• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Civil War Infantryman - Almost complete!

Here is a quick snap of my Civil War Infantryman display. All original. The JD Martin four button sack coat is the pride and joy of all my militaria so I figured I needed to show it off anyways. The sack coat is is good shape, lining is a bit ratty in the armpits. The buttons are period replacements. The arm seams are resewn but hey, these sack coats are harder to find than a real D bail (I figure I had to use a WWII reference for some of you guys :lol: I had the sack coat cleaned professionally and under all that storage dust it still had plenty of sheen to the blue wool, so I definetly guess it was a surplus piece.

The equipment includes a E. Gaylord made cartridge box with sling, a buff belt and plate, inspector stamped cap box with wool and pick, .58 springfield bayonet with 7 riveted buff frog and leather scabbard, and the m1858 I showed in another post.

All in all, I'm missing a good tarred linen haversack, and then I'd be happy with the display.

Enjoy!

post-10771-1270072099.jpg

A very, very nice outfit. :D

I would love to see the details when you have time. These sack coats are the holy grail of CW uniforms.

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks everyone. I will post more photos once I can find my cord for the digital camera. I'm tired of the low-res cell phone cam photos I keep having to take. I did a post on my officer vest in the uniform section and I look at it now and I'm disappointed in the photos.

I bought the sack coat at an estate sale in Berks County PA when I was still in high school. They had a whole bunch of reenactors stuff there, apparently the recently deceased ws into collecting and reenacting. I bought this with all the reenactment uniforms and it wasn't till about 3 years later I had someone look at it since it began to look less and less like a contemporary uniform.

True story. It happened alot actually. Not with 4 button sacks, but surplus artillery and cavalry shell jackets were used my reenactors in the 60s and 70s, and costume companies earlier than that. Many time the original lining was torn out, replaced or covered with a more comfortable material. This combined with the minty exterior throws alot of people off. I've seen two artillery shell jackets on ebay in the last several years that were authentic but were first listed as reproductions.

Extremely nice; especially the sack coat! I have thought about putting together a similar display...have a set of accoutrements Id'ed to a Massachusetts soldier KIA at Second Manassas (belt, cap box, catridge box, canteen and knapsack), although unlikely to find a suitable enlistedman's coat in my price range.

Nice story on finding that coat...a rare thing indeed. Have you ever thought about adding a knapsack on his back?...I guess the knapsacks were more typical of early-war while the sack coats were later, but it would look cool nonetheless.

Here is a quick snap of my Civil War Infantryman display. All original. The JD Martin four button sack coat is the pride and joy of all my militaria so I figured I needed to show it off anyways. The sack coat is is good shape, lining is a bit ratty in the armpits. The buttons are period replacements. The arm seams are resewn but hey, these sack coats are harder to find than a real D bail (I figure I had to use a WWII reference for some of you guys :lol: I had the sack coat cleaned professionally and under all that storage dust it still had plenty of sheen to the blue wool, so I definetly guess it was a surplus piece.

The equipment includes a E. Gaylord made cartridge box with sling, a buff belt and plate, inspector stamped cap box with wool and pick, .58 springfield bayonet with 7 riveted buff frog and leather scabbard, and the m1858 I showed in another post.

All in all, I'm missing a good tarred linen haversack, and then I'd be happy with the display.

Enjoy!

Very nice display; but what about the blue kersey trousers and bummers cap?

donation2011.gif

Great looking display! :thumbsup: Are there any markings inside the sack coat?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

No markings, just a tad ratty. Trust me if I ever sell it, I'll let everyone on the forum know beforehand.

Having a four button is the holy grail of CW collections. In all my years of collecting I probably have only seen 3-4 for sale. Most museums don't have one. Congratulations on owning one.

My original January 1865 dated kersey trousers are made by J D Martin also, Ray

donation2008.gif
Having a four button is the holy grail of CW collections. In all my years of collecting I probably have only seen 3-4 for sale. Most museums don't have one. Congratulations on owning one.

My original January 1865 dated kersey trousers are made by J D Martin also, Ray

Ray,

If we ever meet up at a show or something, we'll have to arrange to get the two pieces photographed together!

Ray,

If we ever meet up at a show or something, we'll have to arrange to get the two pieces photographed together!

That would be nice but a bit impractical as both items are on mannequin forms and there is always a concern of damage by putting on and taking off clothing on mannequines Ray

2ewmdtx.jpg

donation2008.gif
That would be nice but a bit impractical as both items are on mannequin forms and there is always a concern of damage by putting on and taking off clothing on mannequines Ray

2ewmdtx.jpg

This is true, that's honestly why I haven't gotten around to taking more detailed pics of the sack coat. At least we can say we have CW infantrymen displays as nice as the Smithsonian. (Granted they probably have stockpiles of CW uniforms in the basement)

post-10771-1272313585.jpg

Wonderful display, dont see too many of these on the forum. It's cool that you got it in Berks, because that's where i live.

Haydn

Actively collecting 7th Armored Division items, groupings, etc. especially anything dealing with CO B, 23rd AIB

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

donation2011.gif

My dad discovered one of our ancestor's Civil War coats in the top of a barn here on the farm. Opened the trunk, reached in, and it fell to dust in his hands. Bummer.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

• 2 years later...

Finally finished the display...

Snagged a really nice Federal haversack from Dave Taylor this afternoon. Will post photos once arrived. Very excited, been waiting years to snag one for a good price. Every time one did come along without a premium price I was too slow.

Also, The Horse Soldier offered an original piece of hard tack I was missing for the mess/personal item display.

post-10771-0-55413200-1364931659.jpg

I just noticed this thread and was admiring your civil war display. I read that you were looking for a haversack and was going to tell you about the one on Dave Taylor's site (I got his email update today). That's cool that you got it! I've been thinking about picking up a low to moderately priced Springfield rifle from him in the near future. Just a basic 1861 (I think) issue type. Some of his items seem to be priced decently. That's really cool that you have such a great collection!

Regards,

Frank

​​​​​donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2020.gif

Dave's equipment and uniform items are tough to beat. Images are priced ok. For firearms I'd rather go to gunbroker, find a seller with a good reputation of selling antique firearms and has decent enough information in the listing to know you aren't getting a put together rifle. My springfield (1863) is from Shiloh Relics.

Fantastic display,and glad you were able to add the haversack. Looking at this it illustrates just how little equipment they carried,compared to troops today.

Matt.

Collecting WWII and pre-war Air Corps items-Unit Histories,Uniforms,Medals and Groupings.

*Seeking Pre-WWII Air Corps Officers and Enlisted Dress Uniform items!*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif