USMC Sweetheart Items

teufelhunde.ret

I believe this is a "sweetheart" piece. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

jeff

I'd initially thought that as well but began to second-guess myself because I'd never seen a sweetheart EGA that big before. I've seen (and have examples of) EGAs that are standard dress blues size and standard greens size but I've never seen one that is service cover sized before.

Ya learn something new every day. Below is a comparison of the one posted here earlier and the other two that I have that I was pretty sure were sweetheart pieces. They're all H-H marked. The one in the center, the standard dress blues size, has a slightly offset pin and the pin swivel is partly covering the H-H logo. You can also see on the picture of the fronts that the smallest one has the gold worn almost completely off the continents but retains most of it on the anchor.

post-1107-1302390580.jpg

probably an unfinished officer piece converted to a sweetheart piece...fairly common practice to convert issue pieces to homemade sweetheart

interesting set that I was on the range and missed out on on eBay...appears to be homemade from a pair of private purchase M37 dress emblems...drilled out with a red, white and blue rhinestone...

_CF_9__g_2k___KGrHqJ__hIE0fogtfJuBNWHgCWbEQ___3.jpg

FrankEaton01

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate your expertise, as I know little about early EGAs. I actually spent quite a bit of time reviewing the EGA reference section to try to determine its age. It occurred to me that it might be a "converted" collar emblem, but it doesn't appear that a pin was removed from the back.

It's currently on hold.

• 2 weeks later...
usmcaviator
I came across a handful of these. They are just over 1/4 inch tall. I believe they are sterling silver, but they have no markings. They are clutch back of different varieties. i think they are post WWII lapel pins. Any info would be appreciated.

Your assessment is right on. 1960's-1980's tie tacs, lapel badges.

S/F,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Here's my tiny little contribution.. Both pieces would fit on a dime. Seems to be sterling and gold.. Only marking is a K in a shield with a C in a circle under the K. I think it cost me a dollar.

Fins..

Estate sale find today, similar to yours, only mine is with an EGA. Any idea as to vintage? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1305247545.jpg

Appears to me, a 30's vintage pin. The "droop wings" on both pieces are the clue.

Thanks for the info. I have posted this next one before on another thread. Comments received seemed to think that it was very early because of having the longitude lines. What do you think? Thanks, Al Hischler in Dallas.

post-12790-1305283066.jpg

the chain may be WWII, the droop wing was commonly used on sweetheart insignia through WWII and even into Korea

the other one, I'd say WWI-20s

• 3 months later...
seen a few of these lately in different colors...snatched this one in clear. bakelite heart with an M37 EM EGA on it...nice little sweetheart piece

Brig-

I am pretty sure that is not bakelite, but perspex (acrylic) from a destroyed aircraft canopy or bubble. The guys in theater would use that too, not just the aluminum....What do you think?

Great pieces, all.

Brig-

I am pretty sure that is not bakelite, but perspex (acrylic) from a destroyed aircraft canopy or bubble. The guys in theater would use that too, not just the aluminum....What do you think?

Great pieces, all.

that makes sense...but someone must have been churning them out due to the quantity

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well there's always something new even after the dozens of sweetheart pieces already shown here. This one is sterling and because of the "IN SERVICE" wording I assume it's WWII. It is too big for a charm bracelet, I think, so it may go on a necklace.

usmcinservice.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not a collector of USMC items but found this recently, I believe it is a WWI Sweetheart item as I could not find any other company that picked up the design after the maker closed the business. I had to spend some time just trying to find out what is really was and did not see another with the USMC on it. This is the basic information I found. I can provide more in depth information if someone wants it. Anyone else ever seen one?

1915 Lingerie Clasp

US Patent# 1,129,361

Filed July 30, 1914

Ford-Perry Company was in operation from 1915-1922 and registered in RI as a jeweler. Made most of their items from silver, gold, plate, or 1/20.

Signed: PAT. 1915

F.P.CO.

1" Long

3/8" Wide

3/8" Tall

3/4" symbol

-TRR

post-110009-0-93781800-1361509695.jpg

post-110009-0-47947800-1361509696.jpg

post-110009-0-84305600-1361509790.jpg

I think it's likely WWII...a lot of WWII sweetheart jewelry utilized old model EGA's...my question is what the heck kind of lingerie did it clasp? Very interesting