Theater Made (German) US Officer's Uniform

APO472

I know some of you like & collect Theater made stuff. I just picked up this German made US Officer's Ike Jacket. The material and quality are simply amazing. The wool is very similar to the "doeskin" that was used on German WWII Officer's uniforms. There is a good deal of hand sewn tailoring on this one. The bullion insignia was found in the pocket and are incredible as well. The Oak Leaves are extremely heavy and also on a doeskin base.

post-261-1183828472.jpg

post-261-1183828490.jpg

post-261-1183828504.jpg

I know some of you like & collect Theater made stuff. I just picked up this German made US Officer's Ike Jacket. The material and quality are simply amazing. The wool is very similar to the "doeskin" that was used on German WWII Officer's uniforms. There is a good deal of hand sewn tailoring on this one. The bullion insignia was found in the pocket and are incredible as well. The Oak Leaves are extremely heavy and also on a doeskin base.

post-261-1183828472.jpg

post-261-1183828490.jpg

post-261-1183828504.jpg

post-261-1183828593.jpg

post-261-1183828611.jpg

Fixbayonets!

This Ike was theater made in the Netherlands. I have an Ike to an artillery Officer with the same exact makers label. The inside of the sleeves on my jacket are lined with camo parachute silk, your might be as well.

Rob

This Ike was theater made in the Netherlands.

Rob is right.... Heerlen is in the Netherlands:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heerlen

Also, the major's leaves were made by GEMSCO. I have owned an identical pair in the past in the original wrapping. They were made for the makinaw overcoat, but were often used for the Ike jacket.

Great Ike!!! I LOVE theater made stuff!

Dave

w00t.gif Thats new for me, Ike from my country thumbsup.gif

That's news to me as well. Thanks everyone for the insight. I never thought of US items being made in the Netherlands as right off one would think that they would manufacture Commonwealth type uniforms if anything. Having been to Holland nearly 2 dozen times I never put 2 & 2 together on the town. Just assumed it was German.

Rob, thanks for the info. This one's sleeves are lined in a red polka dot material not cammo.

Thanks again,

Jake Powers

Fixbayonets!

For comparison, here are some photos of my Ike from the same manufacturer. I bought this jacket along with his overcoat and B-4 bag direct from the vet at least 10 years ago.

Rob

post-168-1184281003.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Camo silk inside the sleeves (photo shows sleeve turned inside out). Possibly form a camo British or German parachute?

post-168-1184281316.jpg

And last is a period photo of the vet wearing this Ike jacket.

Rob,

That is a great series of pics and history! Thanks for sharing. These coats must be cousins!

Jake

Rob---

I believe the lining of your jacket is German camouflage parachute silk. Mr. Samuelson, whose collection I have posted on this forum, also sent home a number of German souvenirs. Among them was this section of a parachute silk cut from an unused bolt/roll of material. I located an on-line dealer selling an entire bolt/roll and was able to match it exactly. Google also found a few period photos of this pattern being used during the war. Below are two photos of the piece from Mr. Samuelson.

post-211-1184288654.jpg

post-211-1184288844.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Siege, thanks for the confirmation on the German parachute silk. I can see the exact pattern in the lower right of the photo you posted. thumbsup.gif

Rob