CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools - Reference Thread

During WWII, the A.H. Dondero Company made these Chinese Pilot wings in both pin-back and clutch-back. The pin-back is part of a Chinese Pilot grouping. I bought the clutch-back variation on ebay about seven or eight years ago. Here's a couple of images of both.

Someone I know recently got a pair of the Chinese wings with the Dondero hallmark. They came with a pair of wings made in China by NDC: these though are stewardess wings for the Chinese airlines CATC - Central Air Transport Corporation. I know that even through Vietnsm War there were "civilian" airlines that fronted for military operations and CNAC did that in China, but did CATC do that?

donderowings.jpg

catcwings.jpg

Bob, thanks for posting the two interesting wings.

It's my understanding the Chinese wings by Dondero were made for presentation to Chinese Flying Cadets upon graduation from one of several Contract Flight Schools here in the United States.

Regarding the CATC badge: In February 1931, "Eurasia Airlines" was established as a joint venture between the Chinese National Government and Germany's Lufthansa Airlines. After the start of WWII, Germany forfeited its share of Eurasia Airlines.

In March 1943, Eurasia Airlines was reorganized as CATC (Central Aviation Transport Corporation) and the Chinese National Government actively recruited AVG, AAF and ATC Pilots to fill their need for trained flight personnel as they had with CNAC (Chinese National Aviation Corporation).

Many American Pilots continued to fly for CATC and CNAC well after the end of the war. However, on November 9, 1949, during the Communist Revolt, the general managers of both CATC and CNAC threw their support behind Communist ideals which effectively ended US Pilot involvement in both organizations.

Here's a full size WWII era CATC Pilot wing and cap badge made by the "Russell Uniform Company, New York, N.Y."

IMG_5154.JPG

Hallmarked CATC Pilot wing.

IMG_5156.JPG

WWII era CATC (Central Aviation Transport Corporation) and CNAC (Chinese National Aviation Corporation) Pilot badges worn by recruited American Pilots.

IMG_5157.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
deadpeoplesjunk

Can't find anything on these wings,anyone have any info on us flying services or where they operated out of? I swear I saw a patch somewhere on this forum or in a collection some time ago from this outfit. maybe contract training school? They seem to be applied to an H&H Observer base! Just got them at the flea this morning. And I didn't have to make an offer, his price was well below what my first offer would have been.I'll try to get some better pics, and, yes, my pics suck but they are diestruck and pretty grubby.lol

post-4108-0-69292900-1420404936.jpg

Have no record of where or when U.S. Flying Service existed, but I believe it was during WW2 and the school was one of the participant in the CPTP / CCC-WTS. Patch picture attached.

post-14361-0-45905100-1420437789.jpg

deadpeoplesjunk

Thanks, Cookieman, I knew I saw that patch before, never had seen the wings, I have had a pair of h&h pilots before, but never an observer, never knew they made one. I have had a few wings over the years that were modified by small outfits, but usually on a wing that was no big deal. I'm gonna sit tight on these at least till I see if there is anything else gonna show up that may constitute a group or maybe even give me a clue to where this outfit was located.or even maybe who these wings belonged to.

deadpeoplesjunk

Thanks Garth, I thought about reposting but had already posted it here, gonna have to look at the categories a little better next time before I post..

deadpeoplesjunk

Pfrost, I found that pic on here right after I posted this! Thanks for the link though. I was gonna say you could have saved me a lot of time but I enjoyed seeing all the stuff that was posted in that section so much I'd have hated to miss it now! lol.

deadpeoplesjunk

Ram, that ad seems to be from big spring texas, a good lead. I also read that in one of Ann Ross's obits that she was a flight instructor based at the Minot SD airport before she became a wasp, so if she worked for them at some point it gives me another direction to search also.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my humble contribution to an amazing and very educational thread: a small group to a Civilian Instructor at Helena Aero Tech, stationed at Thompson-Robbins Airfield. The program was operated 1941-1944.

post-9214-0-85235400-1422491775.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
deadpeoplesjunk

heres a few more pics

post-4108-0-92093500-1424721210.jpg

back

post-4108-0-16510000-1424721260.jpg

h&h mark

post-4108-0-16554200-1424721307.jpg

sterling

post-4108-0-74113800-1424721348.jpg

another

post-4108-0-05465600-1424721389.jpg

even though they appear hollow, they are pretty heavy.

deadpeoplesjunk

I thought I had one, gonna have to take another. its applique on an army observer wing, brass enameled disc.front has a little wear, but no enamel chipping. I'll try to take some good pics of the edge tomorrow when the sun is out and post.

deadpeoplesjunk

heres the bottom

post-4108-0-24172100-1424815480.jpg

heres the top

post-4108-0-56288700-1424815583.jpg

Like I had said [i think I said anyway lol] they are applique. The wing is a standard aaf observer and the disc seems to be soldered on top. I imagine this was a small flight school or maybe even just an airfield probably civilian. I still haven't figured out where but I think it may have been in Big Spring Texas.There were a at least a few civilian airfields that repurposed military wings that I know of, though I am far from the final word in this field. I have no qualms at all about this piece, though I am always open to opinions. I'd like to see if someone has another, I'm sure there were more than one of almost any wing from a school.

Nothing wrong with those wings. I've never seen another. The other two big collectors of flight instructor/flight school wings would be Russ and Cookieman. Russ has a very nice grouping of a woman pilot wearing a similar patch. I suspect if he had a mate to your wing, he would have posted it already.

Some background, during the mid 1930's there was a large push from the FDR administration to spur commercial and civilian aviation industries (thus the formation of the CAA). The idea was to get civilian aviation, air ports, aviation manufacturing and related fields going in the US. A large number of civilian flight schools were founded, some just one-plane opperations working out of a hanger, others very large. Even collages and universites offered flying courses. In general, there were almost no military interest in any of these schools or operations, even as WWII loomed. By the late 30's it was pretty clear that the USAAF was WELL behind the curve in militaria aviation, but it wasn't until just about 1940-41 that people started to really take notice. At the time of Pearl Harbor, the USAAF was very poorly situated, and could barely train 500 or so new pilots. At this point, it became apparent to the previously hesitant military that they could use some of the larger civilian flight schools to train cadets in basic flying (thus was born the CAA-WTS programs). The original 22 or so contract flight schools (CFS) were then tasked with training cadets in basic flight. There were a larger number of subcontracted schools, auxiliary fields, etc that were folded up into this concept. As a collecting field, there are literally hundreds of different patches, wings and realted insignia out there to pick up.

Since these schools were run and staffed by civilians, there were no real uniform regulations that they had to abide by, especially at the start of the program. Some schools adopted paramiliatry style uniforms and insignia, others had nothing specific at all. If you look at yearbooks from these schools (especially in 42-43) you find all sorts of stuff being worn. I suspect that there are all sorts of one-offs and unique wings out there. Your wing is very very nice, and I wonder how many PMs you got to sell? I know I would have been one if I had the funds.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

deadpeoplesjunk

The one thing that really digs me on these is the guy I got them from won't tell me where he got them and won't make much effort to find out more about them. I know he bought them from one of the seniors in his condo and for all I know theres an amazing photo album or some related books he may be able to get.[or better yet, find out where the school is! lol] I told him if he could track down a pic of the person wearing them, even a small snapshot, I'd give him 50 bucks.2 weeks ago I told him I may go more. I've got some great stuff from him in the past and he never tries to find info with the stuff, it kills me! lol. Whenever he gets a wing badge, he always wants 50 bucks, the last wing I got from him[before this] was a naval aviator ww2. A guy was in front of me and saw it first , tried to beat him down, and he took them outta his hands and handed them to me . I bought them cause they looked decent and were in what may have been an original presentation box. I got back to my table and looked better at them and they were J Obrien! lol. He seems to be on a long roll with tough makers! By the way, Russ Huff, isn't that the gentleman that used to publish Wings and Things? I got Fred Andrews old binder of that publication, what a great reference! I knew Fred somewhat when he was still alive, he was one knowledgeable, nice, and brutally honest collector.

Nothing wrong with those wings. I've never seen another. The other two big collectors of flight instructor/flight school wings would be Russ and Cookieman. Russ has a very nice grouping of a woman pilot wearing a similar patch. I suspect if he had a mate to your wing, he would have posted it already.

I agree too now seeing the side. It looks to be properly sized and soldered.

nice set, and thanks for showing/taking more pics !!!!

-Brian

• 4 weeks later...