M16/AR15 Sling question

normaninvasion

normaninvasion

I have several Ars: Colt Hbar, Bushmaster M4s, and Dissapators. At the moment, I have stock slings on them and was considering upgrading to either GI issue Nam era slings or more modern one point systems. Truth be told, the stock slings are fine for what I do, to and from the range. The upgrade would mainly be do to asthetics. However, the stock slings do get in the way while shooting and do not make for a squared away system. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks in advance, jeff

Garandomatic

I just retro'd a DPMS AR, aside from the casing deflector, it is pretty spot on to Vietnam. The factory sling, with the two plastic buckles, was slow to put on and take off, and of course interfered with the Vietnam look I was after. I found a GI OD sling on ebay, it looks and feels much better, and can quickly be taken off for cleaning the rifle. When it is in the factory case, it perfectly outlines the rifle when adjusted to use when shooting offhand. I may even keep my eyes open for a canvas sling, as I generally prefer the feel of canvas to nylon.

the original sling issued with the m4 was sling,small arms, carbine 1005-01-368-9852 it's a longer version of the "silent" sling however now they are using alot of slings from blackhawk, eagle and other companies all claiming a sling "that is used by the miliatry" as far as retro goes a cotton m1 sling is what i have on my xm16e1 clone.

NavyEngineer

Jeff,

I've used a cotton M1 sling on all of my US military style rifles and carbines - it's still relatively cheap and works well for me for both practice and shooting matches. Here's one on my Franken-AR - a surplus M16A1 upper attached to a Rock River Arms lower with an M16A1 pistol grip. This setup works well with my 22 conversion bolt.

002sv.jpg

003kv.jpg

Garandomatic

Unless you heavily prefer the cotton, don't discount the OD nylon GI sling if you come across one of those first. They made the slings up in that (the same in all other respects) because the tropical environment in Vietnam more or less ate the cotton M1/M14 sling, or so I am told.