Hat Questions

TBMflyer

Got this from an old teacher of mine. I think it is from the 20's or 30's. Can anyone tell me the branch of service, age or anything else about the hat. Also, what should I offer him for it? Not really my area of collecting but quite nice, thanks, Mark.

post-527-1183856767.jpg

post-527-1183856785.jpg

Your Army dress uniform service cap was adopted with the uniform regulations of 1912. The oak leafs on the visor indicate a field grade officer; major, lt. colonel or colonel. The black with red facings ribbon indicated Ordnance Department from 1912 to 1921.

CNY Militaria

I saw these selling anywhere from $200 and up and up at a recent military auction.

I saw these selling anywhere from $200 and up and up at a recent military auction.

Agreed, these hats are getting quite popular now.

Pointedcuffs

I agree looks like a $200-$250 one to me. What does the sweat band look like...Who is the maker?

Mario

Thanks for the help guys. The sweatband is in great condition with just a bit of staining on the front and it is marked 7 1/4. Here is a pic of the manufacturer's mark. Thanks again, Mark.

post-527-1183895690.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. The sweatband is in great condition with just a bit of staining on the front and it is marked 7 1/4. Here is a pic of the manufacturer's mark. Thanks again, Mark.

MVC_032F.JPG

I would have to agree that this one is probably earlier. Note the band and eagle are one piece. It may even be that this was a pre1912 "bell crown" upgraded to 1912 style with its larger top. I have an almost identical company grade infantry hat that has this conversion.

I would certainly put the value close to $250.

• 4 months later...
Got this from an old teacher of mine. I think it is from the 20's or 30's. Can anyone tell me the branch of service, age or anything else about the hat. Also, what should I offer him for it? Not really my area of collecting but quite nice, thanks, Mark.

post-527-1183856767.jpg

post-527-1183856785.jpg

the narrow visor would seem to substsntiate Gail's conclusion