USMC Shoulder Board

Brig

we may have discussed this, I can't recall and can't find a thread on it. Got it years ago from the Collector's Guild...I think the debate was whether it was indeed USMC or Army with a USMC screw added. The screw/button/what have you is unmarked, as is the board. USMC or something else? thanks

100_4539.JPG

• 2 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Tim, my hunch is this board - knot - epaulet (whatever one chooses to call it) may have Army origins (first use) and was adopted for USMC band use a decade or two before 1900. Were they for Enlisted or Officer use in period, I would expect to see the brass rim the end in place of the three cords. Hopefully someone will know for sure or have photo's they care to share with us?

• 3 years later...

Found this, figured I'd bump it up since I still have it. Been thinking converted Army Artillery, perhaps. Anyone with more info than I?

• 6 months later...

the Marines did wear shoulder boards like this. i'll try and dig out my copy of the 1917 and ww2 regs to see what picture plates are shown.

• 8 months later...

Well, these are an interesting wrench in the mix...are these Army conversions, or is there a USMC variation we weren't aware of?

$_57 (2).JPG

$_57 (3).jpg

That is one crazy looking shoulder weave......... will check my files on these. I have lots of shoulder photos but noNE with one like tjis. Pretty cool!