100-1420437789.jpg

deadpeoplesjunk

Thanks, Cookieman, I knew I saw that patch before, never had seen the wings, I have had a pair of h&h pilots before, but never an observer, never knew they made one. I have had a few wings over the years that were modified by small outfits, but usually on a wing that was no big deal. I'm gonna sit tight on these at least till I see if there is anything else gonna show up that may constitute a group or maybe even give me a clue to where this outfit was located.or even maybe who these wings belonged to.

deadpeoplesjunk

Thanks Garth, I thought about reposting but had already posted it here, gonna have to look at the categories a little better next time before I post..

deadpeoplesjunk

Pfrost, I found that pic on here right after I posted this! Thanks for the link though. I was gonna say you could have saved me a lot of time but I enjoyed seeing all the stuff that was posted in that section so much I'd have hated to miss it now! lol.

deadpeoplesjunk

Ram, that ad seems to be from big spring texas, a good lead. I also read that in one of Ann Ross's obits that she was a flight instructor based at the Minot SD airport before she became a wasp, so if she worked for them at some point it gives me another direction to search also.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my humble contribution to an amazing and very educational thread: a small group to a Civilian Instructor at Helena Aero Tech, stationed at Thompson-Robbins Airfield. The program was operated 1941-1944.

post-9214-0-85235400-1422491775.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
deadpeoplesjunk

I thought I had one, gonna have to take another. its applique on an army observer wing, brass enameled disc.front has a little wear, but no enamel chipping. I'll try to take some good pics of the edge tomorrow when the sun is out and post.