Amico Pilot Wings

wildcat123

I will freely admit, I know very little about wings. These came on a 12th AAF pilots uniform and was curious if you guys could help me out and tell me more about them. Marked "Amico" on the reverse, pin back. I couldn't find the hallmark in any of the listings here on the forum, but found it in "Pinks and Greens." What era? Are they a common wing? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Tyler

post-1095-1269708777.jpg

post-1095-1269708788.jpg

Hello,

AMICO was a very common maker of WWII insignia and wings. Not terribly rare, but a very nice and high quality pair of wings.

You have a plus because they are pin back and a double plus because they are hallmarked with the "rarer" AMICO mark. More often than not, AMICO wings are simply marked AMICO in an arc over the word STERLING. So, this more ornate hallmark is a pretty nice variation not commonly seen.

As for value, the bottom seems to have fallen out on the more common WWII wings (like pilot and aircrew wings), but I would think around the 75-100$ range, more or less.

Nice wings and even nicer on the uniform!

Patrick

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate the info. Most of the pictures of Amico wings that I've seen, like you said, didn't have this hallmark. I was thrown off a bit. You are right, they look great on the uniform. Thanks again.

post-1095-1269722551.jpg

John Cooper

Wow - nice jacket with a swwet bullion 12th AF patch! As for the hallmark I recall reading in W&T that there was some speculation that the hallmark you poasted was late war. I have never follwed up on this...

John

Thanks for the additional info. Later war would make sense for this pilot, he got his wings in mid 44 and went overseas at the end of the year. Thanks again for the input, guys, I appreciate it.''

And yes, the crusher is a Bancroft Flighter :thumbsup:

John Cooper
Thanks for the additional info. Later war would make sense for this pilot, he got his wings in mid 44 and went overseas at the end of the year. Thanks again for the input, guys, I appreciate it.''

And yes, the crusher is a Bancroft Flighter :thumbsup:

Super so that is a nice confirmation that that hallmark was on wing in 1944.

John

I had always heard that it was an early mark for Amico. I have a thing for Amico wings like you have for LGB wings John. It is nice confirmation that it was on a wing in '44 but that doesn't mean the wing was manufactured in '44. It could have been sitting on a shelf for quite awhile before it was purchased. Either way it's a very nice AAF wing and that is a scarcer mark than the other Amico hallmarks.

John Cooper

Bob - I guess it can go either way until we can dig up some more information which is half the fun! Maybe you can start a post of AMICO wings and maker mark variations and we can look at the details of each and see if we can tip the scales one way or the other? Biographical wings would be great but variations in fittings or specific rates which have defined dates of authorization may help as well.

Interested?

John