82nd A/b 504th PIR Silver star/Bronze Star group missing the Purple Heart

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

I recently aquired this Silver Star - Bronze Star group to HOWARD A KEMBLE of Headquarters Company. 1st Battalion, 504th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division. 1st Lt. Kimble won the SS for actions on 19 DEC 1944 at Cheneux/Province of Liege, Belgium. He was killed the next day 20 December 1944 leading an assault. He enlisted September 1940 and served 19 months with the 165th Infantry. Date and reason for the Bronze Star award unknown.

I am hoping some one knows the location of his Purple Heart so the grouping can be reunited. Any help appreciated,

Garth

post-83-1269535925.jpg

Hi Garth

The engraving on that Silver Star is not official Govt. engraving that would have been done during WWII . It is machine engraved , which was not used at the PQMD until the 50's, and the font is faceted too. Faceted machine engraving is not something the Govt did even up through the Vietnam war. The engraving on this medal looks like the stuff that guy on Ebay BOBVN was selling a few years back.

The engraving on the BS also looks fairly recent ( Post 1960's ) . BS's were also not machine engraved during WWII. The PQMD started machine engraving them in the 50's.

I would have expected both of these medals to be hand engraved since the recipient was KIA during WWII. I do not think these were the medals given to his family anytime between the time he was killed and 1950. At best they are recent replacements.

Kurt

Garth Thompson

Thanks for the comments men. I was trying to do an old time collector a favor and possibly move some of his material but it seems more and more he was a less than discriminating buyer.

Garth

Thanks for the comments men. I was trying to do an old time collector a favor and possibly move some of his material but it seems more and more he was a less than discriminating buyer.

Garth

Thanks too bad. I have seen a few people that buy that way.

I always say with medals..... " Buy the medal and the engraving, not the name " .

Kurt

• 11 years later...

So I own this one now. A friend got taken by it and when he showed me I sent him a link to this thread. He said he contacted the seller who offered some kind of partial refund. I dont know exactly what he worked out with the seller but he kept the medal and I took it in trade, mostly to get it out of circulation so nobody else gets burned by it. 

I'm debating what to do with it. On the one hand it is a known fake and I'm tempted to grind the name off. On the other hand, I feel guilty even considering doing that because it's almost like I'd be grinding away a reminder of his sacrifice. 

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on what to do with it. Grind it, mark it, something else? 

Thanks!

-Ryan

20211030_183700.jpg

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to post for the record that I have passed this on to another collector with full disclosure in writing (messenger) about what it is, and what it is not. I couldn't bring myself to grind the name off and I found someone who wanted it as-is for a display.