Some of Our Airmen Are No Longer Missing

gwb123

This was only recently posted on youtube.com. It is a little grainy, and you have to put up with 1980's vintage UK commercial, but it is both fascinating an haunting.

WARNING: Some of the footage shows human remains and is disturbing.

Air combat footage from both US, Brit and German sources combined with 1981 footage of aircraft recovery, including a USAAF B-24.

Anyone know if these aircraft that were recovered have ever been placed in a museum?

No_longer_missing.jpg

Excellent documentary on a fascinating subject. Thank you for posring the link! :thumbsup:

Bobgee

WWII aircraft wrecks still turn up from time to time here in Holland; the RNAF still has a special recovery team to handle them. Late last year they recovered a British Blenheim bomber with some human remains not far from my home. A private museum near Amsterdam Schiphol Airport has among others some wreckage of a B-26 bomber on display together with a picture of that particular aircraft going down in flames, photographed from another plane in the formation. That display makes quite an impression.

Greetz ;)

David

I was looking for a website that might have photos of the aircraft recovered and I was wondering if any them had been restored to museum condition?

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to watch this on youtube - quite a good story!

I have an article somewhere at home which I saved, and had actually scanned and emailed out to a few other Purple Heart collectors a couple years ago... I think it may have been from After The Battle magazine, it was about this identical topic, and as I recall a bit more detailed than the youtube story. I remember saving it because it detailed why all of sudden in the 1960's & 70's all these aircraft started turning up & remains being recovered.

MW