The Named Good Conduct Medal

kklinejr

Recently I have become very interested in the named varieties of the US Good Conduct medal. Sure, it's a very common medal, but what appeals to me about named items is their relative availability and reasonable pricing. I know their prestige is nothing compared to the Silver Star or Purple Heart, but they still showed commitment to God and country- I guess that's why I like them. They are the "common man's" medal.

The first one up belonged to Sgt. Albert Strasser and is named in script engraving. This GC is a very early production model, dated August 13, 1942. The medal is a full wrap broach and also features a serial numbered ridge (matches box #26553).

post-99-1167498037.jpg

post-99-1167498051.jpg

CNY Militaria

I have a number of named ones as well. I can usually pick them up at shows and flea markets for $3-7 each. Then I send off to NARA and get amazing results...won the PH, BS, where he served, all his units, his paperwork. So you can easily turn a simple medal into something much more. (And it doesn't hurt to have the all the guy's records if and when you plan to sell one).

The next photo features ten named GCs from the WWII era. The variety of script, of course, is identical to all other government engraved medals. If you have any, be sure to post them! :)

These medals belonged to:

William T. Duff (enlisted 6 November 1942 in Philadelphia)

William Farrow (enlisted 8 October 1942 in Philadelphia)

William M. Hatcher (enlisted 20 march 1942 at Selfridge Field, Michigan)

George A. Holt (04 August 1922 - 12 February 2004)

Robert A . Johnson Jr. (enlisted 10 January 1946 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi)

Gordon C. Nielsen (23 January 1923 - 5 February 2004)

Herbert L. Schon (enlisted 20 June 1942 in Boston)

Louis N. Sphor (enlisted 5 January 1943 in Los Angeles)

George J. Wladika (enlisted 25 November 1942 in Pittsburgh)

Marvin Wossum (enlisted 25 November 1940 in Corsicano, TX)

post-99-1167498137.jpg

post-99-1167498147.jpg

post-99-1167498578.jpg

Here's one of mine, it belonged to Thomas E. Dickens. He was stationed stateside through the war. I also have his patches, belts, dog tags, and a few other personal items.

post-101-1167792037.jpg

You know, these are very neat medals. My father was very proud of his from his service as a Corporal in the Army Air Force during WWII. As this was an enlisted award, officers are also very proud of them indicating they came up through the ranks to become "gentlemen."

• 6 months later...

Hello,

Just received this today. The engraving style is very similar to the one in your first frame. It is a full wrapped broach and is numbered 68***. The man enlisted in Maine in 1942 and was evidently in the Air Corps from the other items with the good conduct medal.

post-213-1184467760.jpg

post-213-1184468019.jpg

Jerry