Visor cap care

normaninvasion

normaninvasion

Thought I would start a topic about some of my techniques for preserving visor caps. First the Hat Jack: These are found at western hat stores on the internet. They come sized and fit in the frame of the hat. You twist the middle handle to create spreading by tension. These are very handy for deformed frames, which it turn brings back the shape. Visors commonly become deformed due to poor storage. You can keep the jack in the hat for storage, in order to keep form. However, I have found that keeping the jack in the hat for several weeks will restore the frame to proper form. Caution: Too much tension and you will damage the hat, beyond repair, cracked visors, torn material!!! Use like any other tool, expierment first than applie to your prized cap. Western hat enthusiats have been using these for years.

post-4253-1269790659.jpg

normaninvasion

The second simple tool is a Hat Brush. Again these are found in western hat stores found on the internet. These brushes are typically made from hog bristles. This is an excellent tool for cleaning dust, hair, debris, and general maintenance of the cap. These can also be used on uniforms with great results! Others tips I can give are the use of tissue paper, to stuff the hat, to keep form. Take time to do it right, too much and you will deform the hat. Another piece of advise, keep visor off of surfaces while displayed, such as on a foam head. The weight of the crown will put tension on the bill. Also never stack one on top of the other. Hope others will add their tips as well, jeff

post-4253-1269791457.jpg

post-4253-1269791476.jpg

post-4253-1269791490.jpg

post-4253-1269791506.jpg