Lt Col William C. Stoll Jr. USMC

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Here is a grouping I was given by the family of the veteran. I met Col Stoll's family when I was setting up a display for My American Legion unit on Veteran's Day. The daughter asked me if I would be interested in some old marine corp uniforms and of course I said yes!!! I had the opportunity to meet her father, who was in the very early stages of Alzhiemers and I was able to record his story on DVD and I passed a copy on ot the family and to the Library of Congress Veteran History program.

Col Stoll enlistd in 1939 and was accepted to marine OCS. in 1940. He was commissioned in early 1941 and served as an officer with teh 1st Amphibious Tractor battalion on Guadalcanal. After Guadalcanal he was made executive officer of the 5th Amphibious Tractor battalion and saw action on Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. After the war he held a number of commands including as commander of an amphibious unit that tested new vehicles, commander of the 1st Armoured Amphibious battalion in Korea late 1953 - 1954 and he was commander of the marine detachment at Clarksville Base, Atomic Weapons Storage facility known as the "birdcage" from 1960-1962. later in life he was a college professor at Northern Kentucky University. He passed away in 2008.

Pic 1 Dress Uniform

post-6492-1269918957.jpg

post-6492-1269918970.jpg

post-6492-1269919008.jpg

kyhistorian01

Pic 2, Mess Dress ( I didn't get the cumberbun, but a friend on the forum had one from the same period, which I have added to it for display)

post-6492-1269919051.jpg

post-6492-1269919064.jpg

kyhistorian01

Pic 4, a yard long photo of the 1st Amphibious Tractor Battalion before leaving for Guadalcanal and his 1960s tan hat (the only hat that was found)

post-6492-1269919360.jpg

post-6492-1269919373.jpg

kyhistorian01

A couple of photos of him, one from mid WWII and one from Korea. I have a number of vehicle and personal photos not photographed.

post-6492-1269919620.jpg

post-6492-1269919632.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I think I have found a V-Mail from this Marine Officer as I came across this one dated Dec. 2nd, 1942 mailed by what appears to be a Lt. W. C. Stoll Jr. who was attached to a Marine Corps Unit # that I can't quite make out. His nearest available Marine Corps Muster Roll record shows him as a First Lt. attached to Co. A, 1st Amphibian Tractor Battalion attached to the 1st Marine Division so it might just be him.

William C Stoll

in the U.S. Marine Corps Muster Rolls, 1798-1958

Name: William C Stoll Muster Date: Jan 1943 Rank: First Lieutenant Station: Company "A", 1St Amphibian Tractor Battalion, 1St Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force C/O Fleet Postoffice, San Francisco, California

Pictures to follow

Lt. W. C. Stoll Jr. V Mail Address.pdf

Robert, you've been holding out on me. This is one fantastic grouping. I'm in awe of the mess dress uniform as this is one that has eluded me. Congratulations, and Happy New Year! Jack

• 1 year later...
OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

Col. Stoll would've served under the command of then Capt. John D. Bulkeley of PT Boat fame (Received the CMOH for taking MacArthur and family off Corregidor, signed up a young Lt. by the name of Kennedy for command of PT109). I arrived at Clarksville Base in May of '63 after Col. Stoll had left. Bulkeley received promotion to Rear Admiral in August of '63. President Kennedy was assassinated 22 Nov. and a few weeks later, ADM Bulkeley left to take command of Guantanemo. The rest is history.

• 4 years later...

Greetings from Saipan.  In April, I was involved in an archaeological excavation that recovered a U.S. Marine Corps Reserve dog tag.  It was found just inland from the section of coast that the U.S. code named Red Beach 3 during the WWII battle for Saipan.  After researching the name and other information on the tag, I was able to identify the owner as William Conrad Stoll Jr who saw action on Red Beach 3 from June 15 - 17, 1944.  I sent a FB message to his daughter (from whom, I believe, you acquired his uniform) but was blocked with no response.  I assume she suspected that I was an online scammer.  I think I have identified and located his son, but have not reached out to him yet.  Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed?  We marked the 78th anniversary of the WWII battle here on Saipan two days ago.  Thank you,  Scott

manayunkman

Scott,

I recommend that you start a new thread in order to get maximum attention.

Maybe in the research section or the dog tag section.

Peter 

• 3 months later...