EBAY VF-20 Patch

bronxboymike

In my opinion, I'd pass on it. I collect naval aviation patches and have several from the same time frame. None are of a similar construction type. Another thing that would worry me is how bright the colors in the patch are. Most of the 40's era squadron patches that I come across have some yellowing due to age in the white part. Just my opinion though. If it is real, it should go for at least $400 - $500.

Mike

Check out his other auctions. He has a fake WW1 wing that he swears is "original to the period." I wouldn't touch anything from this guy.

Kurt

bronxboymike

I've seen other questionable patches along with others that were authentic in previous auctions of his. The questionable ones are enough for me to steer clear.

Mike

I've seen other questionable patches along with others that were authentic in previous auctions of his. The questionable ones are enough for me to steer clear.

Mike

I have to agree with Mike on both his replies as well as the other responses you've received. :thumbdown: This patch looks like a lot of the other supposed "theater-made" patches that are in my "Fake" photo reference file. (Same type of hand stitching although many examples are from squadrons serving in totally different theaters). You'd think that if you were going to take the time to hand-stitch this patch you'd want to get the "G" at the end of "Fighting" correct. :think: I don't like the type of cloth background on the patch either. It looks like a cheap felt with twill-like lines in it or twill-like cloth. In my experience, I haven't come across any original WW2 wool felt that has the same characteristics. The black cloth on the back very likely covers up more modern thread or some other obvious giveaway that it's not real. Quite often, materials used for these type of fakes are chosen for their lack of "glo" to help pass any blacklight tests they may come across. I think this patch is a little small in the dimensions as well. Other examples I've seen were larger I think. Whenever I question the patch, just so I don't talk myself into buying it, I take a close look at the seller. In this case two wrongs definitely doesn't make it right! However, I must say it's a nice filler for display until you come across a genuine piece. I suspect we're going to see this patch relisted by an unhappy buyer or by the seller himself.