Seawolves Jacket Patch

vietvet7071

vietvet7071

I also picked this up yesterday, but I'm skeptical that it is theater and war time made. Its about 12 inches across. Backside shown in scan 2. Can anyone shed any light on this? :think:

Thanks,

Ed

post-3293-1269795177.jpg

vietvet7071
I also picked this up yesterday, but I'm skeptical that it is theater and war time made. Backside shown in scan 2. Can anyone shed any light on this? :think:

Thanks,

Ed

Heres scan 2 of the backside.

post-3293-1269795276.jpg

I also picked this up yesterday, but I'm skeptical that it is theater and war time made. Its about 12 inches across. Backside shown in scan 2. Can anyone shed any light on this? :think:

Thanks,

Ed

What war were you asking about? It's for an Attack Helicopter Squadron, so It's not WWII era.

vietvet7071
What war were you asking about? It's for an Attack Helicopter Squadron, so It's not WWII era.

I know that it is not WW II. I thought that who ever was looking at it would know I meant Vietnam. But, I guess I was wrong.

The thing to keep in mind about any Navy stuff is that the Navy did NOT have regulation patches other than insignia. What I mean by that is that jacket/unit patches were made all over to pretty much any/no standard. I have jacket patches that I purchased from the ships store of the USS Henry B. Wilson DDG-7 during an 18 month tour. They are different. The shape of the patchs are different, the size, the material and construction is different. The logo is the same, but the rest is different. The Ships Store Operator ordered them from the same vendor using the same item number. They just were made different. Additionally, when we were deployed, it was ofter cheaper to resupply these things locally. Some vendor would come aboard and make a pitch to provide X number of patches for $X. They would be close to what we would get from Vanguard, but diffenent. We didn't care, neither did the Navy. They were not regulation uniform items and we were not required to have them. Often, we would have custom made patches. I had special patches made for my Signalmen on an amphib I was on. It was an aligator wearing whites holding a semaphore flag. We also had "Assault Boat Signalman" patches made up (took the Assault Boat Coxain patch and substituted the anchors with signal flags).

I had a CO in '89 who had flown with HAL 3 in VN. He would wear his flight jacket and over time added patches to it.

Your patch looks pretty new. At 12 inches, it was for the back of a jacket. It might just have never been sewn on anything. But it looks as original as anything else Sailors get to put on their jackets.

Steve Hesson

vietvet7071
The thing to keep in mind about any Navy stuff is that the Navy did NOT have regulation patches other than insignia. What I mean by that is that jacket/unit patches were made all over to pretty much any/no standard. I have jacket patches that I purchased from the ships store of the USS Henry B. Wilson DDG-7 during an 18 month tour. They are different. The shape of the patchs are different, the size, the material and construction is different. The logo is the same, but the rest is different. The Ships Store Operator ordered them from the same vendor using the same item number. They just were made different. Additionally, when we were deployed, it was ofter cheaper to resupply these things locally. Some vendor would come aboard and make a pitch to provide X number of patches for $X. They would be close to what we would get from Vanguard, but diffenent. We didn't care, neither did the Navy. They were not regulation uniform items and we were not required to have them. Often, we would have custom made patches. I had special patches made for my Signalmen on an amphib I was on. It was an aligator wearing whites holding a semaphore flag. We also had "Assault Boat Signalman" patches made up (took the Assault Boat Coxain patch and substituted the anchors with signal flags).

I had a CO in '89 who had flown with HAL 3 in VN. He would wear his flight jacket and over time added patches to it.

Your patch looks pretty new. At 12 inches, it was for the back of a jacket. It might just have never been sewn on anything. But it looks as original as anything else Sailors get to put on their jackets.

Steve Hesson

Thanks for the info Steve.

snake36bravo

It's unusual because it's a jacket patch at 12" but from the images as they are it seems okay to me. There are some consistent techniques to it. I also have some Seawolves pocket patches and they tend to vary. I believe there were three versions for HAL-3. Looks Asian made for sure. Where did you score it?

I wouldn't have a problem owning this piece. :thumbsup:

When I was stationed in Cu Chi, RVN in 1968/69 with Det B-36, We would occasionally be supported by Navy, Sea Wolfs. They were very professional!

vintageproductions

This piece looks fine. I have seen them this size on the backs of G-1's and on party jackets. From the photo is looks vintage Vietnamese made.

The backing material looks correct for the period. The workmanship looks like it is from a professional shop.

It's the first one of these I have seen this large, but I agree with Bob that this looks good. Nice item.

HI Ed,

Very nice patch. I echo Bob and Gil as to its originality. Gil is right , this is very well done , much better than most of the smaller patches. Viet made patches sure run a gamut of quality , from almost crude to the chainstiched ones or the very well made hand made ones. I see now I have another patch that I'm going to have to look for. I have several of the small ones but not one this size. Nice score again.

Regards, Mitch

vietvet7071

Thanks to everyone that posted info on the patch. The patch was a "gift at no charge" from a local antique dealer. It is going to make a great addition to my collection.

Thanks again,

Ed