CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

More great additions and I love the photos of them in wear! Is the maker of the Cal Aero, Mira Loma and Polaris Flight School badges known?

John

Thank you for your kind comments. John, the solid-back cap pieces are hallmarked "ENTENMANN - STERLING". The Entenmann - Rovin Company was established in Los Angeles in 1888. They are still in business today and produce police and fire badges. Here's a close up photo of the hallmark. It's difficult to see with the heavy tarnish.

IMG_1365_crop.jpg

John Cooper

Thanks for the extra details Russ. The bottom three badges appear to be very think and heavy (quality badges)! Looks like Entenmann's currently makes some very nice badges and wings too!

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...
John Cooper

Here is a recent pickup - it looks good to me based on those already posted but I am open it all opinions.

Cheers

post-227-1278277506.jpg

Here is a recent pickup - it looks good to me based on those already posted but I am open it all opinions.

Cheers

instructor.jpg

Nice looking Flight Instructor's wings John!.

Here's a WWII era identification bracelet for Flight Instructor R.L. Smithy.

IMG_1423_crop.jpg

A closer view. The silver pilot wing is riveted to the gold plate. The words "U.S. Army Air Corps" are inscribed at the bottom.

IMG_1420_crop.jpg

The back of the wings are inscribed with the instructor's name "R.L. Smithy". The hallmark reads "FORESTNER - 1/20TH 12 KT G. F. - STERLING EMBLEM"

IMG_1426_crop.jpg

John Cooper

Russ that is a beauty of a bracelet! I love the rivited wings and the quality. Any backround on the instructor from your references?

John

Here's the hallmark on the back of the flight instructor's bracelet. Sorry John, I have nothing more on the instructor himself.

IMG_1426_CROP_crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this thread... it's now one of my favorites. The material is seldom seen, the photos are excellent. Thanks to all the contibutors and especially to Russ and Patrick. It takes time and effort to make these great photos and posts... much appreciated!

I have a bullion instrutor's sleeve badge that I didn't see so here it is. Any comments are very much appreciated!

When was it appropriate to wear the sleeve badge?

Adam Lewis

post-2607-1279908495.jpg

I just read this thread... it's now one of my favorites. The material is seldom seen, the photos are excellent. Thanks to all the contibutors and especially to Russ and Patrick. It takes time and effort to make these great photos and posts... much appreciated!

Adam Lewis

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your nice Flight Instructor contribution and kind words. What I like about these WWII era Instructor's sleeve insignia is the wide variety of sizes, materials and designs out there. I hope we can keep the ball rolling and lure more collectors to post their variations. Here's a couple of images of a recent ebay purchase. This example has been applied to a metal plate with clutches for easy removal from the right sleeve for cleaning.

Russ

IMG_1466_crop.jpg

This Flight Instructor example is much lager than the ones illustrated on page #10, post #184, of this thread. This badge is more than 2 & 3/4 inches in width.

IMG_1473_crop.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
rustywings said:
Brayton Flight School cap badge.

REF POST #8: This badge has been misidentified ever since it was published in one of Bender's Publications quite a few years ago. It is actually from Buck's Flying Service, Lovell Field, Chattanooga, Tennessee. Extensive research has revealed no relationship between this badge and Brayton Flying Service. Buck's FS was one of hundreds of civilian flying schools that supported the CAA War Training Service. In my next few posts will add pix of additional insignia from Buck's.

post-14361-1282701250.jpg

REF POST #8 - Buck's Flying Service - Cloth Cap Badge for Flight Cap

post-14361-1282701430.jpg

REF POST #8 - Buck's Flying Service - Cloth Uniform Collar / Lapel Insignia

post-14361-1282701558.jpg

REF POST #8 - Buck's Flying Service - Cloth Instructor Pilot Wing

post-14361-1282701796.jpg

rustywings said:
Polaris Flight Academy, War Eagle Field, Squadron 13, Flight Instructor's five inch jacket patch.

Polaris Flight Academy, War Eagle Field, Squadron 14, 5" Flight Jacket Insignia

post-14361-1282702223.jpg

Very intesting update along with some fantastic items as well! Did BFS had graduation books as well? I ask becuase it is always a treat to see period photos.

BTW Welcome to the forum I know you bring a wealth of information to the table.

Regards,

John

rustywings said:
Here's a full-size variation of the Darr Aero Tech Flight Instructor's wing. (DAT was located in Albany, Georgia).

REF POST #66 - Darr Aero Tech Pilot Wing - RUSS, positive this particulary wing is a Post-WW2 Wing from one of the nine USAF Contract Flying Schools in the 1950's. Notice the design is the same as your Bainbridge Wing. Several of these USAF CFS's used the same design wing.

The 3306th Pilot Training Squadron (Contract Primary) was activated at Marana Air Base, Marana, Arizona on 1 September 1951. On 27 June 1952 the unit was redsignated 3306th Pilot Training Squadron (Contract Primary). The school was once again redesinated on 25 April 1955 as the 3306th Pilot Training Group (Contract Primary). The school was inactivated on 2 September 1957. Anyway you look at, a scarce wing.

Very intesting update along with some fantastic items as well! Did BFS had graduation books as well? I ask becuase it is always a treat to see period photos.

BTW Welcome to the forum I know you bring a wealth of information to the table.

Regards,

John

HI JOHN, Thanks for the welcome, for some reason had a terrible time getting accepted to play on the forum. Hopefully I can add some well reasoned thoughts to the fray.

To answer your question, have never seen a class book from one of the CPTP / WTS classes. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, the course duration was fairly short, compared to the military schools. Secondly, most of the classes were split between two entities. Usually academics were taught by an educational institution, while the flying portion was conducted by one of the civilian flying services / schools.

Have read through all the posts on this subject, plan on adding some comments and quite a few pictures when I get th chance. With what I have seen so far, looks like Russ and I are about 90% common in our collections.

HI JOHN, Thanks for the welcome, for some reason had a terrible time getting accepted to play on the forum. Hopefully I can add some well reasoned thoughts to the fray.

To answer your question, have never seen a class book from one of the CPTP / WTS classes. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, the course duration was fairly short, compared to the military schools. Secondly, most of the classes were split between two entities. Usually academics were taught by an educational institution, while the flying portion was conducted by one of the civilian flying services / schools.

Have read through all the posts on this subject, plan on adding some comments and quite a few pictures when I get th chance. With what I have seen so far, looks like Russ and I are about 90% common in our collections.

Well if you have any more issues now that your here let me know. As for the commonality between your collection and that of Russ's don't let that stop you from posting ;)

John

COOKIEMAN said:
REF POST #66 - Darr Aero Tech Pilot Wing - RUSS, positive this particulary wing is a Post-WW2 Wing from one of the nine USAF Contract Flying Schools in the 1950's. Notice the design is the same as your Bainbridge Wing. Several of these USAF CFS's used the same design wing.

The 3306th Pilot Training Squadron (Contract Primary) was activated at Marana Air Base, Marana, Arizona on 1 September 1951. On 27 June 1952 the unit was redsignated 3306th Pilot Training Squadron (Contract Primary). The school was once again redesinated on 25 April 1955 as the 3306th Pilot Training Group (Contract Primary). The school was inactivated on 2 September 1957. Anyway you look at, a scarce wing.

Hello John (Cookieman) and welcome to the Forum. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and collection with us. Having you on board will be a real asset to this thread. Man, that War Eagle Field - Squadron 14 patch is sure a rare patch! I've looked for twenty years and have never seen another. And your Buck Flying Service cloth instructor wings with matching collar insignia is absolutely top-shelf stuff! As John Cooper mentioned, please post away!

Blue skies,

Russ

66th AAF FLYING TRAINING DETACHMENT (CONTRACT FLYING SCHOOL)

2164th AAF BASE UNIT (CONTRACT PILOT SCHOOL, BASIC)

DIVISION of AERONAUTICS, TUSKEGEE INSTITUTE

KENNEDY FIELD, TUSKEGEE, ALABAMA

One of the roughest contract flying school patches to find, and very expensive when one does turn up. From data I have found, period of operation was 19 July 1941 - 31 December 1945

post-14361-1282947406.jpg

CIVILIAN FLIGHT INSTURCTOR (Cap or Collar Device)

Unattributed to a specific AAF Unit / School or Location

Some civilian, non-militaria collector on eBay sure lucked out last week. They posted an item on eBay I had been looking for since 1997. It is the interesting Civilian Flight Instructor insignia depicted below. Being scrw back, I am not sure it it is a cap insigina or a collar device. Either way it is an interesting item.

Back to the eBay story. The bidding was very aggressive, and I thought I had it bagged, until out bid at the final moments of the auction. Oh, well, maybe next time. Then the next day, received a "second Chance" offer from the vendor and immediately purchased it. See the result in the attached picture.

The rest of the story follows in my next posting

post-14361-1283180079.jpg

I collect class books from the Texas flying fields. Most of my collection has been posted on

www.aafcollection.info

You can look at the books there to see many of these insignia. You will also see P.T. Pete from Stamford and the Gremlins from Hicks Field.

CIVILIAN FLIGHT INSTURCTOR (Wings)

Unattributed to a specific AAF Unit / School or Location

Now for the rest of the story. I purchased the wings depicted below back in 1997 at a small show in Kansas City. Since that time I have been looking for the matching collar device / cap insignia. You can imagine my joy when finally uniting the two pieces.

Some thought on the date of the wing. The US Aircraft marking in the center of the insignia was adopted in May 1942. The insturctor wings (withouht center insignia) was promulgate in C-14 to Army Regulation 600-35, on 6 March 1943.

If anybody has any thoughts or ideas as to which unit / school / organization used these insignia, I would be appreciative.

post-14361-1283181185.jpg

John, these items you're posting are terrific additions! I doubt most advanced patch collectors have ever seen a Tuskegee Contract Flight Instructor patch. Thanks for the treat.

Regarding your silver and enamel Civilian Flight Instructor pin, it looks a little small to be worn on any cap other than an overseas style cap. The screw-back attachment sure makes for a strong argument that it was designed specific for that purpose. A very unique insignia!

Russ

I just had to chime in here those wing in post #360 and SWEET! (edit) Hold the phone I just remembered Patrick Frost has a similar wing... here is the reposted photo. (I hope patrick does no mind)

post-1519-1259363336.jpg

Here is another thread about the cadet type wings.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=60289&hl=

Cheers!

John

• 3 weeks later...

Lamp of Knowledge wing.

Here is another set of photos of one of my old oddball wings. I have not seen another like it. It is die-struck two piece wing with the lamp being applied to the typical three inch instructor’s wing. It is only marked “Sterling”. I sold this one a few years back.

Mark

post-15093-1284915440.jpg

post-15093-1284915465.jpg

post-15093-1284915475.jpg

post-15093-1284915484.jpg