And the Addiction Continues to Grow - Navy wing collection

Wiendolch

What started out as one Navy Wing to add to my collection of US WWII items has grown into one mean addiction worse than the cigaretts i'm trying to quit. I don't see a cure for this do you. After just a little more than a month this is what i have so far with one more on the way.

It seems everytime i pass a pawn shop or antique store i have to stop in just to see if they have any Navy wings. :w00t:

Uncurable Eric

post-10008-1269802338.jpg

For the cigarettes try Chantix, for the wings try Wingdex :D

Or a divorce attorney at this rate. Seriously Eric, a very nice collection for someone who has been at it for 6 months, let alone only 1 month.

Do you have a favorite one so far?

And let us know what it looks like a month from now.

flyingfortress

I really enjoy the hunt looking for wings at flea markets and antique shops but I find them to be either contemporary

re-strikes and/or fakes or the authentic ones being way overpriced. It seems these dealers are still going with prices they

asked years ago not realizing the same wings can be purchased on eBay at half price or less.

George

Hi Navybob,

This one is my favorite, it's a LGB clutch back but has that never touched look with all the brunishing in the recessed areas and the highlights have the haze to them like it too was never polished. The reverse has what looks like lacquer or a satin finish to them. So far i see that Balfour made the most detailed wing and is my favorite maker so far, a close second is a unmarked wing i think these are underated. I have yet to see in hand a set of Meyer and Amcraft wings or many of the makers for that fact.

post-10008-1270210943.jpg

post-10008-1270210974.jpg

I really enjoy the hunt looking for wings at flea markets and antique shops but I find them to be either contemporary

re-strikes and/or fakes or the authentic ones being way overpriced. It seems these dealers are still going with prices they

asked years ago not realizing the same wings can be purchased on eBay at half price or less.

George

George you are correct but i did see a H&H / Imperial marked wing that the antique stor owner would sell at half the price seen on ebay. I already had this make so i passed i should go back and buy it to sell it on ebay, not a bad idea.

I'm with ya Wien - My two favs are a Balfour picked up from fellow forum member Josh B. I believe and a set of amazingly detailed, quality unmarked wings.

post-9392-1270214817.jpg

Navybob,

Her's my second favorite it's a balfour of course i love seeing the frosting/lacquer finish on the back of these to me it shows it was not polished. What i could not catch too well was the frosting in the recessed areas on the obverse side, the flash of the camera kinda washed it out. This one has just about all the gold on the pin still.

post-10008-1270214736.jpg

post-10008-1270214747.jpg

Nice Balfour wing but don't forget that the 1-B marked wings are post-WW2. Not that it's a big deal but if you're going for the WW2 era then it's definitely something you want to look for. The pattern is the same as the WW2 pattern. I agree that the Balfour Navy wings are high quality but the one thing I always found strange about them is that the shield is at a slight angle and not perpendicular to the anchor. Maybe it's an optical illusion but on Balfour badges the shield tilts slightly toward the right wing if you're looking at the badge from straight on.

Nice Balfour wing but don't forget that the 1-B marked wings are post-WW2. Not that it's a big deal but if you're going for the WW2 era then it's definitely something you want to look for. The pattern is the same as the WW2 pattern. I agree that the Balfour Navy wings are high quality but the one thing I always found strange about them is that the shield is at a slight angle and not perpendicular to the anchor. Maybe it's an optical illusion but on Balfour badges the shield tilts slightly toward the right wing if you're looking at the badge from straight on.

I never noticed the shield before thanks for pointing it out. I knew the 1-B makeing was post war and always thought it was pre to early korean war.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

They really are a nice looking wing. They look similar to the ones I have with an antiqued type finish on them. Same hallmark on the back 1-B, I bought them at the Navy Exchange in 1982.

Spike

I never noticed the shield before thanks for pointing it out. I knew the 1-B makeing was post war and always thought it was pre to early korean war.

Eric

post-11282-1271327575.jpg

I like them. A great looking collection!

Spike

What started out as one Navy Wing to add to my collection of US WWII items has grown into one mean addiction worse than the cigaretts i'm trying to quit. I don't see a cure for this do you. After just a little more than a month this is what i have so far with one more on the way.

It seems everytime i pass a pawn shop or antique store i have to stop in just to see if they have any Navy wings. :w00t:

Uncurable Eric