CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

Patrick,

Regarding your Flight Instructor grouping from Hancock College Of Aeronautics, you might be interested in these couple of paragraphs copied from the book "Two Hundred Thousand Flyers" describing the owner of the school. Captain Allan Hancock had keen preception about producing quality pilots for the Army Air Corps, even before the War started.

IMG_0846_crop.jpg

Here's the Hancock College Of Aeronautics Flight Instructor's patch. (Note the CAA eagle head incorporated into the patch).

IMG_0848_crop.jpg

Again from the book "Two Hundred Thousand Flyers", here's a couple of paragraphs describing Pacific Air School.

IMG_0843_crop.jpg

Here's a cropped down studio portrait of an unknown Contract Flight Instructor wearing a double-breasted uniform with standard CAA "eagle" wings and cap piece.

IMG_0841_crop.jpg

Several Contract Flight Schools included the CAA eagle-style cap piece design in their shoulder patches. The 63rd FTD (Flight Training Detachment) was owned and operated by the Raymond-Richardson Aviation Company. The other patch represents Southeastern Air Service, AAFCPS (Army Air Forces Contract Pilot School).

IMG_0869_crop.jpg

CAA Contract Flight School patches for Lodwick Aviation Military Academy, near Avon Park, Florida...and Lodwick School Of Aeronautics, near Lakeland, Florida.

IMG_0872_crop.jpg

Patches worn by Contract Flight Instructors at Rankin Aeronautical, near Tulare, California.

IMG_0863_crop.jpg

Small wings for "AU" (Air University). I know nothing about this flight school. Can anyone help with additional info?

IMG_0858_crop.jpg

Corresponding "Instructors" patch for Air University. I believe the initials "AAFTD" stand for Army Air Forces Training Detachment.

IMG_0874_crop.jpg

Hey Russ,

Love those patches. Russ and I actually became acquainted with each other's interest in instructor and flight school collectables because we were always bidding against each other on ebay. For awhile there, Russ was rather vexing in my collecting efforts ;) on ebay. heh.

Here is one that I don't know anything about. I suspect is is for a flight school (the "FS" part) but have no clue as to which one. The wing itself is rather light and delicate, with what may very well be post war clutch back pins. Still, I like it for its very nice pattern.

post-1519-1270483565.jpg

I could use your help in comfirming the identity of these two wings. Years ago a fellow collector told me the initials "A-C-P" stood for Army Contract Pilot. That might be correct...but I've never seen any documentation or photos to support it. The full size wing and the matching lapel wing are both very well made...and definitely early war vintage.

IMG_0880_crop.jpg

Back of the larger A-C-P wing. Marked "Pat. Pend." and "Sterling". It also has a "Gordon B. Miller & Sons" hallmark.

IMG_0884_crop.jpg

Now here's the same style wing as listed above, minus the red meatball and the initials A-C-P. Could this be a later version of the same wing badge?

IMG_0887_crop.jpg

An image comparing both wings. They measure 2 5/8 inches wide.

IMG_0888_crop.jpg

Comparing the backs of both wings.

IMG_0891.JPG

Small wing from Sheppard Field, Texas. (Note the AAF Training DI design incorporated into the center of the wing).

The other "CPT" wing is from Pioneer Flying Service.

IMG_0895_crop.jpg

Contract Flight Instructor wings from the 313th Army Air Force Flight Training Detachment, Hunter Flying Service - Victory Field, Texas.

IMG_0897_crop.jpg

Back of the Hunter Flying Service Instructor's wings. Hallmarked "Hickok - USA."

IMG_0899_crop.jpg

Flight School Commander's wing from Darr Aero Tech (DAT) Contract Flight School, Albany, Georgia. (The matching Flight Instructor wing is illustrated in post #32 of this thread).

IMG_0902_crop.jpg

Back of the Darr Aero Tech Commander's wing. Sterling marked, but no hallmark.

IMG_0904_crop.jpg

Here's a full-size variation of the Darr Aero Tech Flight Instructor's wing. (DAT was located in Albany, Georgia).

IMG_0907_crop.jpg

Back of the DAT Contract Flight Instructor's wing. Pin-back and unmarked.

IMG_0909_crop.jpg

WWII era lapel pin for Darr Aero Tech.

IMG_0856_crop.jpg

WWII era lapel pin for Souther Field, near Americus, Georgia. They trained both AAF and RAF flying cadets at this school.

IMG_0854_crop.jpg

How the heck did I miss this tread! It made me all "drooley" :jeal0001:

I love the training stuff, being a former high school teacher.

Here is my contribution, possibly one of a kind custom made Instructor wings a cap badge:

post-182-1270664115.jpg

post-182-1270664125.jpg

Both of these came from the estate of an instructor, I also have his standard CAA wings and cap badge:

post-182-1270664251.jpg

Paul

The Hunter Flying Service wing is an interesting fellow. I have both the pin back and a tie clasp version (shown here). It is not an especially rare wing, all things considered. According to what I heard a number of years ago at one of the Great Western Gun shows, a large number of these wings in the tie clasp version became available as NOS. At the time, no one really knew what they were, and the general consensus amongst the dealers (as I was told) was that these were sweetheart or patriotic jewelry and were sold relatively cheaply. For some time, these wings were supposedly readily available (I know I got a couple off of eBay for about 35$ around that time). Then, when the Pinks and Green's book was published and these were ID'd as being instructor wings for Hunter Flying Service, they rapidly disappeared from the scene (and the prices kicked way up).

The pin back and tie clasp versions are identical, except for the attachment method. Recently, I picked up another wing that has the Hunter Flying Service wing as a base but with a Liberty Bell. Not sure what this is, but I suspect it is either another flying school or some sort of patriotic jewelry. Until I learn different, I am going to assume it is a flight instructor related item (maybe for Liberty Field or related?).

post-1519-1270690574.jpg

How the heck did I miss this tread! It made me all "drooley" :jeal0001:

I love the training stuff, being a former high school teacher.

Here is my contribution, possibly one of a kind custom made Instructor wings a cap badge:

wtscustom.jpg

caahat2.jpg

Both of these came from the estate of an instructor, I also have his standard CAA wings and cap badge:

caawts.jpg

Paul

Paul,

That's a terrific set War Training Service badges! Do you by chance know at which flight school he instructed?

Russ

Collector Greg

Here is my S wing. This was for an Instructor pilot that flew for Shaw Aircraft Company out of Iowa City during WWII. I got this one from his Grandson.

post-10890-1270789468.jpg

Here are some cloth wings that likely have a relationship to the flight schools in some way or the other.

The first one is likely a wing worn by a staff member at this school. I assume it was a technical school for mechanics and the like. I had a small group to a WWII aircrewman and he seemed to have been attending this (or a similar) school after he graduated from high school, but then went into he USAAF when the war started.

post-1519-1270821151.jpg

The next series of wings are unknown. I have seen a variety of vintage photos in which civilian staff are seen wearing wings like these.

post-1519-1270821377.jpg

another.

post-1519-1270821841.jpg

This is likely a WTS or CPT instructor wing. It shows up in a variety of color schemes.

post-1519-1270821898.jpg

This is another favorite of mine.

It is likely a patch that was worn by civilian staff at the NAS Corpus Christi base. On one of the other threads somewhere on this forum are some excellent photos of women war workers wearing this patch while working on airplanes. They seem to have been involved in training and perhaps maintenance.

Patrick

post-1519-1270822324.jpg

These are a couple of photos borrowed from another thread showing the above patch being worn by women personnel.

post-1519-1270830890.jpg

post-1519-1270830906.jpg

Here is my S wing. This was for an Instructor pilot that flew for Shaw Aircraft Company out of Iowa City during WWII. I got this one from his Grandson.

Greg, those are nice flight instructor wings! I looked up Shaw Aircraft Company on the internet and found a site describing their efforts to train pilots during the war through a CAA/CPT government contract. According to "Iowa City Airport History - by Jay and Mary Honeck", Shaw's School had 41 aircraft, 22 flight instructors and 4 flight supervisors who trained over 2,500 pilots for the U.S. Army Air Corps between 1939 and 1944. Shaw's school provided the hands-on flight training and the University of Iowa's College of Engineering provided the ground school for those cadets. Interesting stuff...

Russ