Ugly Duckling or Sleeping Beauty you decide? LGB pattern command pilot unmarked

John Cooper

John Cooper

I had some spare time from the honey do's so I decided to post a recent pick up. There was not much interest in this wing... So as the title says you choose.

BTW - can you ID the maker?

Cheers

John

post-227-1269726685.jpg

I had some spare time from the honey do's so I decided to post a recent pick up. There was not much interest in this wing... So as the title says you choose. BTW - can you ID the maker?

Interesting question and a great pick. Obverse die appears to be the same used by LGB, but of course an LGB expert would recognize that. The interesting question is, is this simply an unmarked LGB wing or something else? Further, if this is an unmarked LGB, is it sterling? These things have confused me for some time because there seems to be a fair population of unmarked wings like these and the very similar AMCRAFT pattern in circulation.

PS

• 4 weeks later...
John Cooper
Interesting question and a great pick. Obverse die appears to be the same used by LGB, but of course an LGB expert would recognize that. The interesting question is, is this simply an unmarked LGB wing or something else? Further, if this is an unmarked LGB, is it sterling? These things have confused me for some time because there seems to be a fair population of unmarked wings like these and the very similar AMCRAFT pattern in circulation.

PS

Sorry for the LATE reply Paul :blushing:

I think it is just that an unmarked wing but why? From the patina I have no doubt the wing is silver but maybe a lower quality i.e. coin silver (why not mark it as such..?) I think we have discussed several wings that appear to be early heavy wings without any marks... so it maybe the same for this wing. :think: :dunno:

Balfour had at least two versions of this pattern that is primarily identifiable by weight (thicker\heavier) which is the most noticeable when holding them in your hand. I can only assume the heavier version was an "upgraded" version for a bit more money.

Now as for the title I wanted to grab some attention since I picked this up for what I consider to be a great price since the exact same wing recently went for 100+% more IIRC. The only difference was the MM.

John